Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don't Forget: "they have a new OC"! In Sarkisian.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,926

Don't Forget: "they have a new OC"! In Sarkisian.

Jul 8, 2019, 12:57 PM

I keep hearing Bama brought up and I can't help but wonder; "have people forgotten who Sarkisian is"? He isn't the same guy Tur-the-ball-ova has had and isn't "naturally" an RPO - spread guy. He would have learn all that exhibit A. Exhibit B. Exhibit C. even with a more wide open offense and all that talent - the Tide were shut out in the 2nd half!

When I hear people talk about the unknown we have on defense - I get it. But, wouldn't you rather be Clemson having Brent Venables and a ton of players who played significant minutes back? Over a new OC who is not really use to calling/teaching the offense the star QB excels in. Who knows if Turn-the-ball-ova latches on and "gets the west coast offense"! I'm sure they will keep the plays he excels at of course, but much of play calling is about setting up the next play! Working this play to set up the next and so on. It would be like knowing how to fix something using an unfamiliar tool! Some of the principals are the same; but in a pinch you won't be as natural/comfortable using that unfamiliar tool.

In short, "I think Bama will miss the Co-OC's more than people are talking about"! They will end up being the same - run heavy - beat you in the trenches team. Remember, even when they were dominant sometimes if your run defense was good; they would have close games? Now, imagine going against BV and a Clemson offense that is as explosive as there is in the country!

If I was Saban(obviously I am not) I would impress upon my OC we are going to run the football and "run it some more"! B/C if we play Clemson and chances are good we may; we want to be our best at doing that! It will - OC - "allow us to possess the football and keep Trevor Lawrence and Travis Etienne off the field if we dominant time of possession"!

In short, I see them slowing down some this year! Agree? Disagree?

***Conversely if you are Bama opponents you had better be able to stop them early on running downs. Or they will play action you do an early death! If you allow them to be balanced on offense; they will at that point be very hard to stop!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't Forget: "they have a new OC"! In Sarkisian.

Jul 8, 2019, 1:00 PM

I wish Kiff would come back. I loath him. It would be fun to beat that bozo

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2019, 2:00 PM

Loved the Kiffin Krimson Korner show.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jul 8, 2019, 2:22 PM

So it's here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TvJy2Ot48M&list=RD4acayiZAHaM&start_radio=1

Don't forget to watch the second one too.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2019, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't Forget: "they have a new OC"! In Sarkisian. ]

Never forget Saban's biography,

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/6jvjtb/tosh-0-extended---unauthorized-biography-of-nick-saban---uncensored

Jul 8, 2019, 1:05 PM

Sarkisian was their OC in our 2016 win over them , wasn't he ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Yep... My first thought. Replaced Kiffen.***

Jul 8, 2019, 1:35 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2019, 1:15 PM

I disagree. Here's why look at last year they dominated the time of possession in the game until we went on our 10+ minute drive to end the game. even with that drive they still have over 3 minutes more of TOP. Sure they drove the field a lot but that was the plan all along with coach V. Keep everything in front of you and make them score on long drives. Something they obviously couldn't do. Look at the game when they got into the redzone our defense went back to normal and they couldn't move the ball with the exception of one drive the entire game. I don't see Coach V changing anything this year if we end up facing them again. The real question is now that Coach V showed everyone how to defend them can anyone on their schedule do the same? probably not.
Here's to round V with our Tigers taking the lead.

Go Tigers.

Jul 8, 2019, 1:20 PM

All it showed other teams is what an NFL front can do to Saban’s recruiting machine. He despises having to compete on a level playing field. Dictators are like that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2019, 3:44 PM

Sarkisian is a dang good O.C. The real factor will be Saban. Does Saban leave Sark alone or micro manage him? Either way, we beat Bama, but Sark is not a weak link.

Agree, but he won't be able to keep up point-wise...***

Jul 8, 2019, 3:49 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2019, 6:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't Forget: "they have a new OC"! In Sarkisian. ]

reynolds357 I can go along with that. I see it being Saban micro-managing Sark. Sark getting enough of it by late in the season and the Tide "Rolling Over Playing Dead"! J/K - Bama is dang good.

FOR THE RECORD: I never called Sarkisian a weak link. I said, "his offensive philosophy was different than the one that has made Tua Turn-The-Ball-Ova a household name"! Two totally different things i.m.o.

Playing in Sarks offense compared to what he is use to is like taking a Veer QB and putting them in an Air Raid offense! Maybe not that drastic; but the verbage is different and some of the philosophies and route combinations are different. People tend to( OC and QB ) go to what they are most comfortable with in a pinch! Now, picture both QB and OC having different things in mind on a 4th qtr 3rd and long. In Short, I think a bunch of Tua's success was: everyone being so afraid of those powerful RB's they had and dominant OL; that they stacked the box. Which meant he saw a bunch of single high safety looks with an obvious speed advantage (especially Jeudy). Will Sarkisian have them looking like Baylor a few years ago or will it be a more methodical offense? I am thinking the latter. Unless of course ole Nick wants to dictate everything! Force Sark to go to what Tua likes best and what the OC's did last year!
We'll see!

Not worried for 2 reasons

Jul 8, 2019, 4:34 PM

1. Bama might not even make the CFP this year with all those new coaches
2. Tua has been exposed and is not all that great

I must inject a little realism here. Bama was having success

Jul 8, 2019, 6:53 PM

running the ball in the early part of the game against us last year. They have been pretty darn good running the ball on us every time we have played them. 2016 could well have turned out different if Bo Scarbrough does not get hurt. We gut punched them last year early, made them realize they had to play all 60 minutes, and got a big enough lead that the run was taken away for the most part. But, make no mistake, if we wind up playing them again this year, it will be a war. Elite athletes do not like to be embarrassed, and they were last year. Truth be told, we had a chip on our own shoulder last year from the 24-6 "beating" we took the previous year.

I believe we will prevail again this coming year, if we have Clemson-Bama V. But, I do not think it will be 44-16 type of easy. It will be back to more smash mouth football, unless we hit every home run like last year on 3rd down, which cannot be counted on. I am looking forward to it!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I must inject a little realism here. Bama was having success

Jul 8, 2019, 7:36 PM

76er® You just agreed with me then!

See, I am not discounting Bama! No, I am merely saying, "the offense that allowed them to dismantle SEC defenses" will look different next year under S. Sarkisian. He is a west coast offense type and is just now coming into the RPO game.
As far as the success they have had in our games. You can't discount their stats, which I haven't! But, look back before they became "explosive" on offense. Even if they won the game sometimes they were "pedestrian" on offense. Remember too, their defense had scored so many TD's they could have been ranked at one point during the year ahead of some teams offenses! They are mighty good and no one is taking anything away from them!
I just think they have a QB that is more suited for the offensive philosophy of the OC's who just left more than he is for the OC he has coming in.

If Bo Scarborough had not been hurt you could say, but if you go there my friend, what about the year before and No Mike Williams against those horrible DB's(don't care where they were drafted their DB's were suspect that year). If M. Alexander wasn't hurt for us as well! So, I can't give any critical thought to that notion at all!

p.s. you know part of the game plan last year was to basically "give them the run" right? Make Tua be patient! Make him have to pick us apart! He couldn't! They had the big play to Jeudy where he gained a bunch of yards and then some other big plays! But, even with all that and how they ran the football - they got beaten by 28 pts. And they as you said, "ran pretty darn good"! I thought - going back to my original post - they should have just stuck to it; but instead they would keep trying to get Tua to make the tight throws; instead of pounding the rock. Which is why I see Saban getting involved and forcing the OC to pound it.

p.p.s. - even with as well as they ran it - it couldn't save them when we had the football! If they run a slower less explosive offense in other words and they still play us the same way, "they are in trouble"! To my knowledge they will have the same DC(if wrong LMK). They are Bama and will have good players - but wait isn't this class the one that slipped to 8th coming up? They will still be good DGMW. But, their offense/defense combination last year was being hailed the best ever! Mainly b/c of how explosive the offense was! B/C Bama keeps a tight defense!
With those two gone - unless Sark has had a total over-haul their offense won't be "as explosive" as the one Enos and Locksley put out last season. And that team lost! Just saying.
Again, not saying he is bad. Just different to the point I don't think Tua will be comfortable especially early. Then - will he be able to make the throws that offense will require? Saw some of their spring game and they are definitely still using RPO's. My point is - great for a spring game. But, when the game is on the line will a life long west coast offense guy call it? Or will he go to something he is more comfortable with?
This isn't a broad scope topic about bama. It's specific to the offensive philosophy only! And, if the history of who they have now, suggest he can maximize Tua's abilities! B/C unless the defense is all time great they are going to need him along with the dominant run game to make plays!

Re: I must inject a little realism here. Bama was having success

Jul 8, 2019, 9:16 PM

Wow, I seem to have struck a nerve there! I don't have much to say about Sarkisian except that he is a proven good offensive mind. And, usually, those minds will tweak their playbook to maximize the talent at hand. I expect nothing less from him, mostly because Lil' Nicky ain't gonna expect anything less. They could have some growing pains early, but their schedule is weak enough for it not to matter.

Since their cloak of invincibility has been shredded, I expect they may struggle against LSWho, A&M, and Awbarn is always a crapshoot rivalry game. But, in the end, I expect to have to beat them again to win the next Natty.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Send Sark a 5th as a present the day of the game

Jul 8, 2019, 7:40 PM

:)

Re: Send Sark a 5th as a present the day of the game

Jul 8, 2019, 8:01 PM

I want to laugh at that so bad! But, I can't.

Hopefully, he has gotten over his deal with the booze!

Please Read!

Jul 8, 2019, 8:11 PM

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2017/8/6/15625948/a-brief-history-of-alabama-offensive-coordinators-under-nick-saban-brian-daboll

After Daboll they hired of course the two who helped Tua become a Heisman Finalist. Sarkisian went 0-1 as OC.

I still believe had we had more offense in 2017 we would have given them a better game. The fact they only scored 24 and we couldn't do anything on offense was telling! Especially seeing how they "again" had murdered a few of their SEC foes. Putting up 66 on ole miss and 59 on vandy. Water under the bridge; but a missed opportunity for sure.

How hard can Saban push Sarkisian?
Is he willing to take the punishment?
To your point - will the pressure make him crack?

Will the recruiting class a couple seasons ago catch up? Probably not; but if you hang your hat "solely on having all the best players" at every position: "it could"!

Like any and every team out there including us(Clemson) you have to keep everyone healthy! Turn-The-Ball-Ova brother is the backup right? Hmmm!

Re: Please Read!

Jul 9, 2019, 9:33 AM

24-6 is why pretty much everyone, including Kelly Bryant, knew that Trevor Lawrence was going to be the eventual starter for us last year. We had to generate more passing offense, and Kelly, for all his strengths running the ball, was a mediocre passer at best.

I think Lil' Nicky is going to make a concerted effort to get back to "Alabama football" this year. What that means, at least under his regime, is power run the football, and pass when necessary. He made the conscious effort to go wide open spread offense last year, and when the chips were down, it failed him miserably. He won't abandon that scheme, but the run will be the predominant call, or my name ain't Percival P. Peabody. :)

Sark will be in the box eating boogers and watching

Jul 9, 2019, 10:04 AM [ in reply to Send Sark a 5th as a present the day of the game ]

Tua Turntheballova

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,926
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic