Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dog Tag
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

Dog Tag

Feb 2, 2020, 11:59 PM

I got a call this morning from a local guy that I never met but he knew my dad's name, my mom's name and mine. After a conversation of a few minutes he told me the way he had found me was through my dad's obit. Dad died in April of last year. He finally told me that he was metal detecting and found my dad's dog tag from WWII. It seems the dog tag was on property that was in my family years ago and is a place that he quail hunted on quite a bit. Evidently he lost it when he was hunting at some point after his discharge. Dad was in the merchant marines and then in the USN. What's interesting is his dog tag was a US Navy Reserve tag. I didn't realize he was ever in the reserves. Regardless, it was quite a find and I'm excited to have it. I have no idea what year he would have lost it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dog Tag

Feb 3, 2020, 12:08 AM

cool story.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 3, 2020, 12:43 AM

Thanks for sharing that with us. Another post that makes people, like myself, who never served take pause and appreciate the lives we get to live.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 3, 2020, 12:59 AM

wonderful story and I am sure your dad treasured the dog tags. It is such simple pieces of metal which all veterans treasure more than their DD214. It is something we wore every day while in service.
Very nice! Thanks for his service

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic