Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don’t control destiny yet.. need some help
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

Don’t control destiny yet.. need some help

Oct 29, 2017, 12:47 AM

1. Bama
2. Georgia
3. Ohio State
4. Notre Dame
5. Penn State
6. Clemson
7. MIAMI
8. Wisconsin
9. Washington
10. Oklahoma

3-10 is a crap shoot. We have a great strength of schedule, but also have a bad loss. If an unbeaten Georgia beats an unbeaten Bama, 2 sec schools are getting in... that plus Notre Dame Who also has one of the strongest strength of schedules (and a better *cringe* loss) will be hard to get past. After a big 10 champ... lot of football left, but pulling hard against Notre Dame, and Ohio State (and sec schools as always)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

63-17

just beat NC State. It's fine. ACC Champ Clemson gets in over ND any day.

Oct 29, 2017, 12:48 AM

ND avoids a potential loss and injuries by wimping out and avoiding a conference championship game. That should count as a loss to the committee.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

That should be the case.

Oct 29, 2017, 1:02 AM

But the committee screwed up last year when they rewarded Ohio St who didn’t play for a conference championship.
It’s so hard to tell what the committee will do. First year they held it against the Big 12 but by the 3rd year it seems conference championships aren’t that important.

I wish they would just put the 4 highest rated conference champions in the playoffs or expand.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That should be the case.

Oct 29, 2017, 2:30 PM

Ohio State was rewarded because the Big Ten champ PSU had two losses. Different situation.

ND also doesn't play cupcakes like most schools.

Oct 30, 2017, 12:25 AM [ in reply to just beat NC State. It's fine. ACC Champ Clemson gets in over ND any day. ]

They don't need a conference championship game with their schedule. If they win out and have wins over USC, Miami, NC state, Stanford, Michigan State, wake, Bc, navy, etc and just the 1 point loss to UGA, they are going to get in.

Re: ND also doesn't play cupcakes like most schools.

Oct 30, 2017, 2:34 AM

Any extra game is an extra opportunity to lose. It is an advantage to play less games.

It's also an advantage to play a ridiculously weak schedule that may include

Oct 30, 2017, 6:34 AM

zero ranked teams until the conference title game. Looking at you Wisconsin.

Re: Don’t control destiny yet.. need some help

Oct 29, 2017, 12:49 AM

We win out we’re in. No help needed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup. That in a nutshell is

Oct 29, 2017, 1:00 AM

Controlling our destiny.

Domers still have to play Navy

Oct 29, 2017, 12:54 AM

so they're out already

Go Navy!***

Oct 29, 2017, 4:21 PM

Oct 29, 2017, 12:54 AM

Ur right . We need awburn to beat ga or bama. If they beat bama though, uga has to beat bama in champ game.

Still think we’d have too many quality wins. Like it or not we need coots to lose only to uga and they could squeeze into top 25 when we play them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2017, 12:57 AM

I see you point on ND. Iowa State helps us out today. ND still has MIA and STAN left. I think the tiebreak would be "CLEM never lost a game that KB finished"

I don't think Penn State will be ahead of us.

Oct 29, 2017, 12:59 AM

I just don't.

Re: I don't think Penn State will be ahead of us.

Oct 29, 2017, 1:05 AM

they choked pretty bad today

Keep in mind how committee ranks wins

Oct 29, 2017, 1:04 AM

Current ranking is what matters, not ranking when you beat them. ND has matched us in ranked wins and has a better loss. They are guaranteed to be ahead of us. Penn State most likely to be ahead of us as well.

Penn State probably won’t play for a conference championship.

Oct 29, 2017, 1:07 AM

It would be shocking if both Notre Dame and Penn State got in without a conference championship.

But who knows what the committee will do?

I don't see it (PSU)..

Oct 29, 2017, 1:07 AM [ in reply to Keep in mind how committee ranks wins ]

Friendly wager? Donate a new shiny R thingy?

Re: I don't see it (PSU)..

Oct 29, 2017, 1:24 AM

Hope you are right. Playoff committee is going to see the Ohio State loss as a near push because psu was in charge of the game for all but the bitter end. Won’t hurt much in their eyes. We were never in control of the cuse game. Hope you are right, and can’t bet against clemson. We will see on Tuesday.

63-17

I say PSU choked.

Oct 29, 2017, 1:28 AM

But I'm with you bud, we will see on Tuesday.

Re: I say PSU choked.

Oct 29, 2017, 3:22 AM

OHio State was better team..... PSU got a kick return TD and there was a fumble that set them up for another TD, and they still lost the game.

What I don't understand is why OSU would be in over Oklahoma at this point given they both have 1 loss and OSU lost to Oklahoma at home.

True.***

Oct 29, 2017, 10:38 AM

Re: Keep in mind how committee ranks wins

Oct 29, 2017, 1:24 AM [ in reply to Keep in mind how committee ranks wins ]

I agree, in the end a conference championship win will be big and most likely vault us ahead of those teams. Bad thing is, we're likely to be left out of the top 4 playoff rankings til the end of the year.

BUT that bad loss probably could’ve been averted

Oct 29, 2017, 1:08 AM

had the starting QB not been gimpy and KNOCKED OUT of the game. perhaps.

Wisconsin will be higher. ND lower.***

Oct 29, 2017, 1:11 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wisconsin will be higher. ND lower.***

Oct 29, 2017, 1:16 AM

Maybe in the AP and Coaches but NOT in the playoff rankings.. playing nobody doesn’t go nearly as far with the committee as it does with the other polls. Part of me actually wanted to put sugar ahead of Bama because of the Notre Dame win

63-17

Fella on ESPN radio was talking some crazy talk Friday.

Oct 29, 2017, 1:18 AM [ in reply to Wisconsin will be higher. ND lower.*** ]

He theorized that a 1 loss SEC team would get in over an undefeated Wisconsin. Therefore 2 SEC teams in the playoffs.

If that ever happens then we can officially call this new playoff system a total failure.

Oct 29, 2017, 1:20 AM [ in reply to Wisconsin will be higher. ND lower.*** ]

Look at WISC schedule, they should barely crack the top 10. Not their fault, but it's pathetic. Penn State's isn't much better. As much as I hate to admit it, chickens being 8-3 could help us in the end, although our resume is solid enough if they want to collapse....

Oct 29, 2017, 3:25 AM

As much as it would pain me to see it happen, a Georgia loss to SC would help us tremendously. It would help us twofold. We would have a ranked team to play in Columbia and it will also give Georgia their first loss. Then we need Auburn or LSU to slip up and beat Bama. That way if the SECCG is Bama and UGA, the loser would have 2 losses.

We need Ohio St to get another loss. They still have to play Michigan St at home and Michigan on the road.

Wisconsin still has to play Michigan.

Notre Dame still has to play Miami, Navy, and Stanford back to back to back and Miami and Stanford are on the road.

Just win!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2017, 3:27 AM

ND also has Wake next week and they played well against Lville. I think Wake has as much chance of beating ND as NCSU did.

Oct 29, 2017, 3:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Wisconsin will be higher. ND lower.*** ]

Wisconsin's good RB got knocked out of the game today. I can't see them winning out without him even though their schedule isn't that tough with Michigan being the best team they see.

Oct 29, 2017, 4:08 AM

The CFP committee doesn't look at it like the pollsters do... They don't react week to week like the pollsters do... it body of work and they incorporate into that - where you play, how you play overall, who you have played, and injuries...

Take these teams and rank them:

-T team has 6 wins against teams with winning records and has played three top 15 matchups with two of those teams reaming in the top 20 (Auburn and VT). One loss team (bad loss on the road by 3 points to unranked team).
-U team has a loss (bad loss at home by double digits to a struggling team) and only 2 wins over ranked teams (Army and Penn St.) One loss team.
-V has 4 wins over winning teams (USC and NCSU are ranked) One loss team by one point to UGA.(good loss)
-W 2 wins over winning teams (one over a ranked opponent at the time FSU... hilarious now). But dominant wins for the most part.
-X has 4 wins over teams with a winning record (with wins on the road at ND and vs Miss State). Dominant wins almost every week.
-Y has 2 wins over winning record teams and has 0 wins over top 25 teams (at the time or now)
-Z has 2 wins over winning rerecord teams at this time (one being Toledo) and not wins over top 25 teams (at this time or now)

When you are done you will have team T in the top 4 if you are unbiased and logical... and that is Clemson.

The blind test never works but no matter CU should be in the top 4 over OSU, Wisc, Miami and or Penn St. at this point in time given the SOS, the injuries, where they have had to play, and the quality of wins.

Just win though and it doesn't matter as Clemson is in the playoff.

Oct 29, 2017, 7:52 AM

Two SEC teams are NOT getting in .
This has been addressed .

Gosh.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 29, 2017, 2:48 PM

You're right, but then, somewhere in the mix is the thought Clemson doesn't control its destiny. How that math is arrived at is bewildering, but maybe that's the 'atic' part a fan can't control.

Fact is, the B1G is getting annointed the same as the SEC was last year. B1G is garbage...period.
And if Auburn keeps their heads on straight, they're danger for UGA and Bama...and LSU might be rising from the ashes. Regardless, there's little to stop the Dawgs from winning the LEast, sadly, but penciling in Bama as an automatic for the SECCG is fools' gold at the moment. Bama's too one dimensional and it will bite them.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2017, 11:07 PM

I'd like to believe Bama could lose but I think a team has to have a good passing QB and offense to beat Bama, and LSU, MSU don't have that. Auburn has a small chance but I think Bama will win it comfortably.

I agree

Oct 29, 2017, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Don’t control destiny yet.. need some help ]

The SEC Championship game is a play-in game - especially if Notre Dame is one of the play-off teams. I cannot see the committee only taking teams from two conferences. That would happen with Bama, UGa, and ND.

Can you imagine the howling if three of the five Power Conferences are left out?

Re: I agree

Oct 29, 2017, 11:04 PM

Taking ND will also be controversial, b/c having the flexiblity to schedule tough opponents gives them an advantage for making the playoffs.

The real poll comes out Tuesday evening.

Oct 29, 2017, 4:22 PM

I went to DEFCON 1 after the cuse game but I'm not going to DEFCON 2 until after the POC rings in. I think we may want to postpone a thermonuclear strike until after the conference championship games too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2017, 12:15 AM

We do control our own destiny. 2 teams from one conference is not happening. Especially with the independent ND in the picture. PAC is out and Big 12 is shaky at best.

Oct 30, 2017, 2:36 AM

I think Pac 10 has case for being overall conference this year.

Oct 30, 2017, 2:37 AM

oops, PAC 12 may be best overall conference this year.

Oct 30, 2017, 2:41 AM

Consider this, what if Auburn wins out, which would include winning at Texas AM, beating Bama, and beating UGA twice. I can't see committee leaving them out of playoffs even with 2 losses. A won loss Bama team that doesn't make the SEC title game is probably still going to get in. Two teams out of SEC is very possible this year.

Oct 30, 2017, 2:42 AM

lol 'won' loss = one loss

Oct 30, 2017, 12:41 AM

As per usual, Notre Dame will be hyped to death until Thanksgiving, when they are the only relevant team to stop playing while everyone else plays in title games. Not to mention they still have Miami & Stanford on the road.

Oct 30, 2017, 2:35 AM

I think their offense has more juice than Miami's offense. Miami's QB usually worse than 50 percent completion rate.

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic