Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does Georgia take a step back this year...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Does Georgia take a step back this year...

Jul 10, 2018, 1:05 PM

Or do they threaten Alabama and Auburn for the sec?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does Georgia take a step back this year...

Jul 10, 2018, 1:16 PM

with as weak as the SECLeast is they will probably win the East but they will not be the same team that played in the NC last year. I'd say they take a step back but no one will really notice until the bowl game or playoff game. There's no way to lose 30 players and still be where you were last year. Not with the most important players on both offense and defense leaving.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2018, 1:18 PM

Yes, Florida or Mizzou will win the East this year. Georgia will lose to LSU and Florida, watch.

Jul 10, 2018, 1:22 PM

Lost 2 LB’s, 2 RB’s, 1 WR, 1 OL to the draft. Don’t know who else left, but just that list makes me think they’ll be at least a little less than last year.

Mizzou?

Jul 10, 2018, 1:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Does Georgia take a step back this year... ]

Jul 10, 2018, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Does Georgia take a step back this year... ]

I was thinking LSU and/or Auburn. But I really don't see Florida or Missouri competing this year.

Don’t be fooled. Georgia wins the east.***

Jul 10, 2018, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Does Georgia take a step back this year... ]

Re: Don’t be fooled. Georgia wins the east.***

Jul 11, 2018, 10:47 AM

I definitely think they win the east, lol because how could any halfway decent team not win the east? I just dont think they will be as elite as some people think. I think they're a year or two out.

they have a good OL

Jul 10, 2018, 1:27 PM

and solid pieces back from last year's offense. Defense I think will be the biggest question mark for them. I'm thinking 9-3 with losses to Tennessee, LSU, and Auburn

Re: they have a good OL

Jul 10, 2018, 2:17 PM

I really don't think Tennessee can compete with them this year. If they struggle this year with the likes of Tennessee they ware going to struggle with USuC and Florida. That could be a 7-5 season. I just think the SECLeast isn't any good. I think USuC could win 9 games this year and think they deserve to be in the Playoffs. But 2019 will see both UGA and USuC at the bottom of the SECLeast with Vandy and Kentucky.

I'm not particularly high on Tennessee

Jul 10, 2018, 4:01 PM

but I think they will be more competitive this year. I think they could give UGA some trouble. If Pruitt can get his defense playing at the level he's done at FSU, UGA, and Bama then they'll play teams tough.

Re: they have a good OL

Jul 11, 2018, 7:33 AM [ in reply to Re: they have a good OL ]

Wait, did I read that right? You THINK they should be in the playoffs with 9 wins? LOL Please.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty sure he meant Coots will think they...

Jul 11, 2018, 7:47 PM

...deserve to be in the Playoffs with 9 wins. Read it again.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Jul 10, 2018, 1:44 PM

Georgia may well go undefeated and challenge Alabama for the SEC this year. They lost a lot to graduation but they have recruited well forever and now have a competent coaching staff to get the most from their players. I predict Georgia in the CFB playoffs, along with Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State. I predict Clemson winning it all, and the first ever 15-0 season. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2018, 2:30 PM

Agree. Georgia is loaded with talent and depth. The defense might take a small step back but they'll have more than enough on that side of the ball to run away with the East. The offense will not miss a beat.

Jul 10, 2018, 2:47 PM

Pretty much depends on how quickly the defense gets it together. Since Smart knows D, they will probably be very good before long. Definitely a tough team.

Jul 10, 2018, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Does Georgia take a step back this year... ]

I guess we'll see because I disagree.

I like UGA's OL but if you guys think you're not going to miss Chubb and Michel you're insane. Two seniors at that level, both 1st-round quality? (Chubb definitely would have been a first-rounder if not for medical concerns about his knee.) Sorry. You'll miss 'em. A lot.

I like Fromm but he's good, not great, and he's not going to like having Justin Fields breathing down his neck.

UGA does not have great WR's.

I think the O is more than a little clunky this year...and I think the D takes more than a "small" step back. I don't really like UGA's D-line and losing your entire LB corps...well, UGA's got a rebuilding job in its front seven, and I'm not wildly excited about UGA's DB's either.

If the SEC was any good I'd say UGA looks like an 8-9-win team in 2018 since so many key guys are gone; 2017 was a peak year and they missed that particular window. As it stands I think UGA does win 10 but I don't think they're a playoff team this year.

Jul 10, 2018, 3:35 PM

quozzel said:

I guess we'll see because I disagree.

I like UGA's OL but if you guys think you're not going to miss Chubb and Michel you're insane. Two seniors at that level, both 1st-round quality? (Chubb definitely would have been a first-rounder if not for medical concerns about his knee.) Sorry. You'll miss 'em. A lot.

I like Fromm but he's good, not great, and he's not going to like having Justin Fields breathing down his neck.

UGA does not have great WR's.

I think the O is more than a little clunky this year...and I think the D takes more than a "small" step back. I don't really like UGA's D-line and losing your entire LB corps...well, UGA's got a rebuilding job in its front seven, and I'm not wildly excited about UGA's DB's either.

If the SEC was any good I'd say UGA looks like an 8-9-win team in 2018 since so many key guys are gone; 2017 was a peak year and they missed that particular window. As it stands I think UGA does win 10 but I don't think they're a playoff team this year.

Fromm's numbers (21tds/5ints) won't be considered elite but he'd start at most schools and if not the coach is a nut. Fields will see PT this season with Chaney installing special packages to take advantage of his rare abilities. He's aware of who the starter is so no issues.

Of course we'll miss Chubb and Micheal experience-wise but Kirby's backfield is loaded and I'd dare say our WRs rank higher than clemson's returning starters.....as well as our TEs.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgia-football-passing-attack-efficient-jake-fromm-terry-godwin-mecole-hardman

i'll give you TE

Jul 10, 2018, 3:57 PM

Nauta is a beast, but to be honest I had to look up your WRs bc I didn't know anything about them. Hardman will be electric and hate we missed on him but his numbers weren't that special. He will do better this year though. Your only other returning WR with decent numbers are Godwin and he had 38 receptions.

I think by the end of the season we would have a better indication of who has the better WRs as most our guys outside of Hunter Renfrow has played behind the likes of Mike Williams (Chargers) Artavis Scott (Chargers), Deon Cain (Colts), and Ray Ray (Bills). Our guys playing behind NFL WR's means they didn't get much PT. Same can be said for your RBs playing behind guys like Chubb and Michel

Re: i'll give you TE

Jul 11, 2018, 9:20 AM

Nauta is a beast, but to be honest I had to look up your WRs bc I didn't know anything about them. Hardman will be electric and hate we missed on him but his numbers weren't that special. He will do better this year though. Your only other returning WR with decent numbers are Godwin and he had 38 receptions.

I think by the end of the season we would have a better indication of who has the better WRs as most our guys outside of Hunter Renfrow has played behind the likes of Mike Williams (Chargers) Artavis Scott (Chargers), Deon Cain (Colts), and Ray Ray (Bills). Our guys playing behind NFL WR's means they didn't get much PT. Same can be said for your RBs playing behind guys like Chubb and Michel

And our WRs never will because we're a run first offense. As in the above article.....Last season, Georgia’s passing game found success through efficiency, not pure yardage. And even with an increased focus on the passing game likely, efficiency will still be the name of the game for Georgia’s aerial attack.

Riley Ridley would be our third WR .....I think he studs out this season. So that gives Chaney Godwin, Hardman, and Ridley along with Nauta....a pretty formidable receiving corps.

sooooooooooooo

Jul 11, 2018, 10:36 AM

a run first team with a better WR group than Clemson? also the returning numbers don't support your claim that UGA has a better receiving corp. By seasons end we will know which is better...i'd go with the tried and true WRU if I were you though. I'm a poet didn't know it.

Jul 10, 2018, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Does Georgia take a step back this year... ]

Not sure what you mean by Chubb being 1st rounder if not for the knee injury. He was a first rounder. The Dawgs return plenty of experience at RB; Holyfield, Swift, Herrien and signed the no. 1 and no. 3 backs in the nation. I'm not suggesting those guys as a group are better than Chubb and Michel, but they'll prove to be among the best in the SEC and far and away better than anyone in the East. ESPN has Fromm 6th last year in total QB ratings. That suggests he's more than adequate. The O line returns 4 starters. The only question on the offense is in the receiving corps.

Jul 10, 2018, 9:44 PM

Nick Chubb most certainly was not a 1st rounder. You either have him confused with Bradley or Michel

Jul 11, 2018, 8:45 AM

I stand corrected. I confused him with Michel.

if georgia goes undefeated

Jul 10, 2018, 4:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Does Georgia take a step back this year... ]

what's it matter. they've proven they can't win a national championship up 27-0 @ HOME in Atlanta. lmao. I thought our loss was hard in 2015. haha, not hardly. UGA took the worst championship loss I have ever seen in my life. and it couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch of young men ;) I actually do mean that lol

Re: if georgia goes undefeated

Jul 10, 2018, 5:19 PM

Up 27-0? What are you talking about? Have another drink.

Jul 10, 2018, 2:43 PM

There is only about 15 teams in the FBS that are younger than UGA, with that being said UGA has the talent to play with anyone in the country but I don't believe they win games off of leadership like they did last year against ND or OU. I think they take a step back but they won't fall far because they'll benefit off of the SEC East being terrible as usual.

Jul 10, 2018, 2:57 PM

Or do they threaten Alabama and Auburn for the sec?

Defensively we may take a step back albeit a small one. Losing some starting experience but replacing them with overall better talent with the exception of LBer Roquan Smith. Offensively I don't think the Dawgs will miss a beat even without Chubb and Micheal. We are set at QB and deep at RB, TE and WR. Kirby's returning 4 of 5 starters on the OL with multiple options for Pittman. Ga will have a true two-deep on the OL for the first time in forever.....stacked and loaded. Steele ranks them #2 nationally. This group should be elite by season's end. Special teams will be solid.

247Sports take: Georgia is our preseason pick to win the SEC East and battle Alabama for a spot in the final four. There's a good chance both teams are back in the Playoff if they enter that final game at 12-0 (and they're favored to do so).

* Kirby's recruited fifteen 5-stars the last three cycles. Thirteen of them on the offensive side of the ball.

* Thirty nine 4-stars were added as well. Throw in 5-Star WR Godwin from the 2015 class (Richt/Smart) along with another eleven 4-stars and our roster looks like this...

16- 5-stars
50- 4-Stars

That's Bama-like roster building/management.

Should be fun.....for years to come. Go Dawgs!

If UGA and Bama meet in the SECCG, the loser is out

Jul 10, 2018, 3:30 PM

of the playoffs...period

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2018, 4:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Does Georgia take a step back this year... ]

BEST MONEY CAN BUY. ALMOST.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2018, 3:02 PM

Let's be honest here they'll make the SEC championship yet again because they play in the SEC Least. As far as beating Bama, I seriously doubt it, I don't think Fromm is Elite enough to compete with the Bama D.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2018, 3:13 PM

Let's be honest here they'll make the SEC championship yet again because they play in the SEC Least. As far as beating Bama, I seriously doubt it, I don't think Fromm is Elite enough to compete with the Bama D.

You tigers are quick to dish out the grief on the SEC East but the ACC as a whole is joke. With FSU down these last 3 years (like Fla/Tenn) clemson has little to no competition to reach the ACC title game....and no real challenger in the coastal division sans.........Miami?

Jul 10, 2018, 3:28 PM

I'm not sure I disagree with you. With Florida State down, the ACC isn't very strong, though Miami is coming on. The point is it's very likely as strong as the SEC East. The reason there is such focus on this site about the weakness of the SEC East is all the garbage we have to listen to about how "great the SEC is!" Truth is, the SEC has 2, or maybe 3, great teams. Up until the last year or so, the ACC had 2 great teams. That doesn't equate to the SEC being the "be all, end all Conference" and the ACC being the "doormat Conference." On any given day, the "average ACC team " can beat "the average SEC team." Yet Alabama and Georgia can beat everybody in the ACC on any given day "except Clemson and Florida State. But Clemson and Florida State can beat everybody in the SEC on any given day except Alabama and Georgia. And both Conferences are better than the PAC 12 and BIGs! Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Says the dude that gets to play Vandy, Tenn, SCAR, and

Jul 10, 2018, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Does Georgia take a step back this year... ]

Kentucky every year.

Oh yeah, Florida has really been tearing it up too ...lol

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even when Florida was backing into the SECCG, the "down" FSU

Jul 10, 2018, 3:50 PM

team waxed them

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Door

Jul 10, 2018, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Does Georgia take a step back this year... ]

is over there.

Please excuse me while I report you and ignore you.

Don't forget you are a visitor on a rival's board.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jul 10, 2018, 9:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Does Georgia take a step back this year... ]

For several years Clemson, Bama, tOSU, and to some extent OU have had little competition in conference. That is what happens when you are an elite team. UGA would be on that list but so far they've only been relevant for a single season.

Supermutts...just like coots .....hate facts, but love to

Jul 10, 2018, 9:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Does Georgia take a step back this year... ]

talk in the abstract...

ESPN Football Power Index - 2018
The Football Power Index (FPI) is a measure of team strength that is meant to be the best predictor of a team's performance going forward for the rest of the season. FPI represents how many points above or below average a team is. Projected results are based on 10,000 simulations of the rest of the season using FPI, results to date, and the remaining schedule. Ratings and projections update daily.
Through:
Football Power IndexTeam Efficiencies
2018 Football Power Index
RK TEAM W-L PROJ W-L WIN OUT% CONF WIN% REM SOS RK FPI
1 Clemson, ACC 0-0 11.4 - 1.4 20.7 69.2 15 25.8
2 Alabama, SEC 0-0 10.8 - 1.8 10.0 36.3 28 23.5
3 Georgia, SEC 0-0 10.9 - 1.8 10.1 41.5 50 23.5
4 OSU, Big Ten 0-0 10.4 - 2.0 6.5 30.0 41 22.7
5 Washington, Pac-12 0-0 10.6 - 2.1 7.3 52.4 45 22.6
6 Notre Dame, FBS Indep. 0-0 9.9 - 2.1 8.3 -- 20 21.7
7 Auburn, SEC 0-0 9.1 - 3.2 0.7 11.5 30 20.4
8 Oklahoma, Big 12 0-0 10.5 - 2.3 6.5 54.0 24 19.4
9 Penn State, Big Ten 0-0 9.5 - 2.7 2.2 14.4 32 19.2
10 Michigan State, Big Ten 0-0 9.6 - 2.7 2.3 14.9 22 19.2
11 Michigan, Big Ten 0-0 8.4 - 3.7 0.3 7.8 5 18.0
12 Wisconsin, Big Ten 0-0 9.7 - 2.9 1.3 24.5 65 17.8
13 Stanford, Pac-12 0-0 8.4 - 3.8 0.3 10.9 12 16.6
14 Miami, ACC 0-0 9.6 - 3.0 1.2 16.6 46 16.5
15 Miss St, SEC 0-0 8.4 - 3.7 0.2 3.1 31 15.1
16 Texas, Big 12 0-0 8.6 - 3.8 0.4 20.3 4 14.4
17 USC, Pac-12 0-0 8.4 - 4.2 0.1 21.8 13 14.4
18 FSU, ACC 0-0 7.3 - 4.8 0.0 3.7 2 13.4
19 Texas A&M, SEC 0-0 7.3 - 4.7 0.0 1.1 29 12.8
20 Oklahoma State, Big 12 0-0 8.5 - 3.9 0.3 12.7 48 12.8
21 Florida, SEC 0-0 8.2 - 3.9 0.1 3.4 54 12.5
22 VT, ACC 0-0 8.1 - 4.1 0.1 4.8 56 11.9
23 Oregon, Pac-12 0-0 8.3 - 3.8 0.2 4.0 64 11.8
24 Iowa, Big Ten 0-0 8.2 - 4.1 0.1 6.2 47 11.1
25 LSU, SEC 0-0 6.1 - 5.9 0.0 0.3 3 10.4
26 Cal, Pac-12 0-0 7.7 - 4.4 0.1 3.0 51 10.3
27 TCU, Big 12 0-0 7.0 - 5.1 0.0 5.4 14 10.0
28 South Carolina, SEC 0-0 7.2 - 4.9 0.0 1.6 44 9.9

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

*** Sorry fellas, the cut and paste got out of whack, but the bottom line from the SEC's own network, ESPN, has us #1, BUT WOULD YOU LOOK AT THE STRENGTH OF SCHEDULES!!!

GEORGIA IS AT #50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Supermutts...just like coots .....hate facts, but love to

Jul 11, 2018, 9:26 AM

Spud® said:

talk in the abstract...

ESPN Football Power Index - 2018
The Football Power Index (FPI) is a measure of team strength that is meant to be the best predictor of a team's performance going forward for the rest of the season. FPI represents how many points above or below average a team is. Projected results are based on 10,000 simulations of the rest of the season using FPI, results to date, and the remaining schedule. Ratings and projections update daily.
Through:
Football Power IndexTeam Efficiencies
2018 Football Power Index
1 Clemson, ACC 0-0 11.4 - 1.4 20.7 69.2 15 25.8
2 Alabama, SEC 0-0 10.8 - 1.8 10.0 36.3 28 23.5
3 Georgia, SEC 0-0 10.9 - 1.8 10.1 41.5 50 23.5
4 OSU, Big Ten 0-0 10.4 - 2.0 6.5 30.0 41 22.7
5 Washington, Pac-12 0-0 10.6 - 2.1 7.3 52.4 45 22.6
6 Notre Dame, FBS Indep. 0-0 9.9 - 2.1 8.3 -- 20 21.7
7 Auburn, SEC 0-0 9.1 - 3.2 0.7 11.5 30 20.4
8 Oklahoma, Big 12 0-0 10.5 - 2.3 6.5 54.0 24 19.4
9 Penn State, Big Ten 0-0 9.5 - 2.7 2.2 14.4 32 19.2
10 Michigan State, Big Ten 0-0 9.6 - 2.7 2.3 14.9 22 19.2
11 Michigan, Big Ten 0-0 8.4 - 3.7 0.3 7.8 5 18.0
12 Wisconsin, Big Ten 0-0 9.7 - 2.9 1.3 24.5 65 17.8
13 Stanford, Pac-12 0-0 8.4 - 3.8 0.3 10.9 12 16.6
14 Miami, ACC 0-0 9.6 - 3.0 1.2 16.6 46 16.5
15 Miss St, SEC 0-0 8.4 - 3.7 0.2 3.1 31 15.1
16 Texas, Big 12 0-0 8.6 - 3.8 0.4 20.3 4 14.4
17 USC, Pac-12 0-0 8.4 - 4.2 0.1 21.8 13 14.4
18 FSU, ACC 0-0 7.3 - 4.8 0.0 3.7 2 13.4
19 Texas A&M, SEC 0-0 7.3 - 4.7 0.0 1.1 29 12.8
20 Oklahoma State, Big 12 0-0 8.5 - 3.9 0.3 12.7 48 12.8
21 Florida, SEC 0-0 8.2 - 3.9 0.1 3.4 54 12.5
22 VT, ACC 0-0 8.1 - 4.1 0.1 4.8 56 11.9
23 Oregon, Pac-12 0-0 8.3 - 3.8 0.2 4.0 64 11.8
24 Iowa, Big Ten 0-0 8.2 - 4.1 0.1 6.2 47 11.1
25 LSU, SEC 0-0 6.1 - 5.9 0.0 0.3 3 10.4
26 Cal, Pac-12 0-0 7.7 - 4.4 0.1 3.0 51 10.3
27 TCU, Big 12 0-0 7.0 - 5.1 0.0 5.4 14 10.0
28 South Carolina, SEC 0-0 7.2 - 4.9 0.0 1.6 44 9.9

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

*** Sorry fellas, the cut and paste got out of whack, but the bottom line from the SEC's own network, ESPN, has us #1, BUT WOULD YOU LOOK AT THE STRENGTH OF SCHEDULES!!!

GEORGIA IS AT #50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wt....f? Every post I make is backed by facts. What's your point?

Yes ... so they can step on Bentley's neck twice***

Jul 10, 2018, 3:30 PM

Jul 10, 2018, 3:56 PM

I hope they do. Catching them at home game 2 of the season I'm hoping that they will still be working out the kinks with all the replacement starters. Unfortunately they have been recruiting great for a lot of years so it will be more like reloading than replacing.

Jul 11, 2018, 9:21 AM

They're gonna beat y'all like a rented mule , lacky .

DB23

Yep, I think they will take a step back and throw deep on

Jul 10, 2018, 9:45 PM

the coots dwarf safety.

Jul 10, 2018, 10:01 PM

I honestly don’t care what they do as long as they win in Columbia. I doubt they will be as good as last year though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Georgia reloads***

Jul 11, 2018, 3:41 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they will be good...

Jul 11, 2018, 10:53 AM

I definitely think they win the secLEAST, but they lost a lot of great players. I see a good team that is recruiting really well and are at a high level, but I think they're still a couple years out. Last year was their best opportunity to win it. They will be back, just not this year. IMO

Jul 11, 2018, 6:52 PM

I think they’ll do pretty well in the sec east just because, well you know....however, I don’t think they’ll win the conference or make the playoff. I’ve seen more than one playoff prediction including bama, Georgia, Us, and Ohio State. Guarantee bama and the dawgs don’t both make it again.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic