Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Jeff Scott: Clemson's offense undergoing a spring cleaning
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

New Story: Jeff Scott: Clemson's offense undergoing a spring cleaning

Mar 24, 2015, 10:06 AM

Jeff Scott: Clemson's offense undergoing a spring cleaning

Spring is a time for fresh starts, and new offensive coordinator Jeff Scott says he and Tony Elliott have spent the past few months cleaning out the cobwebs and spring cleaning the Tigers' offensive playbook. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love it. This Offense was way to complex under CM and it

Mar 24, 2015, 10:15 AM

cost us

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

wow, the view of morris by a large

Mar 24, 2015, 10:20 AM

Portion of our fan basis couldn't be more off base and quite frankly disgusting. He resurrected this program.

Agreed I still really respect Morris for what he's done

Mar 24, 2015, 10:27 AM

He made our offense a national power from year one. Now some of that is because of the players we were able to bring in but that's all the balance of a great team. Good players and good coaches working together to win games.

The one and only thing you could knock Morris for was not changing up his game plan to fit Cole last year and getting away from the run when we were having success with it a few times. Other then that the Chad will go down as probably our best OC in decades.

Re: wow, the view of morris by a large

Mar 24, 2015, 10:59 AM [ in reply to wow, the view of morris by a large ]

Agreed. If not for Chad Morris and the offense he brought to Clemson, we likely aren't getting the amount of caliber athletes that we're getting these days. He came here and put the program back on the map.

Mar 24, 2015, 11:06 AM [ in reply to wow, the view of morris by a large ]

There's honestly a big difference between people's view of his resurrecting the program, and how he play called AFTER it was resurrected. Make sure you can distinguish it in comments.

Sometimes, it was a bit too complex (or could get that way). He would tailor his offense as a whole plan, not quite necessarily to fit the individual players.

Examples:
Cole Stoudt doing run and pass plays that more matched Watson or even Tajh's style of play. He didn't adjust game plan to fit the QB he had in. Quite well shown in the bowl game vs OK, when a game plan was tailored around Cole's strengths.

Tajh Boyd being thrown a ball in the end-zone (that was intercepted or missed every time tried) by....Sammy Watkins?? Sammy was never really a WR that doubled as a QB (like let's say Deon Cain should be...or even hate to say this but Pharoah Cooper)...why was Morris calling plays like that if the athlete's weren't equipped to execute it flawlessly. I wouldn't say lofting it way in the air says Sammy had any great mechanics of a QB to have even been trying that one.

1st down run up the middle's that hardly ever go anywhere ring a bell? Might be nice to have a good proven power back first, you'd think...otherwise, maybe mix it up a bit so they all don't drive after drive fall flat.

you sir are correct!***

Mar 24, 2015, 9:11 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 24, 2015, 12:45 PM [ in reply to wow, the view of morris by a large ]

I think that you're wrong, #1 by disrespecting others opinions as if tho you don't believe they should have one different than your own. #2 Dabo Swinney is the one that has resurrected our program with his ideas and what he wanted for Clemson under his leadership. Under Dabo's leadership, he searched for a coach that run something close to the type of offensive system he wanted to run at Clemson. He found what he was searching for in a rookie college OC Chad Morris. Dabo put his new HC position, and most likely his college coaching career on the line, and went out and convinced Coach Morris that Clemson is where he should be bc his system style is what he wanted for Clemson. 95% of Tiger nation hated the hire, but at the same time they loved the hire bc they were absolutely sure that the hire would get rid of the AD TDP coaching hire they hated worst than Chad Morris, and that was Dabo himself. Then Dabo saw that Steele wasn't going to be what he wanted, and he struck at the right time when he saw what was happening with BV at Oklahoma and the Stoop brothers. He lured BV to Clemson, and now all is right at Clemson bc we are winning like we haven't done in forever other than a NC. Only one man resurrected our FB program, and that man is Dabo Swinney, give Dabo the credit he more than deserves. Yes Morris has helped, and yes BV has done his part also. But never forget that coach Morris and coach Venables didn't just one day decided they would come and walk into Clemson and be a FB coach, bc they didn't. Dabo Swinney went to them and convinced them what a great place Clemson would be for them. He didn't lie to them, bc Clemson has been great for both of them and their careers, I'm betting both of them are still very glad that they came into Dabo's vision for our Clemson FB program. After watching 25 years of heart breaking Clemson FB, I'll never forget who resurrected our program, and it wasn't Chad Morris or Brent Venables. They are who Dabo invited to come in and help him get our program headed in the right direction. A month after CM left, Dabo took Clemson into the Russell Athletic Bowl and destroyed an Oklahoma team we weren't given much of a chance in winning, 40/6!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you for saying

Mar 24, 2015, 1:40 PM

what I feel. If not this year, then next year we WILL be saying, Chad who?

and you too are correct... I was called a coot for making

Mar 24, 2015, 9:13 PM [ in reply to Re: wow, the view of morris by a large ]

Such points about Morris.

Mar 25, 2015, 12:29 AM [ in reply to Re: wow, the view of morris by a large ]

We were in the driver seat toward a NC a couple of years and let off the pedal with mental mistakes at cruicial times during important and big games. We were there and couldn't finish as a team. I think we have all the piece in place(coaches and players alike) to enhance our opportunity for a strong run in the next few years.

No more than giving the brush and paint credit for the art.

Mar 24, 2015, 12:48 PM [ in reply to wow, the view of morris by a large ]

Dabo is the artist.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Intellectual analogy. New insight.... +1.***

Mar 24, 2015, 3:30 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Boyd and Watson had little trouble with it

Mar 24, 2015, 10:42 AM [ in reply to I love it. This Offense was way to complex under CM and it ]

I wouldn't say it was TOO complex. Complex, maybe. But only the youngest guys had trouble with it. With time, practice, and experience it worked pretty well.

Remember Boyd in his first year

Mar 24, 2015, 11:09 AM

Did have trouble with the offense. Going into that fall we were unsure of the QB because Boyd was having a tough time picking up Morris' system and the fast pace. He got it down fairly well but we still saw times where Boyd seemed to get lost for a few plays. And how many times did Morris have to say he was going back and dumbing down the offense in the middle of the season. Not saying it was/is a bad system but it does seem to be fairly complex. Watson seems to have a better grasp of it partly because it is what he ran in HS but we really didn't see a large enough sample size of Watson running the O last season to be able to compare his ability in terms of understanding a offense to Boyd's.

I def thinking a look into what can be changed for the better offensively is a good idea by the coaching staff and will pay off in the long run this season and moving forward in the future.

Right. Younger guys may take a little extra time. So?***

Mar 24, 2015, 11:23 AM

Re: I love it. This Offense was way to complex under CM and it

Mar 24, 2015, 11:34 AM [ in reply to I love it. This Offense was way to complex under CM and it ]

I think that we all saw that some plays we were trying to run during the season looked of mass confusion. I think that some will agree, and most won't and that's human nature. But some coaches sometime forget that the max time they will have with the same players are 3 to 4 years max. And bc of the talent level from one player to the next, and the ability from one player to the next to process things. The plays where there are to many different things that has to happen with perfect timing of each player for the play to work as planed. There just isn't enough time to practice that ONE play to work, and with the actual in game speed, that play will leave everyone scratching their heads wondering what the fk was that bc it looked like mass confusion. I think that Jeff and Tony are on the right track by stripping plays down and making them easier to process with the short amount of time just to practice one play. This will make it that much easier even for the new guys to keep the plays clicking without confusion by anyone. When a player graduates or moves on to the NFL early, that creates a huge breakdown into those difficult plays that weren't perfect even before we lost a few 1st team guys through natural attrition of graduation. I think and I really hope that Tony and Jeff are what we needed to jump into the next level that our recruiting is getting us ready for. Gooooo Tigerssss!!!

Mar 24, 2015, 12:46 PM [ in reply to I love it. This Offense was way to complex under CM and it ]

SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH

In a sense, I agree.

Mar 24, 2015, 1:00 PM [ in reply to I love it. This Offense was way to complex under CM and it ]

It's a waste of time to run a play that isn't productive. We also saw many plays where Tajh couldn't find the WRs. He seemed to pick out his receiver before the play developed over most of his career. That's because half the time we only had two WRs on the field who knew where they were supposed to be.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In a sense, I agree.

Mar 25, 2015, 7:15 AM

really. smfh

Mar 24, 2015, 2:16 PM [ in reply to I love it. This Offense was way to complex under CM and it ]

I could not disagree with you more. This offense had zero identity until Chad took over it. More points and yards in those 5 seasons of installation. The only problem Chad had was the ability to adjust on the fly and that was only last year with a ton of injuries and two different style QBs. I am no mathmatician, but 43 wins with talent some will say wasn't that impressive tells me that Chad Morris did his job on the offensive side.

Mar 24, 2015, 2:20 PM

I really like it when that brown leather thingy gets across the goal line. I noticed that we didn't quite do it enough last year!!!!!

Mar 25, 2015, 12:39 AM [ in reply to Re: I love it. This Offense was way to complex under CM and it ]

That won't be a problem as much now. We have two guys that can work the ground and the air together at the same time. On The Fly. Makes life a little Simple on the offensive side of the ball.

Is it me or is this first time mention of Maverick Morris

Mar 24, 2015, 10:43 AM

this spring. I don't remember reading anything about him so far. Good to hear he might be a part of the core 8 or whatever.

Brad Scott offense 2.0 ?

Mar 24, 2015, 10:46 AM

Worked well at fsu with fsu talent.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Less QB draws/powers, more shovel sweeps

Mar 24, 2015, 11:00 AM

I really like what the Co-Ocs are doing. We needed fresh ideas.

So the short of it is:

Mar 24, 2015, 11:04 AM

Lets look at our play book what worked what didn't. Ok maybe 30% we need to put on back burner. What can our personeel handle and do well with? Let's concentrate on that 70%. Speed it up boys, lets run our opposition into the ground. And oh BTW, we have 8 young studs on the O-Line who have come to play.

Sounds good to me.

Re: Less QB draws/powers, more shovel sweeps

Mar 24, 2015, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Less QB draws/powers, more shovel sweeps ]

As many play makers as we have on the offense it really doesn't make any sense to me to be asking the QB to take the blunt of the runs. We can achieve just as much success if not more by letting another player take a wild cat snap or something similar and running the draw while not risking our QB's health. Deshuan only needs to be running to escape or when the D is giving away yardage he can easily pickup on the outside, but no running up the middle where he can risk getting rolled up on by a lineman. I think we saw the perfect example of what we can do without a ton of QB runs in the SCAR and OU games.

We still need to run some read option

Mar 24, 2015, 11:19 AM

But I agree the power plays up the middle and excessive QB runs needs to go in favor of our other stud athletes. I still for the life of me cannot understand all the run calls for a pocket passer in Cole. Just dumb.

Ax Oklahoma & see what they think about our faster tempo &

Mar 24, 2015, 11:32 AM

fewer O plays! LOL, and GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TE called one helluva game

Mar 24, 2015, 11:35 AM

hid Coles weaknesses and emphasized his strengths. Something Morris couldnt do or refused to do.

Does this mean the countdown can start to the

Mar 24, 2015, 11:38 AM

long awaited return of the "Bubble Screen"???.........:~)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does this mean the countdown can start to the

Mar 24, 2015, 11:45 AM

You will still see some bubble screens, it's not a bad play but over and over I don't like, I like what he said myself the simpler you make the o offense the faster you can run plays, the more plays you get into a game ??

Mar 24, 2015, 2:24 PM

I believe 6-0 Clemson first play of the game vs. Oklahoma was a bubble screen....

Mar 24, 2015, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Does this mean the countdown can start to the ]

You will still see some bubble screens, it's not a bad play but over and over I don't like, I like what he said myself the simpler you make the o offense the faster you can run plays, the more plays you get into a game ??

That was there last year with CM/CS.

Mar 24, 2015, 2:26 PM [ in reply to Does this mean the countdown can start to the ]

nm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

This is how an MBA views our situation.

Mar 24, 2015, 12:54 PM

It's about opportunity cost.

If a play isn't productive then the time spent working, practicing and refining the play is wasted. That's time that should have been spent perfecting other plays.

It's also about the lost productivity when the game clock is running.

Yes! Complexity is over-rated. Execution is key ...

Mar 24, 2015, 1:23 PM

Probably 95% of the plays conceived by a great coach are really, really solid plays ... on paper.

None of that matters if the guys on the field can't execute the plays effectively.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly.

Mar 24, 2015, 2:26 PM [ in reply to This is how an MBA views our situation. ]

nm

Re: This is how an MBA views our situation.

Mar 24, 2015, 3:26 PM [ in reply to This is how an MBA views our situation. ]

Yes and no... From a strategic perspective, you have to differentiate yourself. I'm ok with stripping down some of the plays, but then you start getting predictable and repeatable for their defense to learn your tendencies and jump coverage.

For a young team, keep it simple and maximize the time you have to practice, but they better have some wrinkles.

Re: New Story: Jeff Scott: Clemson's offense undergoing a spring cleaning

Mar 24, 2015, 2:15 PM

I like what he said about kicking out those plays that just never worked. Tony and Jeff did great at calling the OK game and their work payed off. My only concern is how will they handle changing the gameplan on the fly when things go south and we find ourselves down at halftime.Or in a tight game such as the GA game last year, where just a few first downs could have given our defense a much needed breather in that abysmal second half of the Chad offensive play calls. For all the credit Chad gets from some on this board he also deserved the flak he got from not being capable or just to egotistical to change his gameplan during a game.
Go Tigers!!

Exactly.

Mar 24, 2015, 2:28 PM

nm

Re: Exactly.

Mar 24, 2015, 2:36 PM

When we as a team score more points than the folks we are playing, we usually win. When we don't score as many points as we would like, due to complexity of plays, younger players,etc.. and the other team scores more than we do, we usually lose. Just my thoughts,........ what do you think?

I'm OK with Chad leaving.

Mar 25, 2015, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Jeff Scott: Clemson's offense undergoing a spring cleaning ]

He helped us move in the direction we all want and that's all I've got to say about it.

They better have the statue of liberty in the playbook

Mar 24, 2015, 3:27 PM

that play rocks

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Roderick Byers

Mar 24, 2015, 9:09 PM

What is Roderick Byers doing these days? Listed as a 6' 3" TE he could lay someone on the ground. But is he really at OG? He seems to have disappeared.

A few words about Hunter Renfrow

Mar 24, 2015, 10:01 PM

I know this kid and his family. You will not find a better group of people anywhere! He was a QB in High School that ran a Triple option type offense. This kid is just a very gifted athlete with a knack for winning. He has heart, and will leave everything on the field. And he will "out-work" most.....if not all. Glad to know he is doing what I already knew he would.

I'll always credit Chad Morris for effecting the change

Mar 25, 2015, 6:29 AM

to our offense envisioned by Dabo Swinney.

And, as is true in many endeavors, when Morris departed, new leaders well-versed in his thinking have emerged who, hopefully, will fine-tune those changes to produce greater results.

True, Morris made mistakes, but mistakes often serve to sharpen focus. Our new leaders, therefore, have the ominous tasks of taking the good and bad and honing them into the better, while implementing their own ideas.

Thus, I have nothing but high praise for Chad Morris, a sincere thank you for his contributions and best wishes in his future endeavors.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2015, 7:03 AM

Uh - Chad copied Malzahn's offense, so we should give some credit to Gus I guess.

Anyway - IMO (only) CM changed how we approach offense - which was much needed from Bowden days. So let's just be thankful.

Mar 25, 2015, 3:19 PM

I like simpler because it definitely worked in Stoudt favor during the bowl game...

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic