Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don Munson does an ok job with basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Don Munson does an ok job with basketball

Jan 31, 2018, 12:37 AM

I live out west so I had to listen to the first half using the radio feed on my phone while driving home. I’ve been critical of Munson’s ability in the past, but I must be honest and report that I actually enjoyed his call of this game. Granted, it helped we were winning, but he never once left me uninformed and was mostly smooth.

Of the three main sports, one would think basketball is the hardest to do play by play for due to the speed of the game. However, in my opinion it appears to be the one he is best at.

He obviously loves Clemson and has improved at his craft. Good for him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don Munson does an ok job with basketball

Jan 31, 2018, 12:43 AM

We can do better than “ok” in broadcasting! Jim Philips in his prime would put “Dandy” Don to shame! DRad needs to hear directly from supporters and fans who want a better voice for Tiger sports. I tolerate Munson because I seemingly have no choice, but there won’t a change unless enough fans make their voices heard.

Go Tigers!

Jan 31, 2018, 1:41 AM

Should've kept Tony Castricone. Univ of Washington replaced their legend with Tony.

He's a pro.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His Keith Jackson homage....

Jan 31, 2018, 1:39 AM

Did he open with "yippee we get to watch Clemson play ball" ?

He started that mess when Keith died a few weeks ago. Once was a nice gesture. Every game it's silly the way he does it. And I like him...

Jan 31, 2018, 3:21 AM

Respectfully disagree. Clemson deserves better than an “ok” voice of Clemson athletics. But hey, difference of opinion makes the world go around.

Jan 31, 2018, 3:23 AM

Not sure why all the hate or maybe non support of Don. I rather enjoy his call on all 3 sports. Granted no one is going to replace Phillips, and I know squat about broadcasting but I do enjoy his enthusiasm for Clemson.

To me he calls it like most of the Clemson fans I know.... from the heart. I like him. Oh well, jmho

Would like to know what’s the reason why his detractors feel the way they do. What makes him so bad? His love for Clemson?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2018, 3:46 AM

I love Clemson too, but it doesn’t make me qualified to be the voice of Clemson athletics. In my opinion, and only my opinion, he’s not good. He frequently gets players wrong. His voice is a bit on the annoying side. He at times disagrees with the color analysts not named Tim Bourret. At the end of the day, he isn’t going anywhere, but I still can voice my displeasure. Just a difference of opinion.

Not everybody is a cook either........

Jan 31, 2018, 8:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Don Munson does an ok job with basketball ]

but they know when the food is bad.

You don't have to be a broadcast expert and it is a lot of personal preference.

for me:
-he tries too hard for a perfect call (the good ones just flow), hard to explain
-cheesy.....real cheesy
-just not a good sounding voice for my ears
-this probably goes more toward his radio show days, but he was such a homer that he had trouble discussing any other team without bias. I get it, the voice of the tigers should be on the homer side of things, but IMO you have to be able to set aside bias at times and i don't think he does that very well.

Jan 31, 2018, 7:48 AM

I don’t understand venom toward Munson. I think he loves Clemson and does a good job.

BTW, there’s a bit of revisionist history about Jim Phillips. Some paint him as the Ohio-born Southern version of Vince Scully. Far from the truth.

Listen to Munson’s call of the Natty.

Jan 31, 2018, 9:10 AM

I will be glad to offer two examples which define understanding how one comes across during a broadcast. I wish every Tiger fan would pay attention because in misprouncing two key, but simple words, Munson loses credibility as a “professional” and likely isn’t aware because of his ego.

He doesn’t pronounce Carolina properly at virtually every turn, leaving out the letters RO which makes him sound like a “bubba” to anyone with knowledge of either state and he is a native of North Carolina!

Second his use of “this safertoon” instead of afternoon is rather grating after hearing over and over in the same broadcast! Apparently nobody with any authority bothers to proof his work! Please give me Pete Yanity minus “Orange in the endzone” any day! He was so much better with polish and an appreciation of what he described. Just because he called contests fairly made him expendable to some fans, but his work speaks for itself. Tony last year was also far better than Munson.

Admittedly “Dandy Don” tries hard, but he falls flat compared to those who proceeded him and Clemson needs to make “Best is the Standard” true for broadcasting as well.

Go Tigers!

I don't like hearing him on the radio......

Jan 31, 2018, 8:02 AM

jmo

and i haven't liked him since I first heard him as his own radio show host from 2-3pm on what was then 104.9.........back in the 07-09ish timeframe?.....Just not professional sounding. Personally I think Clemson can do better. He's cheesy and sounds like an amateur.

I'm sure he's probably a nice guy, but I'm not a fan of his work for my school.

Pretty annoying and corny in my opinion, but doesn’t ruin

Jan 31, 2018, 8:12 AM

A game for me. He basically brings nothing to the table. Basically the guy that buys booze for parties, doesn’t steal any chicks that you want to take home, and is always there but if he wasn’t nobody would notice.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Munson grades a D-

Jan 31, 2018, 8:12 AM

If best is our standard, we really miss the mark here.

And yet, your grade is 84%

Jan 31, 2018, 8:28 AM

Looks like Don isn't the only one with room for improvement.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

I stand with Don.***

Jan 31, 2018, 8:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

We need Wes Durham***

Jan 31, 2018, 9:01 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, I think he does pretty well

Jan 31, 2018, 9:09 AM

he also has improved on foosball games

he can stay

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Jan 31, 2018, 9:13 AM

I would have to disagree, I feel like basketball would be the easiest of the sports to call play by play for, just because of the fluidity of the sport. There is always something going on with regards to the game for you to talk about, but it's not too fast paced to keep up.

With football and baseball you have huddles and time between pitches and delays, etc. where you basically have to fill dead air.

That said, Munson doesn't have the "voice" for radio, is extremely corny, and his "YIPPEE" nonsense is atrocious. Not to mention I've heard he is pretty arrogant in real life, unless you're a higher up person of course.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2018, 9:36 AM

Said no Juan ever!!

Jan 31, 2018, 11:32 AM

I'm kind of partial to his partner personally. There was nothing better than listening to Mr. Phillips and Tim call a game. I sure will miss him next year.

Jan 31, 2018, 12:37 PM

It always cracks me up when he disagrees with people who actually know what they are talking about. Don should be teaching middle school or high school history, we need to actually get guys in the booth who can tell you what's going on without sounding like a sci-fi nerd

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic