Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Thoughts from the WestZone: A perfect day, defense and who would you hire?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 66
| visibility 1

New Story: Thoughts from the WestZone: A perfect day, defense and who would you hire?

Oct 23, 2014, 1:52 PM

Thoughts from the WestZone: A perfect day, defense and who would you hire?

Saturday is supposed to be one of those perfect, sun splashed afternoons that are perfect for tailgating. The evening hours are forecast to be crisp and clear, the perfect conditions for a Clemson football game in Death Valley. What should Syracuse expect? What other nuggets came out of the WestZone this week?
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we could get Muschamp, would we want him?

Oct 23, 2014, 1:59 PM

He may be a great DC, but he has lost control of his players. Do we want someone that has been toxic to another program like he has been?

We didn't want to keep Chad Kelly, I can't imagine Dabo would want Muschamp

Re: If we could get Muschamp, would we want him?

Oct 23, 2014, 2:00 PM

He just hasn't done a good job as a Head Coach. That happens to plenty of guys who have tons of success as coordinators. I would certainly take him.

Gimme Narduzzi of Michigan State..

Oct 23, 2014, 2:06 PM

Think what he could do with the talent we get! Venables is great and I think most anybody is a step down, but I think Narduzzi would be one of the few that wouldn't be. Michigan State's D has been lights out for the past few years and they don't exactly recruit like AL or the territories of GA, FL, SC, NC and VA like we do. He'd be a good one.

I would say yes.***

Oct 23, 2014, 2:48 PM [ in reply to If we could get Muschamp, would we want him? ]

Reggie Herring

Oct 23, 2014, 2:06 PM

doubt he'd leave the NFL though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BV is gonna be gone sooner rather than later

Oct 23, 2014, 2:11 PM

That's for sure. I'd take Muschamp, absolutely. However he'll be highly sought after and hard to land. Many coordinators that haven't made good head coaches go back to being great coordinators and I'm sure Muschamp will to. If we cant get him, there are many other great up and coming guys who would be good fits. We won't have a problem finding one

+1 for the Oklahoma Sooner reference.***

Oct 23, 2014, 2:18 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BV is gonna be gone sooner rather than later

Oct 23, 2014, 5:13 PM [ in reply to BV is gonna be gone sooner rather than later ]

From what I've heard, Venables is waiting for the K-State job if/when Synder retires. BV is a KSU alum and word is that's his dream job so I highly doubt he'll leave for another HC job prior to that...best bet, he sticks around until Snyder retires and then leaves to coach his alma mater. Here's to hoping ol' Snyder has another 2-3 years left in him.

Any DC would be a major step down. Hopefully Snyder will

Oct 23, 2014, 9:01 PM

coach 4-5 years. Excellent coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

....insert baboon noise here.***

Oct 23, 2014, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Reggie Herring ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RH was almost as bad as Kevin Steele...

Oct 23, 2014, 7:53 PM [ in reply to Reggie Herring ]

you could always count on the D getting burned on several plays throughout the game with him as Coordinator.

Re: Reggie Herring

Oct 23, 2014, 10:17 PM [ in reply to Reggie Herring ]

Been there, done that! No thanks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reggie Herring

Oct 24, 2014, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Reggie Herring ]

Dude, it's about more than just sideline antics, which were, unfortunately, what gave Herring a reputation. The on-field product was average.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Rex Ryan***

Oct 23, 2014, 2:10 PM

Geoff Collins

Oct 23, 2014, 2:10 PM

I have seen Miss State play several times in person last year and this year. After watching his defense last year play the first time, I said this guy is the real deal. I think he is a coach on the rise.

Butch Davis would also be at the top of my list but not sure he would consider a DC position.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Thoughts from the WestZone: A perfect day, defense and who would you hire?

Oct 23, 2014, 2:11 PM

This is not a joke, seeing that he already has ties to the school and unless something miraculous happens, he will be available.....The one and only Rex Ryan! Think about it...

Re: New Story: Thoughts from the WestZone: A perfect day, defense and who would you hire?

Oct 23, 2014, 2:22 PM

Randy Shannon will be a name mentioned.

Agree

Oct 25, 2014, 3:19 AM

If this scenario happens relatively soon, then Shannon's name will come up.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was impressed with Don Brown from BC

Oct 23, 2014, 2:19 PM

his players played well even with a bit of a shortcoming of talent.

Other than Muschamp?

Oct 23, 2014, 2:19 PM

People to at least look at:

DCs worth a shot:
Lance Anderson, Stanford
Pat Narduzzi, Michigan St
Don Brown, Boston College

Position Coaches:
Brick Haley, LSU DLine
Bo Davis, 'Bama DLine
Ron Burton, Michigan St DLine
Mike Tressel, Michigan St Linebackers

Re:John Chavis: SC Native

Oct 23, 2014, 8:11 PM

John grew up in Dillon and has tons of family in SC. Played sparingly as a walk on at Tennessee but he is Dillon County born and Bread. Come on home John if BV bolts. Please!

Ellis Johnson***

Oct 23, 2014, 2:20 PM

At first I chuckled

Oct 23, 2014, 2:50 PM

then I said ^^^this^^^ is good.

Like Chuck Norris 360 round house kick 80 feet in the air to the face good.

Need to update and add on Chick fil a facilities on Clemson's campus and move lake.

Re: Ellis Johnson***

Oct 23, 2014, 4:54 PM [ in reply to Ellis Johnson*** ]

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best defensive mind ever to walk the sidelines at Clemson. Danny Ford.***

Oct 23, 2014, 2:21 PM

Would save us some money too, since he'll work for free! :)***

Oct 23, 2014, 2:35 PM

Wrong side of the ball.***

Oct 23, 2014, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Best defensive mind ever to walk the sidelines at Clemson. Danny Ford.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best defensive mind ever to walk the sidelines at Clemson. Danny Ford.******

Oct 23, 2014, 5:38 PM [ in reply to Best defensive mind ever to walk the sidelines at Clemson. Danny Ford.*** ]

Danny Ford--No

Oct 23, 2014, 5:42 PM

Like other old school coaches, Danny would struggle against modern offenses.
Danny was great in his time, but let's all move on.

Re: Danny Ford--No

Oct 23, 2014, 6:27 PM

Danny Ford never coached Defense - directly. Danny Ford played tight end and offensive tackle at Alabama.

He coached Offensive Line at Alabama, VPI&SU and Clemson before becoming head coach.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Danny Ford***

Oct 23, 2014, 2:22 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: Danny Ford***

Oct 23, 2014, 7:44 PM

He was the offensive line coach. Not sure how that would translate to d coordinator.

He may have been the Oline Coach but he was D

Oct 23, 2014, 7:56 PM

minded!

His philosophy was to put all of his best players on Defense. As far as he was concerned at QB, he could teach an offensive lineman to handoff!

I'm not sure about the Dabo tenure but I do know during the Tommy Bowden era, he was a paid consultant on the defense several years.

Lee Nanny and John Phillips ... both defensive players who

Oct 24, 2014, 12:43 PM

were converted to All-ACC offensive linemen while Danny was our coach.

Just sort of an "on the other hand" sort of reply :)

Pat Narduzzi at Mich St

Oct 23, 2014, 2:26 PM

I like Pat, Michigan Defense has been pretty good with him in charge. Although I love the idea of Rex Ryan or even Danny Ford, but I'm not sure either of them would even be considered by Dabo.

Re: New Story: Thoughts from the WestZone: A perfect day, defense and who would you hire?***

Oct 23, 2014, 2:37 PM

Oct 23, 2014, 2:38 PM

Marion Hobby

Oct 23, 2014, 2:39 PM

Marion Hobby

BV is the best coach we have, period.

Oct 23, 2014, 2:40 PM

It will be a sad day when he leaves. And I will follow whatever team he coaches. I just hate to think of us without BV as DC. Would love to see him back some day as HC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well he had a chance when he interviewed for the HC

Oct 23, 2014, 4:20 PM

job in 08. Ole WR coach beat em out ;)

Jeremy Pruitt***

Oct 23, 2014, 2:57 PM

Re: Jeremy Pruitt***

Oct 23, 2014, 4:54 PM

no way he leaves the dawgs for us

Re: Jeremy Pruitt***

Oct 23, 2014, 5:48 PM

You can cross off Pruitt and Mich St. DC. Those are lateral moves at best. Those guys next jobs will be as a head coach. Now- mich St LB coach a good one to watch. Moving to Clemson as DC is a promotion for sure. Brown at BC is interesting. ....

Butch Davis made me laugh.

Ellis Johnson is intriguing......depends on what he thinks his ceiling is at current gig.

And LoL at someone calling for the return on the Apocablitz ..... will pass on Herring.

Exactly. Why not go for the best.***

Oct 24, 2014, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Jeremy Pruitt*** ]

Love Clemson and Clemson Football

Oct 23, 2014, 3:18 PM

About 50 years ago, I came to Clemson with my Boy Scout Troop to watch a football game on a Saturday afternoon. That day I fell in love with the campus and Clemson football. I have been and STILL am a fan and always will be one. Clemson is and has ALWAYS been a class act. It is THE UNIVERSITY of the state!!!!! GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Re: Love Clemson and Clemson Football

Oct 23, 2014, 3:20 PM

1972 for me. My life has never been the same.

Oct 23, 2014, 3:48 PM

Dave Aranda from Wisconsin might not be a bad pickup but I like Pat Narduzzi the best but I don't see him leaving Michigan State

Oct 23, 2014, 4:53 PM

ELLIS JOHNSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMHO no one else is even close.. and he loves the Tigers

Oct 23, 2014, 5:39 PM

DC replacement- track record says someone on staff or a guy from Texas no one has heard of just a few years removed from HS.

Kidding......sort of.

Promoting would have to be Reed with us hiring a well thought of LB coach. Don't think Brooks would consider the job.

Hiring would be a crap shoot. I don't think Muschamp would be considered. Dabo has yet to have a former college HC on his staff. He simply isn't strong enough in the meeting room to handle that IMO. I say another proven mid major coordinator is the likely hire.

Oct 24, 2014, 1:11 AM

Brad Scott was a former HC
>
> Hiring would be a crap shoot. I don't think Muschamp
> would be considered. Dabo has yet to have a former
> college HC on his staff. He simply isn't strong
> enough in the meeting room to handle that IMO. I say
> another proven mid major coordinator is the likely
> hire.

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Caldwell was a HC at Vanderbilt for one year***

Oct 24, 2014, 3:49 AM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Oct 23, 2014, 6:09 PM

Ellis Johnson would be the best hire. Doubt he would leave his current job though. Great defensive mind and is married to a Clemson grad. (That's a plus). Watched him at the Citadel and had a great reputation with the players. Has a great resume ( read his on google) but if he ever decided to leave where he is, he would be highly sought after and I don't think Clemson could afford him. I think his next move if he leaves would be to possible NFL job.

Oct 23, 2014, 7:51 PM

Hopefully we can hang on to Venables, but, hypothetically speaking I like Ellis Johnson. He's from nearby Shelby, NC and has been an asst. at CU before. I believe he would consider it. I like Muschamp but not sure his personality would mesh. I like Ryan, but I think he's in the NFL for life, no matter what the position. My final pick would be any disciple who's coached D under Nick Saban.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rob Spence

Oct 23, 2014, 8:23 PM

The job of a DC is to make offenses look bad. Nobody can make an offense look bad better than Rob Spence.

Spence is a head coach now... at a high school. Really.

Oct 24, 2014, 12:32 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Spence_(American_football)

Oct 23, 2014, 9:11 PM

Brian Dawkins !

If we loose venerable see are domed .***

Oct 23, 2014, 9:19 PM

I wonder how many people loose sight of the fact that

Oct 23, 2014, 9:36 PM

"loose" is Tigernet lingo for "lose"? I would hate for non-regulars to think Hood can't spell.

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

This article

Oct 23, 2014, 10:06 PM

Misses the mark in my opinion.

What to tell someone to see for Homecoming?

Ummm.....Bowman Field would be first.

Just sayin

To answer the inane question

Oct 23, 2014, 10:07 PM

Danny Ford

Coach Spaz was a pretty good DC at BC

Oct 23, 2014, 10:54 PM

Not sure if he ended up somewhere else though. I'd really like someone younger with energy like Venables. Yeah, and while I'm wishing/dreaming (as someone else mentioned) - Jeremy Pruitt would work.

Vic Koenning. Does anyone remember how awesome

Oct 24, 2014, 12:40 AM

Clemson's D was when he was the DC?

Yes but no

Oct 25, 2014, 3:17 AM

I would like to get him back as DC, but the bad blood between him and Dabo will prevent that.

Isaih Battle a 3rd or 4th round draft pick? NO f'king way!

Oct 24, 2014, 9:27 AM

Not even close.

And your qualifications are.....

Oct 24, 2014, 9:34 AM

....I've read elsewhere he is a possible mid round pick if he were to come out.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Maybe. NFL places too much emphasis on measurables.

Oct 24, 2014, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Isaih Battle a 3rd or 4th round draft pick? NO f'king way! ]

nm

Replies: 66
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic