Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN Preseason FPI Rankings
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

ESPN Preseason FPI Rankings

Jul 21, 2015, 1:33 PM

Squeeze (of all teams) Arkansas team in there to get the SEC 6 of the top 10 teams.

I don't know the formula ESPN uses, but I know they use the Football Power Index (FPI) as their most frequent go-to in terms of rankings, predicting outcomes, etc.

This, though, is simply comical. Luckily two Big 12 teams genuinely warrant inclusion or an ACC team may have slipped in. No way you could defend 70% of your top-ten (a list without the media preseason champ, Auburn) all being from one conference...right?

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

total joke***

Jul 21, 2015, 1:36 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ESPN Preseason FPI Rankings

Jul 21, 2015, 1:39 PM

Jul 21, 2015, 1:41 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/107103/ohio-states-lead-atop-preseason-fpi-narrows

They have us projected as the 45th best offense, while they have usuc at 38th....LOLOLOLOLOL

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

this is exactly how the last 8 or so seasons they claim to

Jul 21, 2015, 1:45 PM

The toughest season. Every conference should balk at this. This is all about $$$money. This is the same thing as fixing the stock market. It puts those teams in a position to make more money for ESPN. Go back and look at previous seasons ratings. They hang on to more highly rated teams because they don't fall when they lose to each other. This is absurd!!

We should flood ESPNs site with comments and facts about their teams. No way they should be able to rob the other conferences. I think we should say that we will start our on league with the rest of the teams and leave ESPN with the SEC alone.

Does anyone believe they have six teams in the top 10. No way!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

just asinine.

Jul 21, 2015, 1:46 PM

Bama deserves top ten and probably UGA. But LSU- top 20 deserving,. AM, Arky, and ole miss are just ridiculous. How can they blatantly continue this charade when they have been exposed for the last 2 years???

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cut the cord.***

Jul 21, 2015, 1:49 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Jul 21, 2015, 1:50 PM

I also love how eSECpn seems to have deleted last years preseason FPI....http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10935532/2014-preseason-football-power-index-ratings

EDIT: found the sec teams http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/83266/sec-teams-crowd-the-top-of-preseason-fpi

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

I dont know whats more comical...

Jul 21, 2015, 1:54 PM

LSU at #5 or all 3 jokers at 8, 9, and 10

Surprised allbarn didnt get let in too

Also, what is with ESecPNs fascination with Arkansas and Old Miss? What have they ever done?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2015, 1:59 PM

"In looking ahead to the coming season, preseason FPI looks back at teams’ data. The model takes into account the last four seasons of performance using ESPN’s efficiency ratings, with the most recent season counting most; information on offensive and defensive returning starters, with special consideration given to a returning starting quarterback; a four-year average recruiting ranking of four systems (ESPN, Scouts, Rivals and Phil Steele); and head coaching tenure.

This version of the projections will last the majority of the summer, but we will rerun the projections again in August to incorporate improvements in how FPI handles games against FCS opponents and updated information on returning starters (resulting from injuries or discipline, for example)."

Based on that information (which I got at http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/107103/ohio-states-lead-atop-preseason-fpi-narrows) it appears that Arkansas is getting a big bump because of the number of returning starters (15) including a returning QB, and probably has had a pretty good team efficiency ranking on average (although I can't find this anywhere).

ESPN's stats may not consider Watson a returning starter since Stoudt finished the year with the lion's share of the snaps. We'd get a bump in the ratings if they adjusted that stat.

I am officially done going to ESPN for anything CFB.

Jul 21, 2015, 2:03 PM

This is absolutely unacceptable. The simple fact they would even put this filth out there and call it truth is ridiculous. Even AFTER the $#%! showing for the SEC in bowl games last season, they can still justify this??

My mind is actually blown.

TIGER BALLS.

In my opinion this ranking is crazy sec last year

Jul 21, 2015, 2:27 PM

#14 Missouri x 7 – 1 11 – 3
#9 Georgia 6 – 2 10 – 3
Florida 4 – 4 7 – 5
Tennessee 3 – 5 7 – 6
South Carolina 3 – 5 7 – 6
Kentucky 2 – 6 5 – 7
Vanderbilt 0 – 8 3 – 9
Western Division
#4 Alabama x†^ 7 – 1 12 – 2
#11 Mississippi State 6 – 2 10 – 3
#17 Ole Miss 5 – 3 9 – 4
#22 Auburn 4 – 4 8 – 5
LSU 4 – 4 8 – 5
Texas A&M 3 – 5 8 – 5
Arkansas 2 – 6 7 – 6

If the ACC started with 6 teams in the top ten it would end better because everybody's strength of schedule would be higher and that would continue the next year and so forth if you go back four years.

If Wake Forest or Virginia ended with a 2-6 conference record and won a bowl game would they be in the top ten. The SEC play good teams because they all are rated high. In my opinion that preseason ranking is hog wash!

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

4 teams in top ten with an avg 8-5 record***

Jul 21, 2015, 5:41 PM

"But but... they have SEC Speed and beat each other up"

Jul 21, 2015, 5:47 PM

I'm tired of hear the same garbage out of all the SEC fans, including the ones at ESPN.

Good Thing

Jul 21, 2015, 6:06 PM

Mississippi State had the chance to rest up before playing Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic