Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does OK really think DW is a run-first one demensional QB?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,096

Does OK really think DW is a run-first one demensional QB?

Dec 30, 2015, 3:46 PM

All I've heard from reports all week is that Oklahoma believes that Deshaun can't throw and is always run-first in his mentality. They all say their game plan is to take away his run game and force him to throw it deep. Is this simply just guys talking, or is this really Oklahoma's game plan? Surely they have watched film and seen that Deshaun throws the best deep ball in the country... I have a hard time believing that this is their actual game plan...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does OK really think DW is a run-first one demensional QB?

Dec 30, 2015, 3:48 PM

I think DH said it best. The OU plan is to shut down our read option and make us throw. That would make defending us easier but still a massive task.

Dec 30, 2015, 3:49 PM

I think we're gonna see a lot of run blitz against us to start. It's on DW4 to see it and lob it over the blitz to an open receiver.

Dec 30, 2015, 3:51 PM

Good thing that's something that made him an all American.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Good Analysis. Either way I don't think OU will shut us down***

Dec 30, 2015, 3:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Does OK really think DW is a run-first one demensional QB? ]

Dec 30, 2015, 3:59 PM

They can think? Miracles do happen.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Again, the load is on Watson

Dec 30, 2015, 4:04 PM

He has show he can handle it. That said Williams was by far our best deep threat and by year end Cain was our best deep threat.

OK has a sound strategy. And a Tiger receiver will have to step up. Peake has been featured on slant routes not deep routes. Cain is forcing us to shift around the Offense at the wrong time. But Watson will again carry the team. And hopefully Gallman, Leggett, Peake and the D will have big games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2015, 4:07 PM

I'm keeping an eye out for leggett. Big 12 doesn't have a lot of pass catching TEs and I think he can slip past the LBs if they run blitz a lot..

Dec 30, 2015, 4:15 PM

I think the initial point made by one of OK's players (I don't recall who) is that DW is always looking for an opportunity to find a crease after his first read. That's fairly accurate, but it was taken as an insult by some here and quickly turned into the "run-first" thing. Some people look a little too hard for bulletin board material.

Dec 30, 2015, 4:31 PM

Hmmm. I've only seen and heard great respect for Watson's passing and running game. Every fanbase has a few people with more hubris than reason, but my guess is someone's just yanking your chain.

Dec 30, 2015, 4:42 PM

My assumption is that our game plan is similar to the one we used against Baylor. We commit to stopping the run and control the line of scrimmage while playing a single high safety to help with the deep ball. Our corners are capable of matching up in 1 on 1 scenarios as Jordan Thomas shut down Corey Coleman that day. We can also mix coverages and blitz packages to help.

And it's not about shutting down your offense, it's more about slowing it down. We've learned that in the big 12 with the amount of high powered offenses there are that a 3 and out is like a turnover. You'll score points but we'll need to hold you below your average and provide our offense have as many opportunities as possible with good field position.

I think it'll be a close game and fun to watch. Good luck tomorrow... but not too much luck.

Dec 30, 2015, 4:46 PM

You're right, gonna be a great game and whichever defense makes the most plays to slow down the opposing offense will likely win the game.

Dec 30, 2015, 4:33 PM

Well if they do they are in big trouble. Watson is the real deal and anyone who thinks differently is only fooling themselves. I may not like it but it is what it is.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,096
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic