Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does anyone else miss the days of smaller conferences?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Does anyone else miss the days of smaller conferences?

Nov 15, 2015, 10:54 PM

8-10 team conferences; where everyone played everyone makes much more sense. These mega conferences bring together uncommon opponents, like Clemson vs. yankee team Syracuse who belongs in the Big East w/ BC, Pitt, etc. and has absolutely nothing in common with Clemson. Plus now you're required to endure a jackwagon like Jim Boeheim every year now. Greed is gonna kill college athletics.

Smaller regional members saved big bucks on travel especially for the non-revenue sports. Like the old Southwest conference which had seven Texas teams and Arky. ACC has a footprint nearly the entire eastern time zone. Thanks a lot, Swofford.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sort of. I miss the days before TV, thanks to ESPN, ran

Nov 15, 2015, 10:57 PM

college athletics.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Does anyone else miss the days of smaller conferences?

Nov 15, 2015, 11:08 PM

Yep should play everyone once in football and twice in hoops

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That you blame Swofford on this is stunning......

Nov 15, 2015, 11:10 PM

I don't think he is a great commish but he had no choice but to expand and 'save' Clemson. SEC would have liked nothing better than a weak, conference-less Clemson with not hope and no money. We make a ton more money now than we used to and the cost of travel it covered easily by TV contracts.

We expand and add Notre Dame or we might not have a team worth watching and no ACC.

Ole Swofford has done nothing but help us be #1 and possibly playing for NC.

Are you drinking?

I'm not drinking but thanks anyway Mama Swofford.

Nov 16, 2015, 6:03 AM

True that he 'did what he had to do" but adding teams in the NE, where pro sports is king, adds just a bunch more mediocre fanbase teams to the ACC. I guess I'll become a selllout like you and just count the money. Greed will kill college athletics.

Nov 15, 2015, 11:12 PM

Did you say Yankee team?? I know you're missing days gone by but just how long do you want to go back? Cmon man you're the stereotype that " Yankees" make fun of. Jeez

Teams in the NE do not support college athletics like..

Nov 16, 2015, 6:07 AM

southern schools. They're too busy rooting for the Sox or the Jets etc. I used the term yankee to describe an area geographically. Lighten up Francis.

Nov 16, 2015, 6:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Does anyone else miss the days of smaller conferences? ]

Is Yankee a derogatory term?

I'm offended***

Nov 16, 2015, 7:25 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2015, 12:19 AM

Yep, I certainly do. I wish we could re-do the entire thing into 3 divisions instead of the current 2 of FBS and FCS. Make eight 10 team conferences in the top division. Play a round robin and schedule the other 3 games any way you want against whoever you want. (could do eight 11 team conf with round round robin + two additional as well) Then the Conf champs go to an 8 team playoff. The only speculation would be in how to seed the 8 conf champs.

Yep. Amen. For that matter, I miss the pre-BCS era

Nov 16, 2015, 7:02 AM

and far fewer bowls.

It's all about the money.

Bread and circuses.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2015, 7:13 AM

Yeah, or a simple solution would be to have those traditional smaller conferences' champions play in the traditional bowl tie-ins, with the winners advancing...acc vs sec, such vs big 8, pac 8 vs big 10(?), big east(?) vs WHO KNOW lol...however you want to lay it out, I don't care, but I do miss the older ways...or just scrap the whole thing and realign regionally for divisions, and have the conferences "combine", then do the same as I said in the beginning. I like the way you think.

Nov 16, 2015, 7:14 AM

*swc...not *such lol

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic