Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Quozzel, I have a question about dirty recruiting...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Quozzel, I have a question about dirty recruiting...

Aug 27, 2017, 11:01 PM

I was reading your comments about Kirby Smart & it made me curious....

How does dirty recruiting work? Like, what are the logistics of it?

I know it boils down to benefits being exchanged, but how is it all set up? Who are some big name boosters?

Do kids ever get paid, then go to another school?

I know Auburn is notorious for dirty recruiting, how do they do it? Same for Georgia? What did you mean by Kirby Smart is beaten about it?

How does someone like World Wide Wes operate for Calipari & Kentucky Basketball?

Just curious, I honestly have no clue

Thanks in advance

Go Tigers!

???

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Quozzel, I have a question about dirty recruiting...

Aug 27, 2017, 11:28 PM

Short version is that the smart coaches usually do not do it themselves. The really smart ones won't even talk about it themselves. They just let it be known that it won't be a problem but it's not their department, and then later on an agent/handler/whatever-you-wanna-call-it approaches the parents (or the player's handler) and offers/negotiates the money end. This guy will usually have no official ties to the university. It's usually even done legally to avoid IRS entanglements since the NCAA has no powers of subpoena; they can't just requisition bank records. It'll just be presented as payment for "goods and services" rendered, and there's a bunch of different ways of doing it...I'm hearing Bitcoin is getting to be a big one. Whatever, unless they're idiots, there's seldom any direct links back to the university or staff, which makes it so hard to catch or stop.

Hugh Freeze was apparently different because he was apparently a lot more old-style and Wild West about it, and he and his staff were apparently doing it themselves. Heard some stories, and then Tunsil confirmed on Draft Day that the texts about the staffers paying his mom's bills were indeed actual texts. Which is way Amateur Hour and undoubtedly had the guys in Tuscaloosa and Tallahassee shaking their heads sadly, for true. ;)

So it goes, at least until the Feds decide to take an interest in the NCAA like they did FIFA last year.

From what I've heard inside the program

Aug 27, 2017, 11:45 PM

Dabo is actually 100% against this, and if guys want to talk money exchange, our coaching staff stops pursuing them, which is why you will see guys we are going after hard and we are in their top group, then all of a sudden we stop recruiting them and they go somewhere else (like Bama, FSU, UGA, or U of M).

and Bama is first on that list, not just alphabetically.

Aug 28, 2017, 1:09 AM

Saban isn't stupid. He stays way more than an arms length away from it all. Too many bankers and lawyers in the Heart of Dixie that have graduated from The Cornerstone university with nothing in their lives more important than the Tide. Money is no object. The results since 2008 speak for themselves.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Add in an NFL-like performance enhancing

Aug 28, 2017, 2:12 AM

strength and conditioning program, and viola, a run on national championships. There's a reason you see the Alabama kids so obviously physically bigger than everyone, and it isn't protein milkshakes.

Makes beating them the "right way" all the more sweeter.

I am by no means a recruiting expert, but the subjects of

Aug 27, 2017, 11:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Quozzel, I have a question about dirty recruiting... ]

organizational dynamics and college football are interesting enough to me that I have read as much as I can about this, and have talked to a few ex players. What you say seems to be the case exactly. This seems to be true to the point that if someone asked me, "Does the Clemson coaching staff want this to be occurring or know of it occurring", my answer would be "absolutely not", but if the question is "is it occurring at Clemson" my answer would be, "if not we are the only one, and I would not bet on that being the case."

I hate it, but somehow it has to be cleaned up. Or made legit. Not sure I like the implications of either one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only thing that mitigates my thoughts on this is that

Aug 27, 2017, 11:57 PM

Clemson does not tend to get the 'cast the net' signee. Spiller was an out of nowhere signee, but there is no way we out bid for him against the FL schools. Since his signing, and including him, we have signed players on a very strategic basis. Clearly the case is that if we like the way a guy fits the culture we go after him. If not, we don't. And this is to the point that if we need to sign two very small classes in a row, that is what we do. If payola was a significant factor, we wouldnt be having such small clases in which the signed guys are so highly rated. So one can make the case that, no, we don't do what everyone else does.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have clearly backed off highly-rated players that brought up money.***

Aug 28, 2017, 1:13 AM [ in reply to I am by no means a recruiting expert, but the subjects of ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Enter Bag Man....

Aug 28, 2017, 12:07 AM

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

and another...

Aug 28, 2017, 12:08 AM

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/how-bag-man-the-sec/rm9bxjlIPEj54Usr4JoWFN/

Re: Enter Bag Man....

Aug 28, 2017, 1:48 AM [ in reply to Enter Bag Man.... ]

Thanks. Great read

Go Tigers!

???

And a few years later they take a knee during

Aug 28, 2017, 6:57 AM [ in reply to Enter Bag Man.... ]

the National Anthem. Haven't watched the NFL in years.

Re: And a few years later they take a knee during

Aug 28, 2017, 7:17 AM

I pulled away from the NFL many years ago. With all the Players that Dabo and Clemson has been putting in the NFL, I'm starting to become a Texan fan. When I gave up on the NFL in the replacement player time, I was a Dolphin fan.

I was just about to link that article - beat me to it.***

Aug 28, 2017, 8:07 AM [ in reply to Enter Bag Man.... ]

Re: Quozzel, I have a question about dirty recruiting...

Aug 28, 2017, 8:20 AM

Remember back in the 70's, maybe early 80's when SMU was given the death penalty for this type of thing. In one case Texas A & M gave a running back a car (Firebird , I think) and he then later committed and wound up going to SMU. What was TAM going to do .... report him? In one of the greatest recruiting battles even, Marcus Dupree wound up going to Oklahoma to play for Barry Switzer. I suspect a lot of money changed hands over that. I had a number of friends who played for Georgia in the late 60's and 70's and they told me if they needed a little cash, all they had to do was go to a local men's store and look under a certain pile of clothing and they would find a $100 bill.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

$100 BiLL ...

Aug 28, 2017, 8:34 AM

That!s what my ole GF's called me due to my buying them a Lobster meal with wine on our 1st date..way b/4 I became the infamous "Lightbulb" BiLL on TigerNet.

??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LBB.....you da man!***

Aug 28, 2017, 10:51 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic