Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ego like UNC but a trophy case like.... Clemson's.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Ego like UNC but a trophy case like.... Clemson's.

Mar 16, 2017, 2:25 PM

Basketball at Clemson from a fan's perspective is just like south carolina in football.

Go ahead and tell me how good Clemson is from a basketball standpoint historically that fans and alumni should sit on such high horses. We can want more. We can hope for more. We can even demand more. But don't act like we have been there before.

My favorite fan comment in Clemson basketball... "No way we should be losing to ______."

Majority of Clemson fans, not Clemson basketball fans, do not know enough or even learn enough about basketball to be of real substance. Basketball is the middle between two favorites... football and baseball. Each of those two sports has better foundation, stronger suport culture of success, and more knowledgable fan involvement than Clemson basketball. Heck soccer has more knowledgeable fan involvement and perspective than Clemson basketball.

I support the team. I don't like losing. I want to see Clemson win consistently and become what I think they can become. I get mad when they lose and hate to see Tigers play "dumb".

Is Coach BB the right man to move Clemson closer to being what many want it to be? Who knows? It is not my call. I put my trust in the current President and AD. They know more about it than I do.

So I support the team.

Clemson Coaches in my lifetime:

Brownell. I like him and think he has had it harder than other coaches before him. I want him to succeed. I belive this year was first year Tigers finished below preseason expectations. The season just went wrong for the Tigers. It is what it is.

Liked OP but hated his live or die by the press and hated that he could not win games when the athletic chaos approach wasn't working, plus thought him a coward for how he left for "DePaul".

Shyatt...? Well shyatt is a phrase I usually say when I am po'd or hit my head on something or stub my toe.

Loved Barnes for his ownership and fight... but he left for bigger and better. I was watching from afar as I wasn't in SC at the time.

Enjoyed Cliff Ellis and saw Clemson down UNC by hitting a last second shot from right of the FT line. He is the only Clemson coach to ever win ACC Coach of the year.

Went to Bill Foster's basketball camp and got autographs from Tree Rollins and others. He was the first coach that I remember and the coach for most of my childhood.

Only heard about Tates Locke and his "alternative" approach to winning. I was too young.

Bobby Roberts was coach when I was born.

Go Tigers. What else should we say.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ego like UNC but a trophy case like.... Clemson's.

Mar 16, 2017, 2:45 PM

I dont think expecting to have more than 1 NCAA T appearance in 7 years is having an ego like UNC.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Mar 16, 2017, 9:35 PM

I think you know what I mean.

Look at Clemson recruiting and its current players. Tell me if they really should have played UNC to OT and pushed Duke like they did in Cameron and during ACC tournament. Did they do it on superior talent?

They lost close games bc they have not been there before.
This team played better basketball this year than last year. They just lost close ones this year and that is with Dante and Gabe AWOL most games.

I have to respectfully disagree

Mar 16, 2017, 2:51 PM

Clemson basketball fans are *nothing* like South Carolina basketball fans.
We are not delusional about winning.
We don't talk about next year.
Our ego is not huge.
Their fans live and breath football; we don't live and breathe basektball.

One might say that our position is similar to their position - it's hard to see how the program will compete in such a strong conference, but even there, we don't actively root for UNC and Duke as if they were family.

type-o ... south carolina football fans***

Mar 16, 2017, 2:53 PM

Re: I have to respectfully disagree

Mar 16, 2017, 3:01 PM [ in reply to I have to respectfully disagree ]

I agree. We are not delusional like Scar football fans. In my lifetime I have seen several strong basketball programs at Clemson. It can be done. Just like we own football in the ACC , Duke and UNC own basketball. That doesn't mean that we can't be one of upper division program in the league. The right coach can get us there. If Va Tech or Miami can be good in basketball, so can we under the right coach. What has Brad done to show that he is that man? He's lost this team.

Mar 16, 2017, 2:59 PM

What about VT and FSU? Neither of them have a better history than us, but they've established decent basketball programs. Do they have more money than us? I don't think so.

MT

Who is saying we've been there before?

Mar 16, 2017, 3:00 PM

All I've seen are folks longing for the days of OP or Barnes when we had a little success. I don't think anyone would call that success UNC like.

If we do keep Brownell, what do you expect for next year? A return to some success like under OP and Barnes? Or more of the same, maybe worse?

I think calling Purnell a coward by the way he left shows

Mar 16, 2017, 3:34 PM

more ignorance than what you claim Clemson basketball fans do. Purnell wanted what was best for Clemson and he thought the athletic department wasn't doing that for his program. You can't blame the man for leaving when all he ran into was a brick wall every time he turned around. No one wants to be stuck in a dead end job and thats basically what Purnell had. Purnell begged for what they built for Brownell and if they would have given Purnell the support they have given Brownell he would more than likely be here still. The biggest bunch of horse crud I here is Clemson doesn't have the history to expect to be good. Well recruits today could give a darn what the history is they want to win and if you are trying to predict the future based on the past then good luck to ya because you're sure as heck going to need it. Under your thought pattern there would never be a champion in anything ever because no one has done it until they have. You learn from history so you don't make the same mistakes but you ### sure don't try and predict the future based off history. I was never married before I was married, I never had a job before I had a job, I wasn't born until I was born. Having not done something doesn't mean you'll never do it it just means you haven't done it yet.

It was cowardly to phone TDP from the beach after 1:00am and

Mar 16, 2017, 3:48 PM

let your players find out on Twitter the next morning

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think calling Purnell a coward by the way he left shows

Mar 16, 2017, 3:51 PM [ in reply to I think calling Purnell a coward by the way he left shows ]

The administration would not upgrade facilities for Purnell. His style excited fans and made us relevant. This argument that we can't be good has been proven wrong in years past. I'm not comparing football to basketball because football has a better success rate. However,if Bowden was still coaching here,how many ACC titles would we have now? How many national titles would we have? None! A change was made and we are better for it. In seven years Brownell has not shown the coaching skills,a dynamic energy, or recruiting skills like Dabo. It's time to move on.

Where we've been is totally irrelevant...

Mar 16, 2017, 3:38 PM

The only thing that matters is what we can and should expect going forward, and anyone who says Clemson can't be great in both football and basketball, I say take your defeatist mentality elsewhere.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Where we've been is totally irrelevant...

Mar 16, 2017, 3:51 PM

Agreed!

Mar 16, 2017, 3:53 PM

Only a coot would make a comparison to UNC. Ungraded, self study will not keep a player on Clemson's basketball team.

Mar 16, 2017, 9:24 PM

Old Hickory
You can call me what you want
But my daughter's middle name is Tiger.
i am a graduate of Clemson.
I married a Tiger alum
Wife's parents cousins aunts uncles went to Clemson
Wife'grandfather was Mayor of Clemson. Both parents went to Clemson my Jeter went to aclenson

Mar 16, 2017, 9:30 PM

I'am class of '71. What's that got to do woih UNC fraud? That eas my point.

Mar 16, 2017, 9:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Ego like UNC but a trophy case like.... Clemson's. ]

Old Hickory
You can call me what you want
But my daughter's middle name is Tiger.
i am a graduate of Clemson.
I married a Tiger alum
My sister is an alum
Wife's parents cousins aunts uncles went to Clemson
Wife's grandfather was Mayor of Clemson.
I watched the 1981 National Championship Live.
Have a collegiate license plate via my state of NC that has a Tiger Paw smack dabbed installed on it.

So you better get your friggin facts straight when do call me a name.

Ok?

Huh?

Mar 16, 2017, 3:55 PM

I don't think anybody in their right mind thinks Clemson is historically good and basketball...

That doesn't mean that, at this point in time, we should be losing to mid-majors in the first round of the NIT

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Regardless of any of that

Mar 16, 2017, 5:11 PM

There's no argument that can be made that refutes the following fact...

In the past 33 YEARS of Clemson basketball, he has the single longest absence from the NCAA tournament of any coach in that time period.

In that time we have fired two other coaches, one who was more successful in getting us to the tourney than B-Rad.

Even if you think basketball will only be an afterthought at Clemson, BrownL is running a program that has been unsuccessful for a longer period of time than any other coach in the past 33 years. I can accept that we won't ever be UNC or even a tourney team every other year, just give me every third year. 33% of the time we make the tourney and I'll be happy. 7 years of non-improvement is too much for even the fan with low expectations to want to make a change.

If we can't expect that level of success, whey even waste the money to field a program.

I think everyone knows Clemson history, but if we never

Mar 16, 2017, 5:34 PM

expect more than what we've been, how will we ever be more?

Disagree

Mar 16, 2017, 5:54 PM

6 straight years missing the big dance, an embarrassing home loss in the NIT, losing almost every close game and looking clueless while doing so is more than enough to know Brownell isn't the man for the job... He seems like a great guy. I am proud as an alum that he represents us well. However, he is paid a lot of money to coach basketball.

I am glad our players don't get in trouble and don't embarrass us, but at some point he needs to win. I think we have passed that point and it is time to move on. I don't think expecting to make the big dance every 3rd year or so is unreasonable. I don't expect to be UNC. But, we can't be in the top 9 in the ACC? Come on...

I don't think expecting to make it 2 out of every 3 years is

Mar 16, 2017, 6:13 PM

unreasonable. All we need to do, to make the tourney, is finish in the top 8 or 9 in the conference, and win most of the non-conference games. I don't expect to be on UNCheat or Duke's level, but is it too much to expect to be on the level of Miami, FSU or VaTech?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think expecting to make it 2 out of every 3 years is

Mar 16, 2017, 6:17 PM

Va Tech hasn't been making the tournament most years. I don't think FSU is either, and obviously neither does anything in the tournament.

So we aren't allowed to have expectationa

Mar 16, 2017, 5:59 PM

We should just accept stinking the place up? All anyone asks is a tourney trip every few years.

The comparison you made initially is pretty bad...not the same at all.

Mar 16, 2017, 6:01 PM

If the NCAAT was truly the best 64 teams in the country, Clemson would be in it most years.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic