Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN's real problem with college football is how they see
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,718

ESPN's real problem with college football is how they see

Apr 26, 2017, 3:09 PM

the product. They tried to make teams/conferences like a soft drink. Say I love Pepsi. I may switch if Coke pours money into advertising and making Coke taste better. No matter what anyone does, a true sports fan will not switch allegiance to another team. If Clemson and the ACC stopped playing football, I would just stop watching football. Nothing could make me start pulling for any other team. ESPN wasted a ton of money thinking they could make fans switch teams.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ESPN's real problem...

Apr 26, 2017, 3:26 PM

is trying to espouse their self-serving agenda on its entire viewing audience and frankly, people got sick of their obvious and blatant bias and stopped watching.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: ESPN's real problem...

Apr 26, 2017, 3:33 PM

I want to watch ESPN to catch up on what's happening in sports, I don't want to hear their liberal agenda. Until they get back to just reporting sports their ratings will continue to drop.

I don't really watch it unless actual sports are on..

Apr 26, 2017, 6:03 PM

so apparently I am missing this "Liberal Agenda" stuff. What I am seeing is a dreadful mishandling of TV time and money paid for product. One; They have THREE SEC dedicated channels, but still overload SEC sports events onto the main ESPN channel, ESPN 2, and ESPNU to the exclusion of other conferences. And even worse the SEC gets the primetime replays through the week. That is silly and encouraging non-SEC viewers to go to their computers. Two; the massive failure of SEC football(outside Alabama) this year after their expensive network startup did not help. Three; what the heck is it with women's softball? There seem to be more of those games on than men's baseball. Four; terrible NFL schedule this year on Monday night made viewers turn to something else. Five; not showing enough sports, too many talking head shows.

Re: ESPN's real problem...

Apr 26, 2017, 4:54 PM [ in reply to ESPN's real problem... ]

^^^ Yup. You hit the nail on the head.

Re: ESPN's real problem with college football is how they see

Apr 26, 2017, 3:49 PM

Real problem is a structural industry problem driven by new technology and being locked into an old business model. It's not political. It's not bc of the SEC, other than they've overpaid for all sports rights prior to understanding that cable and satellite would have declining subscriber bases.

I love their CFB content. True enough they have people who say stupid things, like Booger re: Watson/Bentley. But I love having access to almost every football game with professional production quality.

It may feel good to think that ESPN is declining due to politics or the evil SEC, but in the spirit of being factual, the reason is by far and away mostly about a changing landscape in how we consume and pay for video products.

^^^ Succinct and Accurate***

Apr 26, 2017, 3:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Absolutely right.***

Apr 26, 2017, 3:55 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN's real problem with college football is how they see ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

So - ESPN's solution is to have six barbershop talk shows

Apr 26, 2017, 4:23 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN's real problem with college football is how they see ]

everyday. Wilbon and Kornheiser were trailblazers, but that ship has sailed. They need to go back to Highlights and Stats. People still watch TV! I would watch MLB Tonight, Melrose NHL Recap and NFL Primetime before watching umpteen videos online with umpteen - 30 second commercials. The replays of SportsCenter in AM were always a hit. TV producers just mixed it up to try to find new revenue streams which never work.

ESPN has lost its identity just like MTV. I only watch live sports action on all ESPN family of networks. If I want insight to a specific sport, I will go to that sports channel. Thursday Night I will watch the Draft on the NFL Network. Is ESPN ripe to be sold off by Disney as the debt / income are killing Disney's value?

They need to sell access directly to the public via the app

Apr 26, 2017, 4:31 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN's real problem with college football is how they see ]

instead of relying on the cable and satellite providers.

Methinks there is enough audience out there to support most of their programming.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yesterday... +1.***

Apr 26, 2017, 4:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is politics because their agenda is naturally to promote

Apr 26, 2017, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN's real problem with college football is how they see ]

their products which SEC is a big part. I understand that. I have cable but only watch sporting events on the ESPN channels. Care nothing about watching the day highlights or the talk shows.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ESPN's real problem with college football is how they see

Apr 26, 2017, 4:47 PM

ESPN has mistakenly come to believe that they own what they're supposed to be covering.

They think they are College Football...and they are not.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lutz. They know that. They do run the conference thing into

Apr 26, 2017, 4:51 PM

ground though, but that's smart also. How many people tune in just to pull for or against SEC teams now?

Smart move.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's Dabo's 'fought'.....***

Apr 26, 2017, 5:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,718
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic