Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Photo: Rodriguez with Clemson flag at World Cup
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

FB Update: Photo: Rodriguez with Clemson flag at World Cup

Jun 17, 2014, 9:27 AM

Photo: Rodriguez with Clemson flag at World Cup

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we didnt play in Rio though..***

Jun 17, 2014, 9:45 AM

He didn't say he went to a USA game

Jun 17, 2014, 10:28 AM

He said he went to the World Cup, which means way more than attending any specific game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he went to the country where the world cup is***

Jun 17, 2014, 10:30 AM

LOL, that is your assumption

Jun 17, 2014, 10:39 AM

You have no idea if he's been to a game, or is going to a game.

Seems a weird thing to take objection to.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Envy anyone?

Jun 17, 2014, 10:51 AM [ in reply to he went to the country where the world cup is*** ]

TIP is just jealous he is not there and if he was there that his twitpic wouldn't be news on a Clemson site if he was to hold up a Clemson flag to take a picture.

Rio is the "HOST CITY FOR THE 2014 WORLD CUP". Regardless of where USA plays, DRod was at the World Cup supporting the USA.

it would be cool to be there. But I am not envious

Jun 17, 2014, 10:53 AM

I'm in a pretty cool spot myself right now

Re: Envy anyone?

Jun 17, 2014, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Envy anyone? ]

Rio is not the host city. Brasil is the host country, with Rio being the location of the final game.

yes exactly. Its not the olympics

Jun 17, 2014, 11:08 AM

the world cup is all ove rthe country.

and once again I am not calling Drod a liar

Re: Envy anyone?

Jun 17, 2014, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Envy anyone? ]

excuse me "A" Host city. Not "THE"...

Who gives a crap...

Jun 17, 2014, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Envy anyone? ]

Soccer sucks a $$.

Re: we didnt play in Rio though..***

Jun 17, 2014, 11:11 AM [ in reply to we didnt play in Rio though..*** ]

I've heard of a lot of Americans going to Rio instead of going to the locations of the games actually. A few of my friends went up to Natal for the game, and I believe some others may make the trip to another game...but some of these cities are really remote. Making the trip to Manaus is a difficult one. It's in the middle of the Amazon rainforest, it's oppressively hot, etc.

If I weren't here already and wanted to make the trip, I think I'd at least try to go to one game though, and then go to Rio before/after. Maybe this is what Rodriguez is doing.

plus arent they like far far away

Jun 17, 2014, 11:15 AM

its effectively like going from new york to Dallas for a game. except more remote than dallas, new york to wichita or something.

wasnt it controversial that they gave Manaus a spot?

Re: plus arent they like far far away

Jun 17, 2014, 11:32 AM

They're really far away at times. Brasil is actually larger than the Continental US (3,119,884 sq miles vs 3,287,597 sq mi) with games scattered all over the country. Rio and São Paulo are roughly the same distance as New York to Boston, so I can get there in about 45 minutes via flight...but if I wanted to go to Manaus, I'd be looking at 4 hrs in the air. Most of the other Northern cities like Natal (where the US just played) are 3 hours+. The US team is actually staying in São Paulo when they're not at games so they can practice, etc.

There's some controversy involving the smaller cities like Manaus not because of the city itself, but because they don't have professional teams large enough to fill the stadium after the World Cup is over.

Cities like Manaus and Cuiabá are interesting because they show the vast diversity of Brasil, but their stadiums are going to sit empty after the games since they aren't large cities. Sure they'll hold games there, but it's not likely they're going to ever be filled to capacity. It's fine for places like São Paulo (population: over 20,000,000) or Rio (pop: 12,000,000) or any of the other major cities though.

Overall the big thing people are angry about here is the fact that the government allows horrible conditions for the poorest people, yet see fit to spend $12 billion+ to host these events. Not to mention the insane level of corruption.

but what I had issue with with the protestors

Jun 17, 2014, 11:38 AM

was what country in the world would not spend a lot of money to host a big event like that? For instance many people in China live in terrible conditions but they spend a lot to host the olympics and people didnt go bonkers. Plus football is so engrained in the culture of Brazil did they really expect their country to pass on a chance to host for the first time since the 50s?

and are we even sure that the money spent on stadiums would be spent on the poor anyway> it would probably go to other tourism or sport interests. I have no idea how Brazil works internally but things arent as simple as hey give that money to the poor instead!

Re: but what I had issue with with the protestors

Jun 17, 2014, 12:07 PM

I agree, but if the people of China had the ability to protest things, they might. Instead their government runs them over with tanks. It's a communist country with a totally different way of doing things than a democratic society.

Ultimately, the coutry has been excited about hosting the games but this is a pretty pivotal moment for the country. It's not just about helping the poor, it's about making things sane. The government here f*cks everyone in the @ss with taxes.

If I want to buy a 16GB iPhone 5S here, the price would be $1,253. In the US that's $650. TVs on clearance here are still hundreds of dollars more than a normally priced TV in the US.

If I wanted to buy a BMW 320i in the US, prices start at $32,750. Here's it's $60,000. On top of that, the Brasilian government allows car companies to us 1/5 the welding points for cars, turning what may have once been a car with a 3-4 star crash rating into a 1-star or even lower. As a result, the mortality rate for car accidents in Brasil is five times that of the US and 10 times as much as the major countries from the EU. I believe the upper-tier of brands like Mercedes, BMW, Land Rover, etc. use the same cars as everywhere but the more normal brands take full advantage of this. Why would the government do this? Well the average profit margin on a sale in the US/EU is around 5% per car...but in Brasil, that's 15%. And who gets some nice kickbacks from all that extra profit? Yep, politicians.

So as you can see, there are a lot of crazy situations here which give the citizens more than a little right to get fired up. There are too many to get into, but I wanted to mention a few.

Re: but what I had issue with with the protestors

Jun 17, 2014, 12:09 PM

I should note that all that extra cash that it costs to buy products here goes right into the pocket of corrupt politicians. The biggest problem is it isn't just one or two levels of the gov doing this...it's every level. The taxes have to be large enough for everyone to dip their hand in the cookie jar.

Re: FB Update: Photo: Rodriguez with Clemson flag at World Cup

Jun 17, 2014, 11:25 AM

Geez - the sensitivity police are out today in full force. T_I_P simply pointed out a fact in reaction to the tweet. The tweet, the time of the tweet, and the picture of the folks holding up American flags was misleading. True story. My first reaction was that he attended the USA match last night. But wait ... it wasn't in Rio. But the game was on Sunday. But not the USA game. Must be a different scenario that Rodriguez did not allude to in his tweet.

Y'all need to chill out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's missing

Jun 17, 2014, 11:29 AM

I have no problem with anything TIP has said, it's just a discussion, but what is missing from the the thread now is a single post by Battery where he outright called Rodriguez a liar. That is probably where some of the reaction came from.

Being at the World Cup is not the same as going to the USA game. No explanation needs be given for the tweet to make perfect sense. But again, I'm not upset with TIP, it's just a simple discussion

Re: What's missing

Jun 17, 2014, 12:07 PM

Agreed - Battery's post was weird and out of line.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic