Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does anyone remember when Bowden was fired/resigned. Some commentator basically said..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Does anyone remember when Bowden was fired/resigned. Some commentator basically said..

Apr 28, 2018, 12:04 PM

That Clemson had made a mistake letting Tommy Bowden go & that he had Clemson about as good as it could ever be or something similar to that..... It may have been on gameday I can't remember. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does anyone remember when Bowden was fired/resigned. Some commentator basically said..

Apr 28, 2018, 12:16 PM

Sounds familiar. If so, they were wrong. We are in good hands now. I appreciate what Bowden did, but we obviously reached a ceiling that he couldn't just through. CDS came to the job site with a new blueprint and the right tools on hand.

Re: Does anyone remember when Bowden was fired/resigned. Some commentator basically said..

Apr 28, 2018, 12:37 PM

Maybe this twit?

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/clemson-making-west-virginia-mistake-dabo-swinney/4051

Gregg Doyel

Apr 28, 2018, 12:54 PM

In 2002 a reporter named Gregg Doyel wrote an article called something like Clemson Football: Big Myth that was really terrible. That may be it.

Apr 28, 2018, 6:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Does anyone remember when Bowden was fired/resigned. Some commentator basically said.. ]

Good find

They should’ve known better.

Apr 28, 2018, 1:44 PM

Ford had already done it and to think that the right guy couldn’t do it again is foolish. We have the most supportive fan base in our conference along with FSU and we have always been good, though sometimes not great, on the recruiting trail. Ford showed us what the expectation should be. We have the largest and loudest stadium in the ACC for a reason. Hopefully we never have lowered expectations here again. We have been a really good program in the modern era of CFB. There’s no excuse for us not to field great football teams. Clemson football is not a myth. With the right leadership great football is a reality.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The perception is that Ford did it via cheating, in an era

Apr 28, 2018, 3:41 PM

when there were not the scholarship limits of today. Whether fair or not, that is the perception. It's one thing to win one national championship, as we did in 1981, but it's another thing to be an elite top tier program that consistently challenges for national championships like we are now. As much as Ford did for us, our program now is way ahead of what we had in the 80s.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: The perception is that Ford did it via cheating, in an era

Apr 28, 2018, 4:01 PM

Everything you say is true and I was not inferring that we should always have an elite program. Nobody remains elite forever. There are some programs that should perform well overall. We are one of them. We should always be a top 20 program. I’m not saying we should never have a year that we finish outside of the top twenty but our nearly two decade drought without a conference title or a double digit win season should never be tolerated here again. I know we are in rare air right now and I’m appreciating every moment of it. We won’t be here forever but what happened between Ford’s tenure and Dabo’s tenure should never happen here again.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That 20 year drought was

Apr 28, 2018, 4:42 PM

Caused by the firing of Ford and the splitting of the fan base. It took a long time for us Tigers to heal and come back together on the same page again.

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2018, 2:18 PM

No, I exactly remember. I've tried to find the video before. It was Chris Fowler on gameday. He went on blast for 5 minutes about Clemson and how we hadn't done anything in 30yrs, we needed to lower our expectations, etc. It was right after we fired Bowden. Tried to find it, because he called our winning national championship drive and wanted to remind him of it. No such luck.

Message was edited by: Tiger567

Apr 28, 2018, 3:35 PM

Thanks and I'm sure now that this is the one I was talking about! I thought it was Chris Fowler or possibly even Reece Davis but for some reason Fowler just kept Ringing a bell. I really wish I could find a LINK & watch that video again. Its Amazing how so many of these people have had to eat their words!! Thanks to all of you for all the help!!!!

Go Tigers, Keep Pounding, Beat Furman to Death & GOD Bless Clemson!!!! ??

If you were around some of our own "fans" said the

Apr 28, 2018, 4:27 PM

Same thing wanting to settle for excellence in academics but saying there was a ceiling for our football program and we should be happy where we were as a 9 win team. SMH. Thank God for Dabo and his vision to be excellent in all things like the ancient Greek concept of arete.

Go Tigers!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2018, 4:46 PM

This is similar to comments about " Watson is gone and you guys will fall back to mediocrity"... My response is always..."You have NO IDEA what is about to hit you right between the eyes"...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic