Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mike Williams?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 2,613

Mike Williams?

Nov 12, 2015, 2:21 PM

Is there any potential of Mike Williams returning this year? If we make the playoffs and the Natty, it will have been like 4 months since he got injured.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope not.

Nov 12, 2015, 2:24 PM

Neck injuries are not something you can just "play through"...

He should be benched until there is 100% certainty he can play again with no repercussions..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TIGER BALLS.

Re: Don't count on it

Nov 12, 2015, 2:27 PM

nm

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mike Williams?

Nov 12, 2015, 2:29 PM

Dabo seems to have left the door open for that, although it seems unlikely and it would probably not be a wise decision for him to come back and play, especially if he is planning to test NFL waters. He will certainly be out of football shape and rusty, so coming back and not having a great deal of production would damage his potential draft stock. Now, if he is rendered as healthy by the medical staff, has decided to return to a lesson for his senior year, and just feels like he wants to help the team out, then by all means, come on back Mike.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My guess is that if you wear a neck brace to hold your head

Nov 12, 2015, 2:32 PM

up for several months, your neck muscles atrophy. Playing football with severely weakened neck muscles doesn't make much sense. Therefore, it will be a slow process, once the broken bone is healed, to rebuild the neck muscles, and get back into shape for violent contact with other large and fast human beings. I'm guessing he does that between now and spring practice, then uses spring practice to ease back into contact and get ready for next year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

0% chance he comes back this year.

Nov 12, 2015, 2:45 PM

nm

The championship game is in the new year

Nov 12, 2015, 4:41 PM

So what about next year?

Nov 12, 2015, 3:02 PM

Wow, the question still coming up. No,way he's not playing this year. Under any circumstances he's done until the 2016 season.

Nov 12, 2015, 4:31 PM

Yeah he will likely need a few months of rehab to recondition his neck and shoulders. He may get released to return to practice and training but its a long shot that we see him in a game. @Auburn next year is most likely.

Nov 12, 2015, 4:34 PM

And lets be clear, he is very blessed that his injury came out like it did. It could have just as easily left him with some sort of disability. Im not sure people realize how close he came to that.

The daily Mike Williams post.***

Nov 12, 2015, 4:35 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Nov 12, 2015, 5:25 PM

I'll probably lose points for this, but I'm a physician. Here's the deal. Mike Williams went down immediately, in pain, and had some difficulties with moving extremities. He is blessed as many of you mentioned, in an odd way b/c he didn't feel like getting up. Our trainers handled this injury promptly and in the correct way, saving him from a needed surgery. He is lucky and thank God for this young man it wasn't more severe. Contrast this with Baylor QB. He gets up, lines up for the next play, knows something isn't right and you see him move his neck to the side as it is uncomfortable. This scares the poo out of me whenever I see it, b/c he could have made himself paralyzed by making a fracture now an unstable fracture. He required season ending surgery. The running back from Arkansas, similar, required season ending surgery. Because Williams was handled correctly and promptly, he had a fracture that didn't require surgery. A soft brace does almost nothing other than remind you that you are injured and not to do too much. Bone heals typically in 6-12 weeks and calcifies to being hardened. So it's not impossible that his bone is healed as much as it ever will be. The question, like others mentioned, is his neck weakened? You better believe our training staff is top notch. He will, if not already, be performing physical therapy. I think unless some of us have insider information, it is meaningless to speculate. If you do the math, he could very well be healed up on the bony side. He could do a good 4-6 weeks of physical therapy and then practice the entire time between ACC Championship and bowl games. It is not impossible that he could play. But, on the other side, there could be more to the injury/recovery than we know and he may very well be out. Don't be entirely surprised though if he's an ace in the hole that plays come the playoffs if he is completely healed. I agree he should be completely healed, but he may actually be. No crossing patterns in the end zone. But, if he's 100%, let him run a go route. Mike, if you're not 100%, don't play and we'll look forward to seeing you return one day, whether it be on Sunday or again in a Tiger uniform. Go Mike Williams, Go Tigers!

Nov 12, 2015, 5:36 PM

You won't lose points. I like it when actual physicians give medical assessments.

I was kind of thinking the same thing, albeit without your medical expertise. I think it's possible he's back for the playoffs.

If he's cleared, it's about where his head is at...and where the team is at. Personally, if I thought I was good to go, I'd very much want to be a part of a potential playoff run.

On the other hand, if it's just a bowl game and Clemson doesn't make the playoffs, why risk it? He's got a redshirt year to burn...go ahead and take it, that way you've still got 2 left to play 2 in case some other unexpected injury happens. Ask Charone Peake or Tony Steward: they happen.

Nov 12, 2015, 5:52 PM

Yes, I didn't even put this in my post, but my thoughts exactly. Granted he has an NFL career to look after too, but if he's close to 100% and cleared to play, do you think as a competitor, he doesn't want a chance to win a ring? These are all ifs. I think again, this is speculation. I suspect the training and coaching staff know very well how his rehab is going. I don't think it's a coincidence that they've not said yet that he won't be back this year. That means they don't know that for a fact. But, now I'm speculating. I think there must be at least a small chance or they'd put it to bed and say he's out. How beautiful would it be to see him leave someone in the dust in a go route?

Questions?

Nov 12, 2015, 5:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Mike Williams? ]

Many people are playing football that are not 100%.

As a physician, how do you determine and what injuries do you allow a player to play at say - 90%?

Does the percentage change by injury - say a neck versus a knee versus a finger?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Questions?

Nov 12, 2015, 5:48 PM

First of all, I must admit, I'm not a team physician or an orthopedic physician. However, it definitely depends on the potential severity of the injury and the likelihood of it getting better. So, if it were a neck injury, and you were worried that he's not strong enough to protect himself, you would hold off until he's 100% let's say (may actually be 90%). Whereas, a shoulder injury like Shaq Lawson, they apparently think with the terminator brace he was wearing, he's not likely to have a major injury if he continues to play. And then, I'm sure it depends on how needed you are on the team and how good your opponent is to a certain extent. So, if a player is hurt and they could come back, but you're playing a Syracuse team, you sit them, let them rest and get closer to 100%. My suspicion is that a non-neck injury, in a key player, in the first game of the playoffs, you play them even without being 100%. However, in a neck injury (which death and paraplegia are a risk), you probably want them at pretty darned close to 100% Not sure if that helps??

Answers.

Nov 12, 2015, 9:07 PM

Yes - a very good explanation.

Thank you!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 16
| visibility 2,613
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic