Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NCAA FB in 4K UHD
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

NCAA FB in 4K UHD

Aug 24, 2019, 4:14 PM

I have a 65" Samsung smart TV that is source-switched by a Pioneer A/V receiver and video fed by Roku/youtube.tv and a BD player. It all works fine, but I know 4K is coming - just don't know when. Actually, there is some of it available for CFB now, but not much. I'd like to adopt early, but not waste money.

To make the switch I'll need everything new - TV, Roku box, BD player and A/V receiver..... so I don't want to buy it all before it's time.

Does anyone have an idea of when the standard will be commonly available as a source feed for CFB?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you’re streaming sports in 4K, your internet connection will be more important

Aug 24, 2019, 4:31 PM

Than the hardware you’re using. Unless you currently have Google or AT&T fiber, the rest is pointless. Cable is good, especially if you can get 400gb speed, but the standard 100gb can get blurry streaming sports.

From my experience, while more expensive, video game consoles are the best when it comes to streaming HD and 4K video, especially if you’re willing to and can make a wired Ethernet connection instead of going WiFi. With the new generation of consoles a year away and microsoft and Sony’s ability to handle 4K gaming now with their old consoles, the new generation should be even better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you’re streaming sports in 4K, your internet connection will be more important

Aug 24, 2019, 4:39 PM

Most recommendations I see are for 25Mbps speed. I just checked my download speed and it's 57.41 Mbps. I'm the only person on the connection and for the big TV to watch football, the connection will be wired ethernet.

I would have thought I had enough speed and that a Roku Plus and good A/V receiver and TV all with HDCP 2.2 would be good enough for 4K UHD, sports or otherwise.

Maybe I need to do some more research.

Re: NCAA FB in 4K UHD

Aug 24, 2019, 4:42 PM

if you have a Samsung, you do not need the Roku box for youtube tv. Samsung Smart Tv's will run pretty much every streaming app out of the box. Heck, the remote on my Samsung also controls the volume on my sound bar. I get 4k content through Netflix just fine on a 150 mbps connection, which is really more like 60 mbps when you are running your TV off a wi fi signal.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 24, 2019, 4:49 PM

I know, but I needed it for another app that Samsung isn't compatible with - maybe ESPN? So, I just run everything through Roku. I also find the Samsung UI very clunky, too.... but my TV's one of the first "smart" ones and I didn't get the fastest processor version.

Aug 24, 2019, 4:52 PM

yeah, I finally got used to remote and interface on my Samsung after getting spoiled on sling and fire TV. But Comcast is throttling Sling now to the point that it was unwatchable if you do not also have cable service with them. I just switched to youtube TV myself and am enjoying having just one remote.

Aug 24, 2019, 4:55 PM

I control everything with a single remote, but it's an old Logitech Harmony One - fantastic remote for multiple devices.

ESPN still films and broadcasts in 720p, don't they?***

Aug 24, 2019, 5:31 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ESPN still films and broadcasts in 720p, don't they?***

Aug 24, 2019, 5:39 PM

I think so. I see Fox Sports is featuring 4K UHD on a 13 college games this year - Iowa has 2 or 3 games scheduled. fuboTV is playing with it and I assume it won't be long before it'll become common. The question is how long? The TVs are available and the streamers can provide the conduit, so it's now a decision of the networks to invest in the infrastructure to originate the content.

Aug 24, 2019, 5:47 PM [ in reply to ESPN still films and broadcasts in 720p, don't they?*** ]

Here's a link to a story stating ESPN's partial and slow transition to 1080p production:

https://www.sportsvideo.org/2019/07/25/espn-upgrades-sunday-night-baseball-production-to-1080p-boxing-and-llws-are-next/

They are way behind the curve on TV sports video capabilities. Heck, at the rate they're going, 8K will be here in movies before TV sports is available in 4K...... that's sad...... Japan is way ahead of us in this stuff.

Aug 24, 2019, 6:07 PM

Having spent a few years for in the film industry, both at the studio level and a vfx artist on several $400 million+ films, 8k movies are far too expensive to produce to become a main stay any time soon, if ever.. you are talking 16x the bandwidth of 1080p, and 16x the processor load for visual effects, editing, digital storage, and post production. DPs do film in 8k, with the full intent to down res to 4k and achieve a better quality image. But the Film industry is all about making a movie as cheaply as possible and yielding the highest profits.

8k is a fantasy.

Aug 24, 2019, 6:19 PM

So, while I'm satisfied for the moment seeing CFB games in 720/1080p, I'd like to see them in 4K when it's available - so my question remains..... When will it happen?

Aug 24, 2019, 7:08 PM

Fox Sports is already doing it, but you would need direct TV.

Aug 30, 2019, 2:09 PM

I am going to attempt to try a Roku box 4k. Fox Sports says the Roku 4k ultra box will work. Its a shame because I have a Nvidia shield that blows away the Roku. But I want my football in 4k.

I dont have directv. If the fox sports app doesnt work then I am going to give Fubo.tv a try. They say they will 100% have 4k NFL games on and NCAA football games on.

As a BigTen fan I am happy we are affiliated with Fox. The BigTen basketball tournament was broadcasted in 4k last year so I am expecting some BTN football games this year.

The first football game in 4k on Fox is Miami of Ohio tomorrow night.

NBC Sports also has broadcasted a lot of Notre Dame games in 4k.

So it is out there... you just have to put a lot of effort into getting it. Which is sad.

My question would be why?

Aug 30, 2019, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN still films and broadcasts in 720p, don't they?*** ]

You like to do research so do some on screen size and resolution. Unless you have like a 100" screen anything over 1080 is a waste, - your eye cannot see the difference.

Ask gamers. They care way more about refresh rate than they do resolution.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My question would be why?

Aug 30, 2019, 3:46 PM

My research:

I have a 65 inch LG OLED (the best 4k TV ever made) and a 59in Samsung 8000 series plasma (the best 1080p tv ever made). Its night and day the difference between 4k and 1080p. I can also easily tell the difference between my 29 inch 4k monitor and my 27 inch 1080p monitor.

Outside of professional gamers no on cares too much about refresh rates. However, frames per second is the future of sports.

But without content its not worth an upgrade.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic