Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Finally telling my National Championship Game story
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 5,301

Finally telling my National Championship Game story

Oct 3, 2016, 12:04 PM
carrie1.png(957.2 K)

I figure the occasion of the Tigers passing their toughest test of the season so far is as good an excuse as I'll have to finally relate the story of my trip to the National Championship Game in Glendale - And to wax sentimental about how Clemson always seems to bring things full circle in my life.

Almost ten years ago, I was a fairly recent graduate from our beloved University, living in Atlanta and working at my first job out of school. A friend that was still living in Tiger Town suggested that I make the drive up 85 for the football game versus the Maryland Terrapins, and I accepted his invitation. The usual pre-game festivities ensued, and our tailgate ended up being a good chance to catch up with old friends. One of those friends brought with her a co-worker from her new job, a lovely girl from Jersey who was a graduate of Maryland who had heard all about the Clemson gameday atmosphere from her co-worker and decided to check out the magic for herself.

I will gloss over what transpired on the football field on this particular day, to spare everyone's rage levels on Monday morning.

Afterward, we eventually found ourselves at Overtime, as one might on a Saturday night after midnight when sorrows must be drowned. I was my usual charming self, apparently, and left with plans to meet up again the next day for brunch with my friend and the girl from Jersey -- and the weekend ended with phone numbers exchanged and plans for me to come visit her in DC.

Well, visits turned into a legitimate long-distance relationship, and I eventually got a job opportunity to leave Atlanta and move to DC, and I jumped at it. A couple of years later and she and I are walking down the aisle, with some of my best friends from Clemson at my side at the altar.

Now, what does any of this have to do with the National Championship Game, you're asking at this point. Well, here it is:

Last December, we went ahead and booked a Vegas trip for my wife and I, and my best friend and his wife, while airfare was cheap - Just on the off chance that we make it to the NTG, we figured we could rent a car and bop down there. If the Orange Bowl didn't work out for the Tigers, we'd still get a trip to Vegas out of it. We threw together a last-minute trip to Miami for the Orange, saw the Tigers take down the Sooners, and started making plans to get to Glendale.

This is where TigerNet comes in. I saw a post from @Fever about his group putting together a bus to get down and back, and the price was right. We all hopped on that deal and were looking forward to the trip.

I should back up a bit and say that leading up to this, my wife and I had been trying unsuccessfully to get pregnant, and the Vegas/NTG trip was sort of a "last hurrah" before we started down the road of more intensive treatments to make that happen.

Well wouldn't you know that the morning that we woke up to catch our flight to Vegas, she walks out of the bathroom with a little stick with a plus sign on it...
We were both excited, disbelieving, with a wry grin knowing that this seriously changes the complexion of a trip to Las Vegas! She scheduled a visit with her doc for the following Wednesday, and off we went. We told our friends about the preliminary result and we had a good time Friday and Saturday night, won a little money, ate well.

And then I caught the most heinous case of Norovirus known to man. I spent all of Sunday from the wee hours until that night being violently ill, horizontal, and drinking nothing but Pedialyte, while everyone else enjoyed Vegas. The spirit of Thomas Green Clemson himself must have propelled me out of bed the next day to catch the bus, because I was still feeling like hot garbage.

At this point, we're on the bus with @Fever and his excellent group of family and friends, and my wife and I both can't even enjoy a frosty beverage, each for separate reasons. Her, with child - Me, barely holding down Saltines. So, this is my way of telling you, Fever, that if you thought we were the biggest squares on the face of the earth, we had excuses! LOL

I was still back and forth to the restroom during the game, but stayed to root on the Tigers and unfortunately see Alabama play their guts out to come away with a hard-fought win after one of the best games I'd ever witnessed.

I tell the story now, because two weeks ago, our daughter was born happy and healthy. She doesn't know it yet, but she was born a Tiger. She's already been to a National Title Game (And according to the doctors, probably an Orange Bowl as well...). My wife and I couldn't be happier or more proud. I hope we're able to take her to Tampa this year!

Anyway, that's my long-winded way of trying to bring my Clemson story full-circle. If it seems disjointed or poorly edited, please keep in mind that I'm a first-time father of a two-week-old girl, and sleep isn't something with which I'm currently well-acquainted.

Thanks Tigernet and the Clemson Family. And @Fever, thank you and your family for having us, and next time I'll bring enough beverages for both of us.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats Paint!!

Oct 3, 2016, 12:12 PM

Thank you for sharing that wonderful story... that reminds us of how true it is that Clemson is family.

Huge congrats for the daughter. Treasure every minute... they pass before you know it.

Go Tigers!!

Re: Finally telling my National Championship Game story

Oct 3, 2016, 12:22 PM

That's awesome! No chance of naming your daughter Daboina is there? Lol! Congratulations. However, playtime is now officially over until you retire!

Congrats! Nothing beats fatherhood.***

Oct 3, 2016, 12:28 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats...+1.***

Oct 3, 2016, 12:33 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome story and even better pic. Your girl is holding

Oct 3, 2016, 12:34 PM

that Tiger the same way that Boulware holds QBs!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL***

Oct 3, 2016, 12:35 PM

I hope your family lives long and happy.

Oct 3, 2016, 12:39 PM

My wishes are for you to return to Tnet and tell this story 30 years from now with your grandchildren on your lap. My very best to all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Read this book...

Oct 3, 2016, 12:40 PM

Both our kids were sleeping all night by 7 weeks old...

https://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Baby-Wise-Giving-Nighttime/dp/1932740139

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Congrats to you! Nothing is better than being a dad.

Oct 3, 2016, 12:49 PM

Enjoy every minute, even the really hard times. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Great story and congrats on being a Dad, but I'm very

Oct 3, 2016, 1:10 PM

Suspicious about weather your new bundle of joy is good or bad luck... can you take her to the coot game before you try her luck again in Tampa?? TIA. ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dude was i sitting beside you? I freaked out about

Oct 3, 2016, 1:23 PM

The bus driver getting to close to the edge of that ### bridge.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dude was i sitting beside you? I freaked out about

Oct 3, 2016, 5:25 PM

I couldn't tell you. I was half out of it and half concentrating on not spewing my guts out anymore.

On the bus with the Asian driver that was all over the road?***

Oct 3, 2016, 10:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The dude giving being a tour guide. He got so close to that

Oct 3, 2016, 10:29 PM

Bridge wall. That shet was high, I was freaking out.

Congratulations!!

Oct 3, 2016, 8:29 PM

Becoming a father is an awesowe experience. There will be challenges, frustrations, inconveniences and little rest, but they all pale in comparison to the love and joy that you will experience for the rest of your life. Glad to hear the Clemson Family has grown larger.

The Vegas/Glendale trip was outstanding thanks to all of the TNetters that helped fill the buses. My only regret was not planning a tailgate for us once we got there. But there was little time to prepare. Hopefully soon, you can bring your new little Tiger by our tailgate at Clemson. Cox Family Tailgate on Facebook.

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Congratulations!!

Oct 4, 2016, 1:47 PM

Thanks for the kind words Fever.

We probably won't make it to Tiger Town this year, but already looking forward to next season with the little one.

Awesome story Paintballer!

Oct 3, 2016, 10:04 PM

Sentimental is good my man. Your first child's birth will always be the one you remember the most. The rest of your family's lives will forever be entwined with these amazing times Tiger Nation is experiencing.

God bless your sweet family!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2016, 10:20 PM

Cool story. Congrats on the beautiful baby girl. Cherish that sweet girl, cause I got 2 mean ole boys. Which they are still my baby boys and wouldn't change a single thing about them.

Oct 3, 2016, 10:43 PM

Thanks for sharing. Great story!
I'll echo the others' advice to enjoy it every second along the way. Seems like just a couple of years ago our daughter was born. Her mom and I just dropped her off at Clemson in August as a freshman.
Can't in any way describe how that time flies....

congrats brother. I was on that same

Oct 3, 2016, 11:05 PM

Bus going through the desert. That was a wild experience. I ran into a guy I met on the bus at the game last weekend. Thanks to fever for setting that up. Take care of the little one and Go Tigers!

Great story, tu!! But, that girl knows she's a Tiger, its just

Oct 4, 2016, 1:57 AM

that her daddy hasn't realized it yet.
My 14yo girl is my favorite Toger fan buddy. Enjoy, its the best!

null

Great story, thanks for sharing it.

Oct 4, 2016, 6:29 AM

I have a similar story - my wife and I found out she was pregnant just a few days before the 2003 FSU game, when we finally took them down at what was at the time one of the rowdiest, most exciting games I'd ever been to. I tell my oldest son that he was there when we finally ended FSU's dominance over us, and might have even been a good luck charm. There was also a lunar eclipse that night happening right in the middle of the game, so it was an unusual environment all around.

Oh man, I was at that game, as a student...

Oct 4, 2016, 1:46 PM

Still the biggest, loudest, most insane game I've ever been to in the Valley.

"Unusual environment" is an understatement!

Oct 4, 2016, 4:25 PM

Great story !

Replies: 24
| visibility 5,301
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic