Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does Clemson control its Own Destiny?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Does Clemson control its Own Destiny?

Oct 31, 2017, 8:15 PM

I think it is true that Clemson does, but I can't help but think about worse-case situations, so what do y'all think about the following scenario:

Clemson wins out:

Wins over ranked VT, Aub, ACC Champion (NC State win would likely knock them out of the top 25).
3 ranked wins and a conference championship = not too shabby.

Wisconsin wins out: Not a single ranked win so far and none remaining on their schedule except for conference championship, provided that they do win which would more than likely be over top 10 Ohio State.

Notre Dame actually has a stellar resume. 3 ranked wins and one loss to the overall number one. Also, two more potentially ranked wins on their schedule including Stanford and Miami. They're a shoo-in if they win out.

So if Alabama squeaks by UGA, Notre Dame wins out, and Wisconsin wins out, where does that leave Clemson?

Surely they can't leave out an undefeated conference champion in Wisconsin, right?

That leaves Alabama, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, and likely a conversation between Clemson and UGA provided that UGA's only is to Alabama.

What do y'all think? Even if this scenario may far-fetched, do we *really* control our own destiny?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lemme explain this in a very detailed way.

Oct 31, 2017, 8:19 PM

Yes.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Alls I know is TCU was #3 in the next to last poll in 2014,

Oct 31, 2017, 8:24 PM

pretty much met their spread on the road in their last game, and fell to 6 in the final. So I take nothing for granted when it comes to the subjectivity involved of having a committee choose. A lot of season left all around.

Winning the next game from here on out should do the trick, but in the end there will likely be a lot of worthy candidates and who knows.

'Leave No Doubt' is about to become a whole different thing down the stretch.

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ Bingo.... order is not set in stone

Oct 31, 2017, 8:25 PM

New wins by teams below you can change the ranking order.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: Alls I know is TCU was #3 in the next to last poll in 2014,

Oct 31, 2017, 8:32 PM [ in reply to Alls I know is TCU was #3 in the next to last poll in 2014, ]

I've said several times that we need to not only win, but win convincingly. It's time we showed what we've got instead of tip-toeing to wins. Come on, Tigers-- smoke the Wolfies!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe, maybe not

Oct 31, 2017, 8:24 PM

Better hope Oklahoma loses again. They've got a marquee out-of-conference win over OSU.

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: Maybe, maybe not

Oct 31, 2017, 8:31 PM

I should have Oklahoma in that as well, and now they're one loss is looking like a solid team.

This is why I'm very cautious in thinking that we are a shoo-in if we win out.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-college-football-predictions/

FiveThirtyEight has Clemson at worst, 90%+ in their chances of making it if they win out, but crazier things have happened.

Re: Does Clemson control its Own Destiny?

Oct 31, 2017, 8:25 PM

Somewhat depends on how UGA and Bama does against Auburn as well. If they crush them, that gives them an edge against us. UGA vs USuC as well.

And I think if the SEC championship is tight, O310 wins out but loses to Wisc and Wisc runs the table (especially if they spank O310, we get edged out, unless we start massacring teams. And I think that would be fair.

Re: Does Clemson control its Own Destiny?

Oct 31, 2017, 9:11 PM

The Tigers can do absolutely nothing about all the different scenarios that might take place. They can only control what clemson does ..........just win baby! And win big.

The committee can’t leave the defending champion out
With only one loss. Can they????

I still say margin of victory counts regardless of what the committee says.. WIN. BIG.

UGA. vs. Bama will be one super game. Bama by 12 points!

We will probably play a highly ranked team in ACC title game

Oct 31, 2017, 9:26 PM

... and winning will cement our play off spot.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Guys - don't buy the ESPN spin that both UGA and Bama

Oct 31, 2017, 9:26 PM

can make it into the playoffs with their scenario snot blowing. If both Bama and UGA are undefeated going into the SEC Championship game, then the CFPC will treat the SEC Championship game as a de facto playoff elimination game no matter who wins or how close the final score may be.

The CFPC is not going to put a team in the playoffs whose last game prior to the final rankings coming out was a loss to another team in the playoff - especially if it means excluding another Power 5 conference champion with the same record. Also consider that the CFPC has never put a team in the top 4 that lost the final weekend prior to the final committee rankings - it won't happen this year either no matter how much these ESPN "experts" desire it. You have to remember who sits on the CFPC - it ain't a bunch of ESPN exec's or SEC homers with a vested monetary interest in having two SEC teams in the playoffs.

Clemson just needs to win out and we are in regardless of what any other team does. We control our destiny; win and we are in...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^I agree with this^

Oct 31, 2017, 9:33 PM

The dream for the committee is to have conference champs from all over the country fight it out, not another SEC conference scrum.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll believe Bama out of the Top 4 only when I see it***

Oct 31, 2017, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Guys - don't buy the ESPN spin that both UGA and Bama ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic