Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don't know if anyone else is watching this Panthers-Jets
Other Sports Boards - The Pro Zone
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Don't know if anyone else is watching this Panthers-Jets

Dec 15, 2013, 4:33 PM

game, but was really, really surprised at the number of empty seats I saw on t.v. at the start of this game in Charlotte. For this to be a playoff contention team, really wouldn't have thought that would be the case.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've long pondered the fan support problem for the Panthers-

Dec 15, 2013, 4:49 PM

As an original PSL owner, I was often disappointed in the fan support at Panthers games in the late '90s and early 2000s. I think the roots of this were two-fold. One, the Panthers were mediocre to terrible from 1997-2003 and have been through plenty of highs and lows since then. I always sensed a strong fair-weather fan attitude in Charlotte. Two, the Panthers are still a relatively young franchise. This is exacerbated by a few other factors. The college sports scene in the Carolinas is very popular. Plus, you have a lot of Yankees in the Charlotte region, many of whom have brought their own allegiances with them. In evidence of this last factor, there was always a sizable crowd of "visiting" fans at the games.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs—Victory in spite of all terror—Victory, however long and hard the road may be..." - Winston Churchill

i'll agree with you but there are a LOT of southern folks

Dec 15, 2013, 5:02 PM

who grew up as Redskin or Falcon fans too who didn't make the transition once we got a team nearby. I know a ton of folks i grew up around who remain Skins fans particularly, and always will be. If we ever win a SB, you'll see the fever spread and the fair weather types will be out in force. I'm a huge Panther fan after growing up a Giant fan. It took me about two years to wean myself off the Giants once we got the team in Charlotte. I went to about 5 games between '96 and '98 and it was a wrap. I went to the game last year here in SD when we waxed the Chargers and had a blast. I'm just as much a Panther fan as I am a Tiger fan. I love the NFL and CFB and it's a good time to be a Panther fan again.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and for those who haven't been, BOA Stadium is a beautiful

Dec 15, 2013, 5:05 PM

stadium.....not a bad seat in the house as far as i'm concerned....when i'm back home, i always park at one of the downtown bank towers, etc., who charge 10 bucks or so for parking, pull the little grill out, get my tailgate on, walk to the stadium.....i enjoy the hell out of it.

Re: Don't know if anyone else is watching this Panthers-Jets

Dec 15, 2013, 4:50 PM

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Watching AE put another solid game together

Dec 15, 2013, 5:09 PM

The guy already has close to 100 yards midway through the 2nd quarter, leading all players on either team in both rushing and receiving yards.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Panthers will get popped in the first round if they make

Dec 15, 2013, 5:14 PM

the playoffs. It's been a remarkable year for them. I look for them to get better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

would like to see a map where fans live for panthers

Dec 15, 2013, 5:18 PM

always heard SC is weak, especially Columbia. Goes back to where the panthers would play. Many thought they'd be closer to Rock HIll, but they built the stadium downtown.

Also, the Raleigh crowd doesn't seem to be strong either

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can tell you there is very little interest in the Panthers

Dec 15, 2013, 5:22 PM

or pro sports in general in the Columbia area. For a city the size of the Columbia, the lack of knowledge and even interest in sports on a national and professional level is bewildering almost.

what about Gville/Sburg area... I never had heard

Dec 15, 2013, 5:26 PM

I think many in columbia, hold the panthers playing in clemson over their head.

everything I read, it was the coots fault they didn't play in columbia

also, the Redskins still have a strong fan base even though they suck.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

man, tell me something i don't know...i grew up there

Dec 15, 2013, 5:29 PM [ in reply to I can tell you there is very little interest in the Panthers ]

if you've lived anywhere else in or near an urban area, you see the difference....in Columbia, if it isn't the Chickens, or Chicken related, it's a non-factor to most of them. My Pop instilled a love of pro and college sports in me and I thank him for that, big time. I follow all pro and college sports year round and it adds so much enjoyment to my life. Everyone does what they do and I don't judge folks but I'm glad that my Pop put it into me because life is a year round tour of fandom for me, pro and college and I have a blast doing it. I have an advantage as a single guy with my kids being adults now, but i'm going to the Charger/Raider game this Sunday coming and tailgating....simply because I love going to games, period. I could care less who wins but the grill and beer will be going hard.

Poor attendance

Dec 15, 2013, 5:26 PM

Crazy thing is, I think it being in NC is what killed SC fan support. I remember attending first year games at Death Valley and since they have moved, have never felt the urge to go there. I don't consider them our team. Look at attendance for NC college teams. I think NC State has the largest capacity stadium and attendance numbers. Charlotte is just not a high attendance market(hornets left, Bobcats numbers aren't great). South Carolina has two universities that can pack out two high capacity stadiums on Saturdays, so maybe one here on Sunday would have been the smarter move. Really, I just want our own pro team so I can call them mine, and they should just call them the Charlotte Panthers, like half the announcers do.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

all about the $$$

Dec 15, 2013, 5:28 PM

$24 for parking
$100 per ticket
$6 for a bottle of water
$12 for a hot dog and chips

The heck with the panthers...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's tough to take a family, that's for sure

Dec 15, 2013, 5:29 PM

I've been more than 10 times since they started, but never paid for a ticket.

Re: it's tough to take a family, that's for sure

Dec 15, 2013, 5:36 PM

sort of like at clemson huh.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Other Sports Boards - The Pro Zone
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next