Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Down Field Passing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Down Field Passing

Sep 11, 2018, 3:38 AM

It is clear that our coaches know KB can't throw downfield. TE is effectively saying that in his presser. They know the defensive gameplan is 7/8 in a box and to dare to throw, and all we do is throw to the perimeter because they dont trust KB to throw over the middle or downfield.

Thus they are planning around the limitations of their QB. You think they REALLY want to throw bubble screens all day? When TL goes in, what happens in the first 3/4 plays? Down field throws. Stretch them and it works. This is why the OL is playing terribly when KB is in because its 5 on 8.

I don't think TL is there yet though from a game management experience, but i have confidence they will get him prepped to be ready for the ACC championship and the playoffs. (And remember, Tua didn't really start playing until the playoffs either ... so there isn't a tremendous need to get TL out there ASAP as we will still win with KB)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The backs, receivers and tight end have to help block when 7

Sep 11, 2018, 5:16 AM

or 8 are rushing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The backs, receivers and tight end have to help block when 7

Sep 11, 2018, 8:56 AM

This sounds like a paradox to me. When KB is in, they stack the box and the backs, receivers and tight end needs to block, and we need to throw the ball. Hmmmm? Who are we supposed to throw the ball to??? Maybe Scott and TE needs this info.

Re: Down Field Passing

Sep 11, 2018, 5:44 AM

The problem is they're letting that limited playbook for KB effect TL. His last two drives were nothing but screens behind the line of scrimmage. I don't think I have seen a bigger misuse of talent ( in those series at least ) since Spence with CJ. Lawrence probably has one of the best arms in the country. You got to let the man use it.

Sep 11, 2018, 6:50 AM

Maybe I’m crazy, but didn’t KB throw a 40 yard pass down field to Renfrow...a 50 yard pass down field to Higgins...and a pass down the seem to Rodgers that was probably 15-20 yards in the air and AR took for 64 yards?

Do y’all really not realize he threw the ball well downfield in the limited chance he had to do so Saturday night? TAMU’s defensive scheme was to stack the box and not allow enough time for deep pass plays to develop. They executed that game plan pretty well, but when we took our shots we connected on most of them.

I do wish they’d throw a few more passes over the middle, but I also 100% believe that if the coaches thought those types of plays would work and/or we have the right personnel to make them work at a given point in the game, they would call them.

Yep, and with a wet ball.***

Sep 11, 2018, 7:10 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2018, 8:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Down Field Passing ]

Excellent points, but i think the fact is they don't trust him too. They view him as a game manager. Maybe its the coaches putting him in the box, but it isn't like KB is really showing he can consistently do it.

With our WR talent this year, maybe they can change that for KB as last year, we really didn't have anyone. DW was blessed with Mike Williams and vice versa. KB didn't have that last year ... but with Higgins maybe he does now.

But KB still hasnt shown he can throw well consistently and i don't think the OCs have enough faith that he can.

No, our play calls are for options to pass downfield.

Sep 11, 2018, 9:03 AM

KB chooses to throw elsewhere because he has no confidence that he can throw deep without a turnover. If he overcomes this phobia I will be surprised and much delighted. I know he can do it. Contrary to how he appears, how he acts and what he says the boy lacks self confidence.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because the ACC is so weak, they know they can win

Sep 11, 2018, 9:09 AM

the conference with KB throwing "bubble screens" (I use this term to peel an old scab off of Tigernet board).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic