Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN Bias
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

ESPN Bias

Sep 27, 2015, 11:56 AM

As an avid Clemson football fan, I follow media coverage year-round, whether it is recruiting, Spring training, or the season itself. I have to say that the media coverage of Clemson, especially ESPN is very slanted against Clemson, and the ACC in general.

I remember 3-4 years, when this was still the case and pundits said the best way to overcome this was to go out and prove ourselves on the field. Having seen the results on the field over the last 4 years or so, I would say the ESPN spin hasn't changed. There are a handful of schools that have consistent 10-plus records, yet Clemson does not get mentioned in the same light as these schools (read Alabama, Oregon).

This season has really tipped things over the edge for me. While I know three quarters of the season is still left, I couldn't help but be frustrated with the lack of respect for Clemson and the ACC coming into the year. While Ohio State won the national championship last year, the media (read ESPN) was quick to say the Big 10 was back, while ACC did not get the same respect despite FSU winning 2 years ago. They want as far as to say that because FSU wasn't expected to be big this year that the ACC would be left out of the NC playoffs. I can't fathom how week after week, an SEC 'superpower' can barely escape with a win, and they are considered 'resilient', however, when Clemson does the same, it is considered lackluster.

These same media outlets are quick to anoint their glory rankings onto the SEC teams, before they have even proved themselves. So if they lose to each other, it's a top 10 team team beating another top 10 team, and they don't drop much in the polls.

The most frustrating part has been how little coverage the ACC is getting within ESPN - online or on TV. Is this related to the negotiations between ESPN and ACC, and ESPN trying to play hardball? I don't know, but what I do know is TNET helps me stay connected with my team, so take that ESPN.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its very simple.

Sep 27, 2015, 12:03 PM

Aside from Clemson and FSU, the ACC sucks this year. Its hare do argue otherwise.

Let's not forget that Gameday and SportsCenter will both be in Clemson this weekend. That in itself shows respect for Clemson.

If Clemson wins this Saturday we'll start seeing alot more coverage and respect.

Just win.

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Its very simple.

Sep 27, 2015, 12:11 PM

Besides FSU and Clemson the ACC MAY suck, but so does the SEC. Have you watched them play!

Why do you say that, why does everyone keep saying that?

Sep 27, 2015, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Its very simple. ]

Is it because ESPiN has been saying that since the last bowl season?

The SECw lost five of seven post season games and ESPiN didn't say they sucked. WTPH is wrong with that logic?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup^^^^^***

Sep 27, 2015, 12:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you skipped some of the OP

Sep 27, 2015, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Its very simple. ]

The "just win" hasn't worked for the last 4 years... What makes you think it's gonna work now???

Even if we win it all, we still won't get the respect from that 4 letter network. It's a shame really and I wish one of the other outlets would pick up on this and give us a reason to watch and support someone else.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Its very simple.

Sep 27, 2015, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Its very simple. ]

> Aside from Clemson and FSU, the ACC sucks this year.
> Its hare do argue otherwise.
>
> Let's not forget that Gameday and SportsCenter will
> both be in Clemson this weekend. That in itself
> shows respect for Clemson.
>
> If Clemson wins this Saturday we'll start seeing alot
> more coverage and respect.
>
> Just win.
>
> Go Tigers!

Spot on.

ESPiN had two goal during the BCS.

Sep 27, 2015, 12:39 PM

Put the SEC in as home team in the BCSCG and line up a patsy opponent to make sure the SEC won.

During the BCS, ESPiN always over rated us, face it brothers and sister, we were a patsy team without linemen during the last of the BCS years.

Now ESPiN's goal is to put two SEC teams in the playoff. When the SEC wins, ESPiN wins. In order to facilitate the goal, conferences other than the SEC are 'talked down,' by ESPiN's talkers. IMO, ND is a patsy team this season. ND unexpectedly beat GT two weeks ago, you say? Fair enough.

GT was a really good team, right? Why, because ESPiN's FPI rated GT highly and that tiny kid they have playing QB was on ESPiN's Heisman watch after the first game of the season. Do the math guys. They set GT up to make ND look like a world beater. Why, because pushing ND into the playoff will almost certainly kick the ACC out of the playoff picture.

Last year the Big 12 was eliminated and most believe that either Baylor or TCI could have beaten three of the teams that made the PO. If ND takes a seat that means two of the top five conferences won't get a place at the table. That's the only way to make sure the SEC makes it to the final round. Do you think they'll line up an SEC/ND matchup in the first round?

How better to eliminate the SEC's competition than to eliminate two conference which feature two of the best HUNH offenses?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's absolutely ridiculous

Sep 27, 2015, 1:01 PM

The first 8 BCS national title games guess how many SEC teams out of 16 played?

TWO.

In 2004 an undefeated Auburn team was left out of the national title game.

Get your head out of your ###.

Sep 27, 2015, 1:06 PM

Nothing ever starts until it starts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3553033

ESPiN and SEC is a team.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/03/sports/ncaafootball/sec-will-have-own-tv-network-starting-in-2014.html?_r=0

Re: Get your head out of your ###.

Sep 27, 2015, 1:28 PM

Did you expect ESPN to invest more in the ACC when 75% of the conference could give two ##### about football?

Finally, you get to breathe.

Sep 27, 2015, 1:42 PM

You just made my point. You admitted ESPiN is invested in the SEC, that's ESPiN's motivation for pushing the SEC to the top, dummy.

Do original thoughts give you headaches?

Re: That's absolutely ridiculous

Sep 27, 2015, 1:08 PM [ in reply to That's absolutely ridiculous ]

They didn't buy sec rites until '08...

So your stats here are irrelevant.

wow***

Sep 27, 2015, 1:35 PM [ in reply to ESPiN had two goal during the BCS. ]

f

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ESPiN had two goal during the BCS.

Sep 27, 2015, 1:41 PM [ in reply to ESPiN had two goal during the BCS. ]

GT built themselves up by beating Clemson and UGA to end the regular season last year. Then the only lost to a playoff team in FSU by 2 points in the ACC championship, and followed up with a big win over a top 10 Miss St. team.

That's why GT was ranked where they were.

Well, that and the FPI numbers ESPiN produced...

Sep 27, 2015, 1:44 PM

along with all the Heisman talk for GT's little man behind center. Did he look like a Heisman to you or did you just buy into ESPiN's bullchit like everyone else that put their money on GT?

Re: ESPN Bias

Sep 27, 2015, 12:45 PM

Judging by their Gameday decisions, they give us and Florida State plenty of love because we've earned it.

The rest of the ACC - not so much.

Exactly....

Sep 27, 2015, 12:57 PM

Why would ESPN want to talk about Wake Forest, Syracuse, Boston College, or NC State?

Why would they want to talk about Duke, UNC, and Virginia?

These teams don't care much about football, why should ESPN care about them?

Even several of the "football schools" in the conference can't pack out a stadium on Saturday.

Sep 27, 2015, 12:57 PM

I'm not saying it's justified, but the rest of the country (including ESPN) won't believe in us until we win something. We've had a great run lately, with some great bowl wins, but we've only got one ACC championship to show for it. There is this perception out there that Clemson chokes because we've recruited all these elite players but flame out when play real competition. You're not gonna get respect beating up BC and Syracuse, then losing to FSU and SCAR.

Quite frankly I don't blame them. We still have a lot to prove.

null

How about beating

Sep 27, 2015, 1:53 PM

UGA, LSU, OSU, and OU?

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Sep 27, 2015, 1:19 PM

Just yesterday, the acc showed what a joke the conference is. I can't even keep track-I think we are now 3-13 against the power 5 schools this year. Why should the conference get any respect. The conference earned it yesterday. I was pulling for all acc schools to win in hopes that the conference would get some respect, but after yesterday-screw the rest of the teams. I hope they lose every game from now on. Maybe by rooting for them to lose, they might actually win. We could go unbeaten this year and miss the playoffs because our own conference has done nothing to help bolster its image.
That said, at least Bowling Green doesn't own the acc like it owns the big10..... yet.

What exactly did the SECw do to help themselves?

Sep 27, 2015, 1:53 PM

AU's last minute win because an ASC team had a bad punt in the closing minutes of a home game or was it Arkansas' loss to a mid american conference team?

Come on dood. The ACC has done nothing less than that.

AU was ESPiN's top ten SECw team and Arkansas has been getting better for the past five years.

Sep 27, 2015, 1:24 PM

To deny the bias keeps espn running the show. All about the $$$$ of and for espn. They have put all their cards in that basket.

I really think we will sohw the nation that we are to be in the top 10 should be top 5. They drop us to get ready to put us in the bottom of the top 25 or if we win a close one over ND. Clemson will just trade places minus 1 or 2. 7/8 maybe. The ACC is about to be left out this with maybe FSU wins out they are in and only if there is another power 5 conference with no undefeated teams minus Alabana. SEC gets in with Alabama with one loss. LSU and Georgia will lose due to being one dimensional. At the most SEC will be in.

Clemson can go undefeated and will need the sec and another conference to be one loss teams.

Clemson must beat ND badly to move up much! DW and company must shine!

Got to be no ifs! Got to shock the world type game.

GO TIGERS!

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic