Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Morris breaks down Watson's injury, a simple offense and Stoudt's confidence
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

New Story: Morris breaks down Watson's injury, a simple offense and Stoudt's confidence

Nov 17, 2014, 1:29 PM

Morris breaks down Watson's injury, a simple offense and Stoudt's confidence

Offensive coordinator Chad Morris faced the media Monday morning in the WestZone, and he answered a bevy of questions concerning the health of quarterback Deshaun Watson, the struggles of Cole Stoudt and the plan going forward. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What about Olson from Stanford?

Nov 17, 2014, 1:33 PM

How has he been doing? Does anyone know?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't think stoudt lacks confidence.

Nov 17, 2014, 1:34 PM

Seems quite confident. Perhaps, end when he shouldn't be.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: Don't think stoudt lacks confidence.

Nov 17, 2014, 1:49 PM

If this offense could block & run the football, we wouldn't be so dependent on the health & confidence level of the quarterback.

Ding Ding DING!***

Nov 17, 2014, 2:09 PM

Apr 5, 2017, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Don't think stoudt lacks confidence. ]

Amen on that, if the line would open some holes for the backs that would take alot of pressure off of the quarterback. It seems like the o line has a lot to do with the lack of offense.

Nov 17, 2014, 5:04 PM

The O Line has EVERYTHING to do with the offense. Our O line doesn't seem to know what to do, and I think it all starts with them playing from the "up" position... that's fine for pass blocking, but not for run blocking. When's the last time you saw them in a 3-point stance? I played O Line in HS... these guys don't do anything but stand around. It does not appear that they are very well coached... DUH.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is not on the OL

Nov 17, 2014, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't think stoudt lacks confidence. ]

For those of you thinking a better OL would help Stoudt don't understand how the game works. If the defense knows that the QB can't read their coverage, then they just rush more players than what the OL can block. Works most of the time. Enough to win and will make any OL look like they can't block.

Nov 17, 2014, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't think stoudt lacks confidence. ]

Nah...Cole has been missing simple throws and is locking in on WR's. Most of passes have been underthrown, late or miss placed. That has nothing to do with the O-line when it's a timing play that he's off on. Cole seems to have thought that this season was going to be simple and he already had that Rock Star attitude prior to the first Game. It's like he just expected it to get better and wasn't doing much to make it get better.

so is a bruised psyche an injury that could keep him out of

Nov 17, 2014, 3:17 PM

a game?

Re: so is a bruised psyche an injury that could keep him out of

Nov 17, 2014, 8:13 PM

Yes...very much. When you have players saying they felt "deflated"and etc...that means that Cole has shown them off the field something that causes them not to believe in him at all. Considering that Cole has been in this system for so long yet can't run it better is partially his fault and the coaches fault. They should have seen the writing on the wall but during those struggle wins where he threw the same dumb passes that should have been Pick 6's but the other team dropped them.

Nov 17, 2014, 9:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't think stoudt lacks confidence. ]

> If this offense could block & run the football, we
> wouldn't be so dependent on the health & confidence
> level of the quarterback.
HAMMER, MEET NAIL!!!!

Nov 17, 2014, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Don't think stoudt lacks confidence. ]

You obviously don't watch the games then.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HOW ABOUT Hunter Renfrow. If we are going to.....

Nov 17, 2014, 2:34 PM

Run the spread and zone read...He ran all through high school and shined. He can run the option as well. Socastee won 2 state championships with him there. I say give him a shot in practice. What the h3ll at this point?

Re: HOW ABOUT Hunter Renfrow. If we are going to.....

Nov 17, 2014, 2:55 PM

AGREED! I mean, what the heck - Have some tryouts from some people on the team who have played QB in the past. I mean, it cant get any worse. I would love to see Hunter Renfrow out there, he made people in HS look silly trying to defend him!

didn't Maryland start a LB a few years ago when 5 QB's got

Nov 17, 2014, 3:19 PM

hurt.....next man up!!!!

Tankersly was a QB in high school. I'm sure there

Nov 17, 2014, 4:56 PM [ in reply to HOW ABOUT Hunter Renfrow. If we are going to..... ]

are some others. Why not run the wildcat if DW can't go for the last game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would like to see that but the problem

Nov 17, 2014, 5:55 PM [ in reply to HOW ABOUT Hunter Renfrow. If we are going to..... ]

Is that he probably doesn't know much of this offense. He's been playing on scout team all season. He hasn't been practicing with the QB 's. Would be hard for him to go out there and run this offense. Plus the offense he ran in highschool was kind of like GT's offense. He rarely passed the ball. Maybe we could use him on option plays but he would need alot of practice and just not enough time for that

Re: New Story: Morris breaks down Watson's injury, a simple offense and Stoudt's confidence

Nov 17, 2014, 2:56 PM

First and foremost, it is great to hear that Watson's injury is not serious. We all wish him a speedy recovery.

The rest of the dribble from Morris is more of his "tail wagging the dog" malarky. Simplify the offense? How about recruiting a top notch offensive line (see Auburn - who runs a similar offense) and running the #### ball? Morris is a clown - that is why he does not have a head coaching job at a FBS school.

With that said, the real issue with Clemson's offense is not just QB-specific. The devil is always in the details, and here are the Tigers' team rushing stats through 12 weeks of the season:

Attempts: 413
Total Yards: 1396
Yards / Attempt: 3.4
Yards / Game: 139.6
Rushing TDs: 13
FBS Rank (out of 124 teams): 103rd

But wait, it gets worse. The key metric here is yards per rushing attempt, for which Clemson is ranked 112th out of 124 teams. Good stuff.

Teams that cannot consistently run the ball will not win many games against top-tier competition. Case in point, Clemson has lost three of their five must-win games on the 2014 schedule (FSU, Georgia & GT). Here are Clemson's rushing statistics in each of those three losses. It is worth noting that Clemson's rushing numbers vs. GT are not awful:

Clemson @ Georgia (Rushing metrics):

Rushing Attempts: 43
Total Yards: 88
Yards / Attempt: 2.0

Clemson @ FSU (Rushing metrics):

Rushing Attempts: 40
Total Yards: 101
Yards / Attempt: 2.5

Clemson @ GT (Rushing metrics):

Rushing Attempts: 32
Total Yards: 125
Yards / Attempt: 3.9

The rushing numbers through 12 weeks get downright ugly if you discount all rushing yardage vs. S. Carolina State. Clemson is not just a bad offensive team, when it comes to running the football, they are almost dead last in the most important rushing rankings - out of 124 FBS teams. Job well done, Coach Morris. It's a race to the bottom.

Re: New Story: Morris breaks down Watson's injury, a simple offense and Stoudt's confidence

Nov 17, 2014, 7:00 PM

Im not a big Morris fan, but im also not a big Morris hater either. I watched the backs running the ball @ the beginning of the season & they had absolutely no holes to run thru. Its getting a little better now but up until the last few games the backs werent letting any blocks establish before bursting thru. I do blame that on Morris because that is his job to make sure they understand how to run & to be patient until a hole opens up. I do think we would be a lot further along if we had even half the depth on offense as we do on defense.

Don't get blinded by stats

Nov 17, 2014, 7:10 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Morris breaks down Watson's injury, a simple offense and Stoudt's confidence ]

If the QB can't read coverage and find the open receiver, then the defense will dare you to throw and you won't be getting many yards on first downs running the ball. The problem is Stoudt

exactly. And explain why Tajh was so great.

Nov 17, 2014, 7:24 PM

I feel bad for Cole but he simply cannot read defenses. Even if he weren't hurt things would not be any better.

Nov 18, 2014, 8:26 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Morris breaks down Watson's injury, a simple offense and Stoudt's confidence ]

Amen my man. You hit it on the head. First, I would fire Caldwell, we haven't been able to run the since Dabo took over. He finally got rid of the last O line coach which was never successful except recuriting. What kills me is that Deshaun can find lines to run through but the backs cannot. One thing that I've noticed is Deshaun takes a more of a delay than the backs do. That said, it appears that they're not given enough time for those guys that are pulling. It looks like they all run right in the backs of the O line. I sometimes wonder if the coaches every notice this. Maybe they need to run out of the pistol to allow more time. It really #$@^& me off. In - addition, maybe running the basic plays could be the problem. What the heck nobody every watches film anymore, right?

Nov 17, 2014, 2:58 PM

I don't understand the only answer is Cole Stoudt. He has no eligibility left.after this year. He is not getting the job done. There is not enough time left to get him right. I feel bad for his situation, but enough is enough. Nick is a sophomore and.needs game experience.for the future. He will be pressed next season for back up to cover any injury that occurs with Watson from Spring Practice to beginning of season. Granted, we have 2 QB's coming in 2015 class, but 1 will probably see a redshirt, and other has no game experience. Start Nick next 2 games and if he doesn't get the job done, then bring in Cole. The Coaches need to prepare for the future and Cole is not gonna be part of it, Nick is.

The problem with our offense is simply the OFFENSIVE LINE!

Nov 17, 2014, 3:09 PM

If our OL could even resemble the OLs of Coach Howard, or certainly Coach Ford, we would be fine+.

Re: The problem with our offense is simply the OFFENSIVE LINE!

Nov 17, 2014, 3:18 PM

Amen to that!

Coach Howard's? *L* We used to lose to Rice for god's sake***

Nov 17, 2014, 3:46 PM [ in reply to The problem with our offense is simply the OFFENSIVE LINE! ]

Three yards in a cloud of dust would look good about now.***

Nov 17, 2014, 4:53 PM [ in reply to The problem with our offense is simply the OFFENSIVE LINE! ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The way he played against UGA, he was horrendous that game..

Nov 17, 2014, 3:30 PM

whole second half 3 and out. At this point I don't think Stoudt wants to play anymore. He was totally unprepared to play against GT. He didn't look like he wanted to go into the game. His injury is far worse than the staff has let on, and I'm sure he is tired of the criticism. Just play Schuessler. It can't get worse than 3 and outs, and throwing the ball right to defenders. This has just gotten beyond absurd. First off, Stoudt just doesn't have the ability to play at this level of college football as a starter or even the number 2 QB. And his injury is so bad he has trouble throwing the ball more than 5 yards downfield. I feel sorry for Cole, because Dabo keeps on putting him in there when he is too injured to play. It is beyond obvious we need to give Schuessler a try.

Re: The way he played against UGA, he was horrendous that game..

Nov 17, 2014, 3:37 PM

I want to agree with you, but Stoudt is the scapegoat for the current coaching staff's inability to recruit, retain and develop a top notch O-line. To be clear, Stoudt has not played well - at all - no question about that. It looks like he is in pain every time he tries to throw the ball. However, it's lipstick on a pig at this point to play another QB. We are not going to beat Carolina with a 3rd string QB. It is not going to happen. Dabo and Morris are in a tough spot.

With our without Watson, if we lose a 6th straight game to Carolina, there will be rumblings for change & rightly so.

The problem with the oline is the oline coach..

Nov 17, 2014, 4:00 PM

we have recruited plenty of talent to have a good offensive line. We have played teams all season long, who haven't recruited as good as we have, yet they block a 1000 times better than we do. Robbie Caldwell is a terrible coach. Our oline has zero footwork. They just stand still and only block with their hands. Caldwell should have never been hired in the first place. Caldwell has been in coaching since the 70's and the 3 FBS programs he has been with are UNC, NC State, and Vanderbilt. 3 schools that could care less about football. He was at Vandy for 11 years. If you've been coaching since the 70s and you haven't been with a program that cares about winning, you are not a good coach.

If its true that Stoudt got 0 reps with the 1st team

Nov 17, 2014, 4:00 PM [ in reply to The way he played against UGA, he was horrendous that game.. ]

he should be unprepared physcially. Morris also didn't look like he had any sort of backup plan when Watson went down and threw out the entire gameplan. We were running that power toss sweep pretty well when Watson was in, but didn't call it 1 time with Stoudt. Thats not a QB dependent play.

What I saw Sat was equal faults coaching and player, a whole lot of panicking and a whole lot of bad football.

We were completely unprepared, which happens too often...

Nov 17, 2014, 4:02 PM

against ranked opponents. We have an 0-3 record against ranked opponents this season.

Re: A high Level?

Nov 17, 2014, 3:35 PM

Someone tell me when Stoudt has played at a high level for Clemson? Does Morris mean coming in behind Tajh performing mop up duty? or games like SC state? Those are the only times I could think Morris could possibly even define Stoudt's performance as high level?

Morris thinks you have to be high to think Stoudt is a QB

Nov 17, 2014, 3:56 PM

;)

And here's to...

Nov 17, 2014, 4:03 PM

Wondering just how loudly Chad Kelly is laughing to himself...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where the Blue Ridge yawns its greatness, Where the Tigers play...

Apparently Dabo will pick QB, not Chad just like vs UGA, FSU

Nov 17, 2014, 4:29 PM

Around the UGA & FSU games, Morris made it sound like Dabo chose to start the less talented Stoudt against Morris' wishes. Now it sounds like Dabo, not Morris, will choose the starting QB this week.

“There is a chance I am sure Coach Swinney will speak more in-depth on this later in the week, but as the coordinator you try to prepare for every scenario possible. As the coordinator I am preparing for him not to play. That is from my standpoint - if he plays he plays."

Nov 17, 2014, 4:45 PM

Let me translate what Chad Morris is saying..... Cole Stoudt Sucks Really Bad! We wish we did not get rid of Chad Kelly! WE may lose to Ga State and make it a tri-fector! I guess you have to speak positive when everyone including Cole recognizes he sucks! We need to run a wildcat offense with Robert-the DB. I think he was a QB in highschool, which is about the level Cole is playing at.

I looked at Stoudt's record, quick kicking on third down

Nov 17, 2014, 5:59 PM

I am sure he is a fine person but if this was when I was at CU, we would be quick kicking on third down underCoach Ingram. He has five TD's this year, three against WF and one against SC State. We need to get beyond this loyalty.

Nov 17, 2014, 5:25 PM

With our offensive struggles this season I guess we won't have to worry much about Chad leaving in the offseason because of head coaching offers.

Who was the QB we were trying to get in the

Nov 17, 2014, 6:04 PM

2013 class but we couldn't get him because he wanted early playing time and he didn't see that with Boyd, Watson and Kelly. He was actually a highly rated QB and we seemed to be very close to getting him. Can't remember his name, if anyone could help me out please do

Re: Who was the QB we were trying to get in the

Nov 17, 2014, 10:32 PM

The guy went to ucla right!!

there is no leadership on the offensive side of the ball.

Nov 17, 2014, 8:44 PM

The o-line is terrible and no one is holding anyone accountable. I dont expect Stoudt to take the bull by the horns and lead at this point, he is not vocal. Schuessler won't either. This is an opportunity for one of the younger players to step up.

Disagree. I've seen the same Cole Stoudt all season.

Nov 18, 2014, 11:46 AM

He tries hard and does his best, but ALL SEASON, he has not been very effective against defenses that are above average. Stats have turned out decent a couple of times this season, but they don't tell the whole story.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Ran him too #### much

Nov 20, 2014, 7:39 PM

He was taking a beating. Most offensive coordinators would have adjusted. You did not. Isnt his primary strength passing?

He was on pace for 60 rushes in the game when injured.

What happened to the Chad Morris from a few years ago?

Re: Ran him too #### much

Nov 20, 2014, 7:46 PM

ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!! just no reason to run him that much

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic