Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Easter topic - QB's
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Easter topic - QB's

Apr 16, 2017, 2:54 PM

(This is a long post, by the way. Again, those who hate reading, I recommend Twitter.com for shorter conversations.)

Watched the cut-ups pretty close of the Clemson's QB's again yesterday and actually walked away more than slightly impressed. The bottom line is, Clemson has not one but four QB's that in any ordinary year we'd be very excited about...and truthfully, especially when Trevor Lawrence arrives, future generations will almost certainly be calling this "the most talented generation of Clemson QB's in Clemson history." Statistically our QB's weren't that great in the Spring Game but they all flashed mad tools. People can make lists all they want of "the QB pecking order" but the Clemson coaches have pretty consistently echoed that nobody's really separated...and that was obvious last Saturday. We've got four guys all muddled in a pack and in their own way they're all elite prospects...with some flaws.

What I saw, anyhow....

KELLY BRYANT broke his finger on the first snap so his delivery was going to be weird and you could tell he was having problems gripping the football...there were a good half-dozen ugly throws he made you could just throw out because that was a the result of a guy with a broken finger trying to grip and throw a football and not quite succeeding. What impressed me is that sometimes he actually did succeed and the dude has the toughness to not take himself out and compete through that even though he knew he was not 100% and wasn't going to look great. So you really can't evaluate his throwing in the Spring Game...what you can evaluate is his physical tools and decision-making...and folks, physically, this guy is Cam Newton. He's bigger, stronger, and more athletic than any of our QB's, more elusive in the open field and just has that Super Mondo Athlete thing only the truly rare specimens have. His toughness was manifest and there was an air of command about him the other QB's did not have. He led and other dudes followed. I didn't see that yet with the other guys.
The bad: Information processing. You can tell he still doesn't trust what his eyes are telling him. Some of that might have been the broken hand but he's still slow on the trigger, double-clutches, hesitates, second-guesses himself, and delivers balls late...which is exactly what I noticed about him last year, and the year before that. I didn't like his footwork either. All over the place, particularly in comparison to Deshaun Watson or Tucker Israel. All of that concerns me. It doesn't matter how Super Mondo Athlete he is, if he still isn't seeing it, and trusting it, the hotshot throwers behind him are going to pass him, and soon. They're knocking on the door already.

Speaking of hotshot throwers, TUCKER ISRAEL is absolutely everything Kelly Bryant is not, and if you could combine the two you would have the QB of the Century. Israel has a lightning-quick release, goes through a progression and reads a defense as casually as most people read their text updates, and sees it and sends the ball on its way as fast as a Dan Marino or Tom Brady. You can see exactly why this guy broke every passing record there is in Florida high school ball. From the neck up he's our best QB...and it isn't close.
The bad: He's small (is he really even 5'10"?), and worse, he doesn't threaten you with his legs. I wish he could extend plays with his feet and make a third down if he had to but he can't. His arm strength also seems a little erratic - I saw him show enough juice to make some deep outs, which are hard throws to make, but he also got some balls broken on and nearly picked because he didn't have enough juice on them. Still, I think he's an elite QB in the right system...which I honestly do question a bit is actually ours. I don't know if he's an NFL QB but you put him in the right college system and he'll be right back breaking scoreboards and records because he puts the ball on the right receiver so fast; he'd have made Steve Spurrier an absolutely letter-perfect Fun 'n Gun QB and he actually strikes me as an even more polished version of Danny Wuerffel. How so many FBS schools passed on this guy is a complete mystery to me.

ZERRICK COOPER was haunted by the same thing that was affecting Hunter Johnson - the White Team had a weak O-line that got even weaker when Sean Pollard went down and Orange's DL was getting through at will. So he was running for his life with exactly zero time. You could still see the essentials - Cooper looks so much like Deshaun Watson, physically, it's scary. Maybe even better. Smooth, elegant, has a beautiful throwing motion and pocket presence, and while he's no Kelly Bryant scampering he can still extend plays and hurt you with his feet. Make no mistake - this guy is elite and I liked almost everything about his game...with one notable exception.
The bad with Cooper was very limited - I didn't like his decision-making. He put the ball in danger repeatedly and I realized he wasn't showing much comfort with the playbook - where/when his receivers were going to be - and he isn't very good at reading a defense at the moment. It means, unlike Watson, he isn't a tremendous student of the game. He used his eyes well - you could see from his head-motion he doesn't lock onto any one guy but does indeed go through a one-two-three progression, which is very good - but the problem is, in stark contrast to Deshaun Watson, who is as smart and cerebral a QB as we've ever had go through Clemson (and who was a guy who could graduate in just three years), Cooper strikes me as a pure seat-of-his-pants guy who just trusts his arm and his eyes. Which is good, some ways...but it also means teams can confuse him mixed looks, disguised coverages, and odd blitzes and he's not going to see it right now. Cooper's a future NFL QB, no question...but he's gotta get better at the X's and O's side and not make those inexplicable decisions with the ball.

And, of course, HUNTER JOHNSON, like Zerrick Cooper, spent most of his time getting buried by large, athletic Clemson defensive linemen who will for the most part be playing Sundays in a couple of years. Ugly, especially when Pollard went out. You could also see his lack of familiarity, at times, with the Clemson offense, with his receivers, and with the speed of the game...not surprising considering that (unlike a certain dude down I-26), Johnson should indeed still be in high school and has exactly 15 practices under his belt as a college QB now. But...the gap between Johnson and the vets just wasn't as wide as it should have been. He threw some absolutely beautiful, accurate balls, including a nice back-shoulder fade to Overton for a long TD. He showed an ability to diagnose and read defenses that belied his years and while he wasn't quite as quick on the trigger as Israel he usually saw it fast and the ball came out fast, and while he's not Kelly Bryant he could clearly extend plays with his feet and athleticism, he isn't a pure "pocket passer" whatever the services dub him; he's the same breed as Deshaun Watson or Zerrick Cooper, be it a "dual threat" or "passing QB's who can also extend plays and run".
The bad: He's inexperienced, and it showed. That said, while he doesn't have the "A+" tools every other QB has in some specific area he looked like he had "A"-level tools (or at least B+ tools) just about across the board - and unlike the others, no intrinsic weaknesses in any area of his game. Inexperience doesn't last. I think he's overall our most-talented QB...and in this crew, that's saying quite a lot.

The short: If I was a betting man, I'd bet, over the long-term, on Hunter Johnson. I think he's the most-complete of the four guys. That said, he's clearly got some strides to make to pass the others (though I think he can), but there's also the possibility you could see the light really go on for Bryant or Cooper. If Bryant starts seeing it and trusting his eyes quicker - I really think the main problem with Bryant is his limited high school background and the fact that he's playing catchup in college - you could see Kelly Bryant make that giant leap forward, and become The Man because he is such an unholy athlete. Cooper clearly needs to spend some time on Football 101...he's got one of the best, most natural-looking arms I've ever seen, throws a truly spectacular ball - and when you combine that with his active eyes and decent-to-good athleticism what you have is a future NFL QB, though I think he'll need a really good tutor constantly in his ear because his natural inclination looks like to just schoolyard it. And you could win with Israel too - just spread the field, go 4-wide, and let him sling. He'll make some yards, against most anybody.

Bottom line is, this is what's called an Embarassment of Riches...and this competition looks like it'll go well into fall or maybe further. Like I said, future generations will look back on this crew and call in the Golden Generation of Clemson QB's, because I can't ever remember seeing four (or five, if you count Trevor Lawrence next year) QB's in the stable at one time that were this good. It'll make for an active summer and lively fall for these guys, for certain.

And oh, yeah. Happy Easter all. ;)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Easter topic - QB's

Apr 16, 2017, 3:01 PM

I thought Bryant's issue was tendon and not broken finger but otherwise seems like you hit the main aspects

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Before I read this, something's been bothering me...

Apr 16, 2017, 3:05 PM

Quozzel. Is it pronounced kwee-zahl or kwoah-zell?

Re: Before I read this, something's been bothering me...

Apr 16, 2017, 3:13 PM

> Quozzel. Is it pronounced kwee-zahl or kwoah-zell?

However you wanna say it. I'm dating myself but back in the day I was looking for an AOL Online handle that nobody else had...took some doing.

I have no idea what a quozzel actually is, or how it's actually pronounced.

Re: Before I read this, something's been bothering me...

Apr 16, 2017, 3:24 PM

I read and agree. If KB's passing ever matches his athleticism, he'll be scary good. I feel like Tucker has a chance at some playing time this year.

Problem for Tucker will be 7 man blitz ...

Apr 16, 2017, 3:28 PM

... he won't be able to run away from it and he is too short to see over it.

Re: Problem for Tucker will be 7 man blitz ...

Apr 18, 2017, 9:34 AM

Must be that Israel played against midgets in high school football in Florida where he rewrote all the passing records. I didn't know we were recruiting midgets for QB?

When I try to pronounce it in my head, I've just used ...

Apr 16, 2017, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Before I read this, something's been bothering me... ]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resplendent_quetzal

No idea why that was the first attempt but those synapses are now formed and I can't change.

Post DW4

Apr 16, 2017, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Before I read this, something's been bothering me... ]

Nice post!
Any other year, the debate would probably focus on strengths more than weaknesses.
At this point, it's natural to see flaws in any player compared to Deshaun.

I wonder how the GOAT would have fared if as an untested QB he had now to contend with his legend which he earned, battle-tested and a hot second after a national title.

Now, how about this whole dating yourself business? How's that working out?

Cricket Chirp Temperature Formula:
Number of Chirps per 14 seconds + 40 = Approximate Temperature

Im going with

Apr 16, 2017, 4:51 PM [ in reply to Before I read this, something's been bothering me... ]

Kwo- zuhl

Good post

Apr 16, 2017, 3:55 PM

Like you, I think Hunter Johnson takes over before 17 is up.

It was painfully clear DW4 was gone

Apr 16, 2017, 4:14 PM

We have a serious QB problem. Hopefully someone steps up by August. No one in that SG was even close to ready and KB needs to play TE or S.

Its going to be a long year waiting for Trevor Lawrence. Hope our D can tow the line.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It was painfully clear DW4 was gone

Apr 16, 2017, 4:19 PM

well let me see. a coach i spoke to after the spring game said the staff had been very encouraged by the play of the qb's this spring. now here is the quandry. do i listen to our coaches who are around them every day or some goobers on a message board that watched a glorified pick up game. really hard choice.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Goobers!

Apr 16, 2017, 4:58 PM

Did I win?

;)

If you don't think any of these guys are ready this year

Apr 16, 2017, 4:22 PM [ in reply to It was painfully clear DW4 was gone ]

what makes you think TL will be ready next year?

Re: If you don't think any of these guys are ready this year

Apr 16, 2017, 4:27 PM

Including Watson best qb prospect in 10 years!

Apr 16, 2017, 4:34 PM [ in reply to It was painfully clear DW4 was gone ]

> We have a serious QB problem. Hopefully someone
> steps up by August. No one in that SG was even close
> to ready and KB needs to play TE or S.
>
> Its going to be a long year waiting for Trevor
> Lawrence. Hope our D can tow the line.

I just simply don't agree. DW4 was a rare talent, granted - guys with his mentality, skills, and physical attributes simply don't come around every year - but KB, Cooper, and Hunter are certainly equally physically talented and Tucker Israel is probably even better in his understanding of the game - from the neck up, Tucker Israel might be one of the best QB's I've ever seen. You just do not see guys as young as him who see it and pull the trigger like he does. Fifth-year guys in a Mike Leach system, occasionally...but this guy's a redshirt sophomore.

We can win with any of them. We won't do it the same as last year but that's why coaches tweak. If it ends up being Bryant we simplify, let him pick the long throws he's comfortable making and we lean on his scrambling and we distribute the ball around a lot short, and let him make up the difference with his legs. Teams with an elite front seven like FSU or Auburn might give that approach trouble; I think KB could beat most anyone else. With Israel, as I said, we go four-wide and let him just throw darts. We have the WR's to make that approach work. The problem with any Fun-n-Fun/Run-and-shoot type offense is it's usually impossible to stop between the 20's and makes huge chunks of yards but can bog down in the Red Zone, but hey, maybe you bring in Kelly Bryant in the Red Zone like Texas did last year with Swoopes and their "18-Wheeler" package.

Cooper, I think you have to simplify his reads and the offense right now, and I'd layer your WR routes so he's got a long-medium-short option on one side of the field and can just eyeball it and shoot...and really, really stay in his ear about watching and reading his coverages.

HJ I think you can run the full package with, you just are going to have to deal with some teething pains. He'll be a very different player at midseason than he is now, so you may wanna alternate him with someone and just let him develop.

That was and will be painfully clear, but here's the good

Apr 16, 2017, 4:51 PM [ in reply to It was painfully clear DW4 was gone ]

news: Nobody else has a DW coming back either. Louisville has Jackson and FSU has Francois, but nobody we will face will have a DW. We should still better than most at QB.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Yes, all I really want to know is...

Apr 17, 2017, 6:06 AM

If there are any Cole Stoudts behind center.

If you think Cooper is a future NFL QB and we have him around 3rd string currently, clearly we have some elite talent at QB. It seems we have really upgraded at that position in the last decade and no one should really be that worried. Again, I'm optimistic that we really can win with any of them.

How would you compare our crop of QBs against Jaylen Hurts or the baffoon from OSU - Barrett? Because our defense is going to sick nasty.

Cooper is 2nd string right now - Started for the white team.***

Apr 17, 2017, 9:18 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A serious QB problem?

Apr 16, 2017, 4:53 PM [ in reply to It was painfully clear DW4 was gone ]

It's very hard to judge anything from a Spring game. You know our offense (who was split up) was going up against one of, if not the, most talented and deep defenses in the country.

I KNEW people would began freaking out when #4 was no longer on the field. We can't just replace a Watson with another Watson. TL is said to be the closest thing to him in regards to sheer talent. I think Hunter's ceiling is high, and he has the ability to start at some point this season.

Apr 17, 2017, 10:50 AM [ in reply to It was painfully clear DW4 was gone ]

Wow you couldnt be more wrong. But I'll let you think that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2017, 10:54 AM

Inmeant that for the guy who said we had a quarterback problem. We don't.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2017, 4:32 PM

Good article dude

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not convinced on Bryant...

Apr 16, 2017, 4:32 PM

Q- Thanks for the analysis. Good Easter read.

For me the shock would have been that Bryant didn’t hesitate and second-guess. Look at the way he’s been handled.

I realize we had to keep our eyes on the prize last year and the year before but we had plenty of chances to bring Bryant along better than we did. After two years of coaches trusting him with no more than pabulum, how could he not balk when asked to suddenly digest raw meat?

I understand that Nick S was better than Kelly but we weren’t going to win it all if Watson went down no matter who was in there. Here’s how Bryant’s apprenticeship has gone so far…

In 2015, he was 7 of 9 for 27 yards. His long was 12. Take that away (and it might have been a 2-yarder that broke) and his 6 completions totaled 15 yards. He was trusted with nothing but his ability to had off or run it himself which he did well- 23 runs for 156 and a 6.8 yd. average.

In 2016, he was just 6 of 9 for 48 yards and only managed 22 yards on 12 rushes. And if during either season he got to throw on first down, I didn’t see it. His entire instruction seemed to be “just don’t screw up by trying anything and only throw on third and long and then don’t throw deep.” Hard to learn much or get any success to build on that way.

And last year, knowing this year would get here eventually, here’s how he was employed in the available routs when good experience could have been gained…

SC State (59-0)- He was 4 of 5 for 27 yards. That was the season highlight.
BC (56-10)- He ran once and did not attempt a pass.
Cuse (54-0)- He was 2 for 4 and 21 yards. That ended his year.
Scar (56-7)- Did not play.
OSU (31-0)- Did not play.

So he might look the part now lining up because I suppose he did get some positive experience in taking live snaps but his confidence in the passing game after two years of not trusting himself or being trusted by the coaches even when failure would not have been costly, has to weigh on him a bit. You can’t win if mistake avoidance is your first reflex.

Hope I’m wrong because no matter what happens other than injury, he will be our starter- Dabo is all about experience as we saw trying to get Watson on the field to stay in that UGA game. At least Watson's snaps were "meaningful." We have some tough early games and if Bryant can’t straighten out the head game, our season might be over before we get the right guy in.

Re: Not convinced on Bryant...

Apr 16, 2017, 4:39 PM

> Q- Thanks for the analysis. Good Easter read.
>
> For me the shock would have been that Bryant didn’t
> hesitate and second-guess. Look at the way he’s been
> handled.
>
> I realize we had to keep our eyes on the prize last
> year and the year before but we had plenty of chances
> to bring Bryant along better than we did. After two
> years of coaches trusting him with no more than
> pabulum, how could he not balk when asked to suddenly
> digest raw meat?
>
> I understand that Nick S was better than Kelly but we
> weren’t going to win it all if Watson went down no
> matter who was in there. Here’s how Bryant’s
> apprenticeship has gone so far…
>
> In 2015, he was 7 of 9 for 27 yards. His long was
> 12. Take that away (and it might have been a
> 2-yarder that broke) and his 6 completions totaled 15
> yards. He was trusted with nothing but his ability
> to had off or run it himself which he did well- 23
> runs for 156 and a 6.8 yd. average.
>
> In 2016, he was just 6 of 9 for 48 yards and only
> managed 22 yards on 12 rushes. And if during either
> season he got to throw on first down, I didn’t see
> it. His entire instruction seemed to be “just don’t
> screw up by trying anything and only throw on third
> and long and then don’t throw deep.” Hard to learn
> much or get any success to build on that way.
>
> And last year, knowing this year would get here
> eventually, here’s how he was employed in the
> available routs when good experience could have been
> gained…
>
> SC State (59-0)- He was 4 of 5 for 27 yards. That
> was the season highlight.
> BC (56-10)- He ran once and did not attempt a pass.
> Cuse (54-0)- He was 2 for 4 and 21 yards. That ended
> his year.
> Scar (56-7)- Did not play.
> OSU (31-0)- Did not play.
>
> So he might look the part now lining up because I
> suppose he did get some positive experience in taking
> live snaps but his confidence in the passing game
> after two years of not trusting himself or being
> trusted by the coaches even when failure would not
> have been costly, has to weigh on him a bit. You
> can’t win if mistake avoidance is your first reflex.
>
> Hope I’m wrong because no matter what happens other
> than injury, he will be our starter- Dabo is all
> about experience as we saw trying to get Watson on
> the field to stay in that UGA game. At least
> Watson's snaps were "meaningful." We have some tough
> early games and if Bryant can’t straighten out the
> head game, our season might be over before we get the
> right guy in.

I would agree...and like you I've got some problems with how he was handled. They never should have burned that redshirt year on him. Hindsight is always 20/20, sure, but if he wasn't going to be the #2 then why the heck wasn't he redshirted? I also agree they didn't necessarily do the best job of getting him live, meaningful reps to develop off of.

You will excuse coaches eager to win a national title, but from a purely developmental perspective it probably wasn't the best move. If KB is a redshirt sophomore we're viewing him in a different light right now.

They tried to get him meaningful reps

Apr 18, 2017, 11:20 AM

It seemed he had a large chunk of the gameplan for Syracuse in 2015. Then he coughed up the ball early in the game, and we ended up playing a much closer game than anyone hoped. This is the defining moment for Kelly Bryant in my mind. Our coaches seemed interested in getting KB early reps to make the team better, similar to getting DW4 reps the year before. Our coaches understand the importance of having 2 QBs ready to play. but it just wasn't worth keeping DW4 off the field to make sure we had 2 ready to play.

Since KB "dropped the ball" when given the responsibility of a few scripted drives at Syracuse, Streeter still yet to regain that confidence in him. KB will be a QB that our coaches keep ready to play this year. However, I don't believe he'll be one of the two QBs that our coaches have the most confidence in.

Re: Not convinced on Bryant...

Apr 17, 2017, 6:31 AM [ in reply to Not convinced on Bryant... ]

Completely agree. If the coaches ever thought he might be the guy one day, there is no excuse for him only attempting less than 20 passes in TWO years. Dabo has done a fantastic job building this program and there's not much anyone can complain about, but KB was mismanaged for sure.

Well done. Pretty much what I've been saying but a much

Apr 16, 2017, 4:41 PM

better breakdown and analysis of each.

I've pointed out repeatedly that there's not a DW in the bunch and we will miss him; however, we have recruited better at QB and are in a better situation depth and talent-wise there than 95% (at least) of the teams out there, and as a result we have 4 very good QBs we can win with.

Thank you for pointing out the likely role that Bryant's injury played in his ineffectiveness throwing the ball. I don't think anybody expects him to break records with his arm, and while there is good reason to wonder if he can be effective throwing the ball, the fact is no conclusions can be drawn in that regard based on the spring game. Someone pointed out that he was the clear "Alpha" when it came to running the offense, and I think that sums it up well. Agree completely with your analysis of each QB. Johnson appears to me to have the most upside, especially when you consider he is neck-and-neck with the others at this stage.

While I do believe we are in great shape at QB when all is said and done, I still think we were spoiled by DW, and looking back I think we won a few games last year that we simply would not have won with any other QB. I think our best shot at replacing his effectiveness is if Bryant can get the ball downfield and make the easy throws with some consistency. If he can do that, he is such a dynamic runner that I see him as a bigger Lamar Jackson, that can create the same kinds of nightmares for defenses. If he struggles making the throws, then I think who comes in next depends on one thing; how quickly Johnson develops. IF he's ready, I think he's the next guy in; if not I expect Israel to get a shot. I don't think Dabo will do a lot of experimenting with a true freshman against the likes of Auburn and Louisville unless he feels he's ready.

Either way, it's a great dilemma to have and a great time for Clemson football.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apr 17, 2017, 6:36 AM

Other things to consider: the offensive line cohesiveness will only get better every day going against probably the best defensive line in college football. Get daily reps behind Hyatt, Hearns, Crowder, Pollard, Simpson, whoever the first five are. It can only help. The spring is clearly a glorified practice and can only really show a glimpse of what the offense can look like with the right people in the right place. I fully expect Higgins, Rodgers, Etienne and even possibly Bockhorst to come in and make a difference. I'm excited to see the new offensive weapons step and take their turn.

The iron sharpens iron continues to be the best way to do it. I would have liked to have seen the 1's vs 1's in the spring game. However, they do this in practice but not for everyone to see. Yet.

Gonna be an interesting fall for sure.

Apr 17, 2017, 8:04 AM

Best assessment of all four QB's I've seen. We miss your observations at TI .

Also, don't fall asleep on Chase Brice too.

Apr 17, 2017, 10:40 AM

TU for a great read and good use of the word "belied". Don't see that one on a sports fan forum too often.

I cannot predict 15-0 like I did last year after watching the Spring game

Apr 17, 2017, 10:58 AM

That's all I know right now.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Can we win with defense only?

Apr 17, 2017, 12:33 PM

Its don't matter the qb at this time..Our defense should carry us to a 10 win season.If Hunter Johnson
can continue to improve and is the starter by the 3rd game we have the possibility of doing better. The other problem we have is running back...some unknowns there!

Apr 17, 2017, 11:09 AM

Isn't chase Brice coming to clemson in the fall as a qb contender

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

When I saw the length of this post...

Apr 17, 2017, 12:24 PM

When I saw the length of this post, I thought "The only way I'm reading this is if quozzel wrote it". He did, and I read it. Glad I did...thanks for the analysis - excellent as always!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2017, 8:09 AM

Thanks for insight Q, I've enjoyed reading your stuff from back in the TI days when it was just Ard and a bunch of pretty solid posters.

What do you think about the O-line? After rewatching multiple games from last season, I'm increasingly convinced DW's brilliance in the passing game covered a multitude of O-line sins. We couldn't run much without passing first and really struggled when we needed to impose our will in the run game. But it didn't matter because no defense in the country could stop our passing game. Only Auburn came close. By the end of the year we could throw at will; no one could stop DW and the WRs with any consistency.

Whoever is QB next year we lose that "superpower" of being nigh unstoppable in one aspect of our offense. That opened everything up. This will be the first real test of what our OCs can do with ordinary elite-level players, without a transcendent, generational talent running the show.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic