Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So if South Carolina public schools go to e-learning
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

So if South Carolina public schools go to e-learning

Jul 7, 2020, 1:16 AM

So if South Carolina public schools go to e-learning, do we get a significant reduction in our property tax?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, we’ll see

Jul 7, 2020, 2:03 AM

I’ve had my kids in private schools since 3k and I haven’t seen any reduction. BTW 21 total years between 2 kids.. so far.

Message was edited by: TigerJS®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unless you live within spitting distance of I-95

Jul 7, 2020, 9:08 AM

Why?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Unless you live within spitting distance of I-95

Jul 7, 2020, 10:22 AM

class size, discipline, less violence, higher percentage of committed parents, etsedera etsedara..

Of course, I'm just spitballing from my own experience and perspective.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Yep

Jul 7, 2020, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Unless you live within spitting distance of I-95 ]

I live within spitting distance of 95. No way in Hades I would put my kids in the public schools here. CO94 pretty much nailed it. It’s not lack of funding or willing teachers that’s the problem imo. It’s a percentage of students and their parents who have no interest in education yet are catered to by upper administration. The teachers and some of the principles are in an untenable situation and do the best they can. As for me, it’s hell on my wallet but my kids come first.

Because he wants his kid to get a great education?***

Jul 7, 2020, 10:00 PM [ in reply to Unless you live within spitting distance of I-95 ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Wren High School offers a fantastic education.

Jul 8, 2020, 3:46 PM

Free.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what is 3k and why would you expect to get a tax

Jul 7, 2020, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Well, we’ll see ]

reduction for putting kids in private school? That was your choice, you could have used the free public school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2020, 11:04 AM

Daycare.

Re: what is 3k and why would you expect to get a tax

Jul 7, 2020, 4:41 PM [ in reply to what is 3k and why would you expect to get a tax ]

3k is kindergarten. If I pay a full tuition to put my kids in a fully funded school, I have actually done the public schools a favor by reducing class size. I don’t really expect one, I know how it works. Was just presenting a different scenario to the OP question of E-learning possibly causing a reduction of PT. BTW, if you are familiar with Pee Dee area schools, (outside of some of the elementary schools) it really isn’t a choice.

Your kids are so bad that their absence adds to the

Jul 7, 2020, 6:55 PM

classroom environment?

Re: Your kids are so bad that their absence adds to the

Jul 7, 2020, 7:20 PM

Because his children aren’t there, the teachers have more time for the other students.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Did you bust out a calculator to come to that conclusion?***

Jul 8, 2020, 3:45 PM

My kids are well behaved

Jul 7, 2020, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Your kids are so bad that their absence adds to the ]

Mom and I keep my school activities on the DL.

Re: So if South Carolina public schools go to e-learning

Jul 7, 2020, 2:28 AM

The same arms race that has been going in the college football world has been going on in public schools for some time. The Superintendents basically see it as their hand print or legacy if they can push a new school on the tax payers. And it is always deemed as essential to your child's future, because children nowadays cant learn if the school is 30years old without a new 3k seat gym and 7k seat football stadium with 10k sqft weight room and a jumbotron than cost more than most Southern Conference schools have.

Now factor in the educators who mailed it in the last half of last school year ( having a child in school I dealt with it 1st hand)and then some who are refusing to go back to work this fall if school is held on campuses.

Taxpayers get absolutely raped on the cost of public school in this state and if you speak up about it, then you hate kids and education.

But yeah, those big new schools do look pretty sitting empty.

You do realize that homeowner occupied homes don’t have

Jul 7, 2020, 7:34 AM

School tax assessed right? We pay less toward public schools on average than most states.

Re: You do realize that homeowner occupied homes don’t have

Jul 7, 2020, 8:58 AM

I live in York County and approximately 50% of my net taxes go to "School Debt Service".

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

You didn't hold a referendum to decide

Jul 7, 2020, 9:09 AM

on taxes for the new schools?

Maybe. That would have been before I moved here..***

Jul 7, 2020, 9:25 AM

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Maybe. That would have been before I moved here..***

Jul 7, 2020, 9:57 AM

Yes, but school tax votes are always held on a stand-alone voting day, separate from the general election or even the primaries. The teachers and education lobby can easily win, unless there is a very powerful, and organized, opposition.

Jul 7, 2020, 3:05 PM [ in reply to Re: You do realize that homeowner occupied homes don’t have ]

And parts of York County...Fort MIll especially, ha e so eod the best public schools in the state.

Jul 8, 2020, 5:45 PM

My wife and I have lived in Rock Hill since 1988 and she has been in education for 25 years now in Charlotte Mecklenburg schools. She will tell you that any kid can get a good education if the parents support them. Good teachers can help, but it still takes expectations from the parents to really help make the kids have an appreciation for education and respect for the teachers.

All that being said she is taking her retirement from CMS at the end of this month. She will then start Classes in Fort Mill Schools this year because she wants to teach in one of the top schools districts in the area and she is looking forward to the culture change.

Go Tigers!

Congrats and agree

Jul 8, 2020, 10:26 PM

about the importance of a solid support structure. Some kids can still make it without that stability/support, but the odds are definitely against them.

As far as the culture change...CMS is just a huge system and that creates challenges in and of itself. I’m sure FMS has its share of challenges and politics as well but does have the advantage of being in a fairly affluent area and smaller size overall. Any idea in which school she will be teaching?

I wouldn’t assume your experience with teachers

Jul 7, 2020, 3:20 PM [ in reply to Re: So if South Carolina public schools go to e-learning ]

‘Mailing it in’ was typical. I know several in our district who spent much more time/effort teaching and helping students in one on one online sessions. Even a special ed teacher who would visit homes of her students every day...sit on the driveway apart from the student and work with them individually...even gave an IPad to a student without a home computer so they wouldn’t fall behind. That teacher was my wife, and I’m proud of the job she did under difficult circumstances.

I understand there are some teachers who don’t go this extra mile...but I know of many more who do...and the overall lack of respect for the profession is disheartening.

Re: I wouldn’t assume your experience with teachers

Jul 7, 2020, 4:47 PM

I have some lifelong friends who are teachers, principals, and asst principals here in the Pee Dee area. I don’t know how they do it. I know why, but still, my hat is off to them.

I don’t know why they do it either...

Jul 7, 2020, 6:00 PM

I do know my wife left a much more lucrative accounting career to be a special needs teacher for pre-k and K aged kids. In her case, I know she gets a lot of happiness and satisfaction helping a kid move from moderate or mild special needs classroom to a mainstream class. She sure doesn’t do it for the money...and I must surely must be committed since that career change probably delayed my own retirement by 4-5 years.

Hats off to your wife.

Jul 7, 2020, 6:56 PM [ in reply to I wouldn’t assume your experience with teachers ]

The teachers that I know work their ##### off as well. I'm sick of the hate that SC public schools get.

Reduce taxes.

Jul 7, 2020, 3:34 AM

Funny.

Taxes in SC are pretty low to begin with

Jul 7, 2020, 3:09 PM

Anyone complaining just has no perspective.

Jul 7, 2020, 5:31 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2020, 7:15 AM

if they do that there should be an uprising. when is enough enough. are we sheep or actual citizens of the country.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SOUTH CAROLINIANS, IT'S TIME TO RISE UP AND

Jul 7, 2020, 3:33 PM

REBEL AGAINST ONLINE SCHOOLING AND WAL-MART MASK REQUIREMENTS!!!

simple...

Jul 7, 2020, 7:22 AM

no!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Effective Property Tax Rate is 0.57%

Jul 7, 2020, 8:51 AM

https://smartasset.com/taxes/south-carolina-property-tax-calculator

dang my property taxes are low

Jul 7, 2020, 10:02 AM

compared to others.

Re: Effective Property Tax Rate is 0.57%

Jul 7, 2020, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Effective Property Tax Rate is 0.57% ]

Exactly. Those of you complaining about property taxes in SC, have no idea what the rest of this country pays. 2.54% in some parts of NJ, 2.1% where I live, 2.3% Long Island, 1.5% in CT and PA Maryland isn't that far off. SC and Colorado are the only states I know of that are that cheap. Well Hawaii is cheap but housing is expensive.

Imagine a shitbox house in NJ cost 550k and you are spending 12k a year on taxes. My parents house in Anderson looks better than these houses and cost less and property taxes are 1400 a year.

Y'all are lucky!

Discuss with teachers & educators what funding is necessary

Jul 7, 2020, 9:29 AM

for effective e-learning. Discuss with teachers what “additional effort” will be involved _ especially if part in-person and part e-learning.

Maybe some on this Board can comment. I would like to hear their opinions since I am not an educator.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Property taxes are going up not down

Jul 7, 2020, 10:13 AM

Cities, counties, and state governments are strapped for money due to the economic slowdown. North Myrtle Beach already increased their property taxes.

https://www.wmbfnews.com/2020/06/29/north-myrtle-beach-city-council-approves-budget-property-tax-increase/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

they will have to spend that money quick to get the rural

Jul 7, 2020, 10:42 AM

folks able to get broadband - unless of course they want to discriminate.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: they will have to spend that money quick to get the rural

Jul 7, 2020, 2:37 PM

Just use Starlink from SpaceX for high speed broadband.

let me know when that comes online with no download cap***

Jul 7, 2020, 6:18 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fixed wireless covers most of rural SC

Jul 7, 2020, 10:23 PM [ in reply to they will have to spend that money quick to get the rural ]

10 Mbps.

Short answer ... No.***

Jul 7, 2020, 1:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

No worries. I’m hearing schools will open quickly, beautifully in the fall.***

Jul 7, 2020, 5:10 PM

Jul 7, 2020, 5:16 PM

I've talked to a few people about this, but I'm not an expert.

My county in GA has the 2nd best school system in the state (Columbia County, the red suburb of Augusta). They bought Ipads for every student that only is useful for school. (That's what my wife says; she works in an afterschool program but has no direct knowledge.)

Friends who are teachers but I don't see right now: last input I had was how inefficient elearning is. Very little quality group lesson time, kids needing lots more individual time because they are distracted during lesson time. Some don't have quiet study places, some have siblings that are learning in the same room, lack of accountability, etc.

Most distressing of all was the report from Boston where 30 % of inner city minority kids had never even logged into the eLearning website the first time since classes were suspended at the end of March.

Some professional educators I've read have expressed the opinions that if a child doesn't utilize certain educational skills for a 6-month period, they will have to relearn them. (Like multiplication, spelling, grammar rules, etc.) We are looking at an entire generation of minority kids being left behind because of elearning if we don't find solutions. A good education is built using layering techniques. If part of the foundation is missing, these kids don't have the support network to teach themselves.

The greatest abuse in the history of America is the inadequacy of our inner city schools, but how do you fix it? Certainly not by elearning.

Jul 7, 2020, 10:30 PM

E-learning is more than just pushing a few buttons on pre-packaged programs. Schools still had personnel and operational costs. Our teachers presented lessons online, graded assignments, answered emails, and restructured their teaching styles to fit the situation. The schools still had utility bills, software licenses, printing and mailing costs, etc. The cafeteria workers packed breakfasts & lunches which were delivered by bus drivers, and the tech support staff worked long hours to be sure equipment and software functioned properly. Resource officers monitored the food distribution/wi-fi sites and counselors provided support services and made sure seniors could meet college deadlines. I'm sure the school district's budget categories looked very different in the fourth quarter, but they still had many of the same expenses.

Jul 8, 2020, 7:43 PM

Greenville county schools have basically announced that they are offering 2 options, online or in person and parents are being asked to commit to a version soon and will have to stick to their choice so that appropriate teachers can be placed.

Have to learn A, B, C, and even D, before you think about e.

Jul 8, 2020, 9:50 PM

Sad but true.

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic