Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPiN making positive changes.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

ESPiN making positive changes.

May 23, 2019, 9:58 AM

I don't do ESPN anything other than stuff that might mention Clemson. Now I admit I spent a lot of time after we took Bama out back the woodshed a few months ago but it's been months now since I've sat through a 30 minute program on ESPN.

They've decided to end political talk but that won't change my mind until they stop being PR agents for the SEC. Anyway...someone with a twitter account should explain to them it's not just politics that's killed their brand.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyswan/2017/10/11/espns-politics-are-killing-its-brand/#68066d871429

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/444823-espn-president-our-fans-do-not-want-us-to-cover-politics

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ESPiN making positive changes.

May 23, 2019, 10:10 AM

I hope this is true.

I'm still amazed that they took this long to realize that a camera and a microphone in front of you doesn't mean people want to hear your opinion on things not related to your job.

Also media members pretend that they fall under the same category as athletes.

If an athlete is adored by fans, then those fans may be willing to listen to their opinions along with the entertainment that they bring.

The people who work at ESPN are simple sports reporters and people have attachment to listening to their opinions outside of sports.

It's sometimes hard to turn the channel from your favorite athlete no matter what they are doing, but it's easy to turn the channel from some random talking head who starts stepping away from what you came for.

In saying that, I fully support them voicing whatever opinions they have through social media and other avenues, but I don't need to hear it while I'm trying to watch sports and get away from the serious aspects of life.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are a number of celebrities...

May 23, 2019, 10:22 AM

athletes, musicians, actors/actresses, etc. who need to learn that the vast majority of people couldn't care any less about their opinions and really don't want to hear them.

Just STHU and perform.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: There are a number of celebrities...

May 23, 2019, 10:25 AM

I never minded celebrities, athletes, musicians, etc, giving their opinions. That said, I think it's bad for ESPN's business and they are making the right call.

i think that has to do with you having their same politics

May 23, 2019, 10:46 AM

as the only people allowed to spout political junk, without repercussion(usually), are libs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i think that has to do with you having their same politics

May 23, 2019, 10:50 AM

I never stress about conservative celebrities giving their opinions either. Its just their opinion. It doesnt matter to me.

Lol, when is the last time you had to watch

May 23, 2019, 11:00 AM

A show or award ceremony or a late night sho where you had to listen to conservative political junk?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have to admit, it is skewd a million to one

May 23, 2019, 11:01 AM

Not even close.

Re: Lol, when is the last time you had to watch

May 23, 2019, 11:06 AM [ in reply to Lol, when is the last time you had to watch ]

I don't remember seeing the liberal stuff either. I don't watch those late night shows, so be honest I dont even notice it, unless I read about it or they are on Fox News, or if a liberal network is commenting on conservative celebrities tweets, or something like that. Its really an issue that I don't notice. I just notice conservatives on here complaining. I am glad ESPN is getting away from whatever they were supposedly doing, so that offended conservatives can enjoy sports again on ESPN and not complain so much.

May 23, 2019, 11:00 AM [ in reply to i think that has to do with you having their same politics ]

Not true. Several of the liberal leaning on air personalities have publicly mentioned that they were told not to go into politics, even reprimanded. Bomani Jones, Pablo Torre, Steven A Smith, Dan Lebatard are few names to mention. Jemelle Hill was even fired for it.

Don't let facts stop your tunnel vision and excuse to take a pot shot at liberals though. What I think is a separate issue, is that isn't politics as much as it is race that people don't want to hear. And this country will never move past it until "white" America is ready to have uncomfortable conversations about it. I say white because that's who's really the ones making the complaint.

She was fired, well not really fired, but slowly let go

May 23, 2019, 11:05 AM

She called all trump supporters racists. And still wasn't fired. She we as finally let go bc she didn't want to stop.

And they didn't fire her like they just fired that ex pitcher. He didn't get the same, let's just phase her out quietly. And what she said was wayyyyyy worse. She's the biggest racist I've seen on ESPN and they still kept her.

ESPN warns libs, they fire conservatives

May 23, 2019, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Re: i think that has to do with you having their same politics ]

Yeah Jemelle Hill was way over the top. Glad she is gone, but she has been gone forever. Wonder what she is doing now.

May 23, 2019, 2:46 PM [ in reply to Re: i think that has to do with you having their same politics ]

Touche.

Don't let reality and the facts get in the way of your own racism.

Nobody cares what your problem with white people is. You're a racist, got it.

Get out of here with that divisive garbage.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2019, 4:56 PM

Reckless96 said:

Touche.

Don't let reality and the facts get in the way of your own racism.

Nobody cares what your problem with white people is. You're a racist, got it.

Get out of here with that divisive garbage.

And you exactly highlight what the problem is. Nothing I said was insulting or racist towards white people. You however illustrate that you are scared nor care to have an honest conversation about the issue that people of color believe they have, which crosses over into the sports world. You'd rather convince people that it isn't important or "made up", and redirect the attention to insults because you don't want to deal with it. Burying your head in the sand is what's really "divisive".

May 23, 2019, 5:41 PM

Thanks for being so predictably cliche with your response.

"I say white because that's who's really the ones making the complaint." - dogunwo

That statement denotes that you have a problem with white people. Ergo, it's a racist statement. Own it, don't deny it.

I'm not going to engage in a silly mental circle-jerk with you. You're an ideologue and not worth it. Tigernet is a place to discuss Clemson Football, sports, etc... It's not a place to throw bombs at an entire race of people that you have a personal problem with.

Nobody cares about your personal agenda or grievances.

May 23, 2019, 8:00 PM

Reckless96 said:

"I say white because that's who's really the ones making the complaint." - dogunwo

That statement denotes that you have a problem with white people. Ergo, it's a racist statement. Own it, don't deny it.

I'm not going to engage in a silly mental circle-jerk with you. You're an ideologue and not worth it. Tigernet is a place to discuss Clemson Football, sports, etc... It's not a place to throw bombs at an entire race of people that you have a personal problem with.

Reckless96 said:

I am not sure you know what the word "denote" means. It is not a matter of opinion that the complaints about race talk are largely made by white people. Nothing in that sentence means I personally have a problem with white people.

May 23, 2019, 7:31 PM [ in reply to Re: i think that has to do with you having their same politics ]

It never ceases to amaze me when race is brought up! People are allowed to have opinions and be white or black or whatever God made them! It’s called tolerance! I am not racist because of my political beliefs or color! A true racist brings up race where there is obviously no place for it! God gave me my beliefs and my skin color! If you have a problem with that then take it to the Lord in prayer!
With that said sports and politics should be separate and ESPN overstepped in my opinion and it has nothin to do with race!

May 23, 2019, 8:42 PM [ in reply to Re: i think that has to do with you having their same politics ]

I Don’t recongize a single name you just listed

Re: There are a number of celebrities...

May 23, 2019, 10:27 AM [ in reply to There are a number of celebrities... ]

I get it but if they post to their twitter about what they believe then go for it.

I'm not tuning in to a highlight show to hear about it though.

Both will be ignored by me, but if I can get a highlight show absent of politics then that show gets a viewer that they wouldn't have gotten the other way.

I used to follow Peter Frampton on FB until he started

May 23, 2019, 11:06 AM [ in reply to There are a number of celebrities... ]

creating posts that were for the sole reason of spewing liberal nonsense. You could tell he didn't live in the real world, and he's British for gosh sakes. I finally got enough and told him it's career suicide to alienate half your fanbase but it's obvious he thinks he's reached a point where he's entitled to spew and to hell with the fans. I ended it with the same sentiment as you..."Dude, I've loved your music since the mid 70s, as have all your fans because nobody had a clue what your political leanings were. Just shut up and play because you're making a mockery of yourself".

May 23, 2019, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: ESPiN making positive changes. ]

I’m annoyed by any kind of TV show that plays a video clip of something and then proceeds to tell me what it means.

May 23, 2019, 10:12 AM

"Overly political" ... should not be political at all.

They will always play both sides of the fence for more viewers and "clicks" ... only pissing off the better team(s) in the process.

By now ESPN should have learned a basic lesson

May 23, 2019, 10:40 AM

People who watch sports want to get away from everything except sports. Just show us sports without spin--political or otherwise. Yep--it's that simple.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: By now ESPN should have learned a basic lesson

May 23, 2019, 10:52 AM

Exactly

Praise baby Jesus! bout time***

May 23, 2019, 10:44 AM

May 23, 2019, 11:14 AM

Good for them. I still hope they go out of business.

ESPN is part of the problem, not the solution. Too often they've acted like their opinions are relevant while everybody that disagrees is hateful, evil, etc... What a joke.

Shout-out to ESPN and all of their media personalities:

“You are NOT entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."

In other words, if you don't know what you're talking about you should probably keep your opinions to yourself. Lost art at ESPN.

May 23, 2019, 1:37 PM

Reckless96 said:

“You are NOT entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."

In other words, if you don't know what you're talking about you should probably keep your opinions to yourself. Lost art at ESPN.

Can you give an example of an uninformed opinion? It kind of sounds like you just don't agree with them, which is a different argument.

May 23, 2019, 2:33 PM

Lol!

Where do i start? The list is so long. Suffice to say, virtually every political or social opinion they have is based on misinformation. Not to mention highly offensive.

Would you care to share a list of the informed social opinion/political statements they've made that you agree with?

Thanks in advance.

May 23, 2019, 4:59 PM

Reckless96 said:

Lol!

Where do i start? The list is so long. Suffice to say, virtually every political or social opinion they have is based on misinformation. Not to mention highly offensive.

Would you care to share a list of the informed social opinion/political statements they've made that you agree with?

Thanks in advance.

The burden of proof is on the one making the claim. I haven't stated that they have or haven't. I just wanted to know which ones you think are uninformed. Thanks in advance.

Does Tigernet have the same problem as ESPN?

May 23, 2019, 8:09 PM

Tigernet is a nice place to visit to read news and opinions about Clemson sports.

I've never once turned to Tigernet to get a weather report. I've never once turned to Tigernet to hear opinions about economic disparities or opinions about racial issues in America.

Similarly, I have never turned on a sports show to hear talk about educational issues or home economics. I generally do not pay attention to ESPN more than necessary to get the news related to college sports.

Wouldn't it seem odd as heck if you went to the Clemson/TAMU game this fall and the person sitting next to you wanted to talk about politics in the middle east?

So why does this off topic stuff take up space on Tigernet?

BTW, I don't watch ESPN much at all unless it's showing a sporting event live.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like to hear their political views

May 23, 2019, 2:17 PM

especially when they point out race issues and take sides

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2019, 3:15 PM

This may have mattered to me more back when I used to have the time to plop down and kill time surfing channels looking for something to watch. Even back then I would watch a baseball game between two teams I don't even root for over ESPN. Now though the only live tv I watch is local news for 30min when I wake up and right before bed (usually less time at night as I go to bed after weather) and college football games. All other times I am streaming something and it sure as heck isn't something related to politics!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Late night shows, athletes, and entertainers in general

May 23, 2019, 5:14 PM

would do well to heed Johnny Carson's wise advice on pushing social issues and politics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cob5t_0G_8I

Carson was funny and everyone could laugh with him regardless of their politics. Oh how we desperately need entertainers like Johnny Carson today...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Any Senior Exec That Thinks IDIOTS Like Steven A Smith

May 23, 2019, 5:58 PM

and Jamelle are anything but poison should just choke themselves. ESPN also has it's share of white and hispanic idiots as well. The dumbest thing ESPN ever did was overpaying for the NBA contract. Such a great media concept ruined by fools.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2019, 7:29 PM

I use sports as an outlet to get away from politics. So disappointing it took them this long to realize part of what was hurting their ratings.

They finally came to that decision after losing

May 23, 2019, 8:05 PM

viewers, subscribers, $, and watching their ratings take a nosedive. They have a monopoly on the market and it’s hard to screw that up yet they managed to do it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic