Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don Munson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Don Munson

Nov 25, 2014, 9:22 AM

I heard a complete radio broadcast of the Ga State game last Saturday. In spite of all the negative stuff I've read here, I thought Don Munson did a pretty good job, at least as good as Yanity. His voice is a little "thin", but all in all I feel like he did a good job.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don Munson

Nov 25, 2014, 9:29 AM

HE's gotten a lot better since the first few broadcasts. Still has a ways to go but he's getting there

He's just not easy to listen to IMO - talks through........

Nov 25, 2014, 9:31 AM

his nose too much. On the other hand, to be fair, he does need some time to learn how to be a play-by-play football announcer. Hopefully, he'll make progress and be okay.

A lot of bandwagon complainers on here.

Nov 25, 2014, 9:34 AM

He's not that bad.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

He was at the beginning of the season. He was no where near

Nov 25, 2014, 9:42 AM

where yanity was and many say yanity was much easier to listen to and his broadcasts were smoother but I guess that's a matter of opinion. I think a lot has to do with how Munson got the job over yanity even though he's not as good. Yanity was done wrong and that's why will Merritt quit as well people don't like him because he seemingly brown nosed and weaseled his way into the job getting rid of a guy who had been doing it for years without any hiccups. Personally I don't care because I only listen to the broadcasts after the game for the post game in traffic but yanity was better than munson just from listening to those but again it's a matter of opinion. The fact of the matter is there will be people who dislike Munson for the remainder of his time here just because of how all of this was handled.

Re: He was at the beginning of the season. He was no where near

Nov 25, 2014, 9:47 AM

I agree... I was actually one of the ones posting negatively about Munson... but what it really was is I grew up with Pete and feel he was done wrong and for no reason..

It just makes it hard to like or respect Munson especially since he is not better. Oh well though. It's water under a bridge now...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He was at the beginning of the season. He was no where near

Nov 25, 2014, 10:31 AM

I agree...didn't like how all that went down just to end up with Munson. Then what baffles me more is what a quality guy they got for b ball. Tony C is very easy to listen to. Munson....no

"Grew up with Pete"...

Nov 27, 2014, 9:17 PM [ in reply to Re: He was at the beginning of the season. He was no where near ]

Now I really feel old.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A lot of bandwagon complainers on here.

Nov 25, 2014, 11:50 AM [ in reply to A lot of bandwagon complainers on here. ]

Not a bandwagon complainer. I will lead the charge on this one.

He is terrible. Literally the worst broadcaster of all time. Add to the fact that he is a creepy, weird, jocksniffer and this is what you get. A lot of people just don't listen anymore.

I would rather Philpot call the games. I would rather the new basketball guy call the games. Anyone else. Please put this dog down.

Must of Improved from Game 1 & His voice is the main issue

Nov 25, 2014, 10:31 AM

he just does not have a good play by play voice

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2014, 10:35 AM

I thought his first name was "Coach"?

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2014, 9:53 PM

No, it's "Inside."

Seems to do a good job. Just wish he would give down and

Nov 25, 2014, 11:16 AM

distance quicker after the play and give the score at change of each possession.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Biggest problem with the newbies and B level callers

Nov 25, 2014, 11:44 AM

is talking too much. They don't understand "less is more".

Examples: "Cole in the shotgun, takes the shotgun snap." (Do we really need to hear "shotgun" 99 times during the telecast? We all pretty much know he's in the shotgun. Tell us if it changes.)

"He's down at the 39 yard line, where's he's tackled..." (Just told us twice that he's tackled)

And on and on.

Paint a good picture but with as few strokes as possible. Don't verbiage the listeners to death.

Re: Biggest problem with the newbies and B level callers

Nov 25, 2014, 12:03 PM

You sound like what my father (Hal Garrett) would say if he were still with us. He called the Daniel High School games for 42 years and he always said he just "called it like he saw it."

No need to add anything to it. He like you, hated all the repetition. That was his look on life as well. Learn from your mistakes and move on.

I think maybe Munson is trying a little too hard, but I see promise with him. Personally I like him better than Yanity.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry to hear that he is gone

Nov 27, 2014, 7:42 PM

I"m sure he had other great lessons to teach. And doing the math, it seems he was there as the voice when I was going to school there in 76-78 (though I didn't play football)

He's not bad, but on the way home from the game Sat

Nov 25, 2014, 11:57 AM

I listened to the UCLA broadcast.

Ugh, that guy was awful. Called a td with as deadpan a voice as if he was giving the weather.

but then, I switched to Mizzou broadcast. Can't say it's very entertaining, but that guy gave more good details in real time than about anyone I have ever heard.
Told you about the alignment of off and def, then would tell about a flag during the play, gave distance of a play immediately, etc. Really good in terms of information for the listener.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He's not bad, but on the way home from the game Sat

Nov 25, 2014, 12:07 PM

I agree. He lets you know exactly where we are in the game. Calls the game accurately. Don't know if you remember Jim Phillips when he was alive, but you never knew what was going on in the game. He was all over the place with his play calls.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I listened to Jim Phillips every week for 30 years. I knew

Nov 27, 2014, 7:59 PM

exactly where we were, the down, the distance, the set, the play... everything. I could follow the Tigers up and down the field in my mind's throughout the entire game. He was The Voice of the Clemson Tigers, and no one has ever come close.

Which is one reason people have struggled with Munson

Nov 27, 2014, 9:41 PM

People got use to Phillips being the voice of the tigers for so long and are comparing Munson to him. People don't like change, especially when it comes from questionable dealings. Between those two things most people already had a negative opinion on Munson before he even made his first broadcast.

I will admit he was not good at the beginning of the season, he was nervous and trying way to hard. But I think he improved a lot over the season and is not that bad. Give him a few years and people will start being more positive about him. In this day and age someone like Munson is probably gonna be about as good as your going to get with radio really being obsolete and almost every game being on tv or Internet stream. And with all the ads, promotions, and commercials they have to do there is no way they can have a smooth broadcast.

Also, I never listened to Phillips as I'm too young but I've talked to lots of older guys that listened to him and they all have said Phillips was hard to follow, especially in his later years and that there were always complaints about his broadcast.

Nov 25, 2014, 12:02 PM

I think don has improved but to me he still sounds like he's talking out of his nose, all high pitched.

He's not that bad

Nov 25, 2014, 12:22 PM

but Tim Castistrone (?) is great with the basketball broadcasts

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Nov 27, 2014, 8:14 PM

I think he's improved from game one. My biggest gripe is that a lot of the plays he doesn't describe it to you live as it's happening...he just explains what just happened after the play is over.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And Rodney does a great job.

Nov 27, 2014, 9:11 PM

He is calm but sticks the point in right where needed. He has kept up with the game.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And Rodney does a great job.

Nov 27, 2014, 9:15 PM

I think Munson is a good baseball commentator

OMG...

Nov 27, 2014, 9:25 PM

listening to him do baseball, you would think he is announcing for the other team. He gets all excited when they make a big play or get a hit. He makes a mid outfield fly ball sound like it is a HR. He never has the count right. You can be watching the game and listening to him on the radio and see the play with your own eyes...and then you hear him and wonder what game is he watching. He giggles all during baseball and gets so off track, you have no idea what is going on.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic