Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
" Earth or Bust ! A Map For Aliens"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

" Earth or Bust ! A Map For Aliens"

Oct 25, 2020, 12:41 PM

I thought it might be a good time to change the topic for a short time so we can calm down after defeating Syracuse by only 25 points. I have personally hired a crew to restore the fallen sky to its proper place. Many of you can now forget your worries about the Tigers and put a smile back on your face. More about that later.

Some of you may have read the article in the most recent issue of National Geographic re the above subject title. Scientists want to help any lurking aliens out there by giving them directions on finding our Earth. Now, in the scheme of things in the universe. our earth is so small it doesn't even show up as the small end of a teeny-weeny needle.

Using the speed of light as 186,000 miles per second and the sun 93,000,000 miles from the Earth, light from the Sun to the Earth will take about 8.33 minutes. One light year equals about six trillion miles. The nearest star to Earth is Alpha Centauri, a distance of about 4.24 light years away. Consider the billions and billions of stars in the universe plus all of the other objects such as our Earth and planets, that's a lot of stuff out there and the size of our Earth becomes even more insignificant.

Unless there is intelligent life at some far distant point from us and they have developed a method for exceeding the speed of light, the idea of aliens targeting our planet seems beyond my grasp of space travel. How could they survive a trip of that length and all of the factors involved?

Well, it is an interesting topic and got me to thinking, if an alien does knock on my door here in Clemson I know he is going to be much older than me.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: " Earth or Bust ! A Map For Aliens"

Oct 25, 2020, 12:59 PM

We forget just how insignificant we are in the universal scheme of things. Nice of you to help bring us back down to earth.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Oct 25, 2020, 1:07 PM

There are many, many unanswered questions out there. None of us will live long enough to find the answers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2020, 1:05 PM

Joe, I recall that it was ‘leaked’ or otherwise revealed that we (the government or scientific community) had a policy to NOT broadcast or send any signals into space for fear that a superior alien race might possibly follow it to earth and colonize/subdue or destroy us.

I guess it’s still possible. . .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Oct 25, 2020, 1:14 PM

Have you read the recent documents that say that radio waves reach the earth every 16.5 days from outer space?

Interesting but very deep reading!

Oct 25, 2020, 4:58 PM [ in reply to Re: " Earth or Bust ! A Map For Aliens" ]

Joe, I recall that it was ‘leaked’ or otherwise revealed that we (the government or scientific community) had a policy to NOT broadcast or send any signals into space for fear that a superior alien race might possibly follow it to earth and colonize/subdue or destroy us.

I guess it’s still possible. . .

I am fearful that if aliens show up, they will scan the earth, discover Ohio and the life forms living there, and destroy the earth in disgust and fear that they might someday escape and infest the rest of the galaxy.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A few ideas you might want to think about:

Oct 25, 2020, 3:47 PM

1.) The effect of Time Dilation on the alien crew; in short, the closer one approaches the speed of light, the travel time for the alien crew approaches zero, therefore time is not an issue.

2.) We've cataloged thousands of stars and are continuing to do so every day; sufficiently advanced aliens, even very distant ones, surely have our sun already in their book.

3.) Why would aliens visit? Our planet with it's abundance of life would be a fantastic place to visit.

4.) Aliens needn't exceed the speed of light, not even close; you'd only need to get around 80% of it.

5.) Aliens might already be here, or have a near enough base, Alpha Centauri possibly, so distance is no big deal if that's true.

6.) Several NASA scientists believe any long term effects of interstellar travel on the crew could be easily mitigated.

7.) With the proper funding, and time, Earth tech could launch interstellar mission; so why couldn't aliens, far more advanced?

8.) "We (humans)are a space going race", imagine what other species, far in advance might have already done.

9.) The "distance problem" (the distance between stars is simply to far to overcome) is a type of urban.science myth....

Do you know how much energy it would take for a

Oct 25, 2020, 4:08 PM

"spaceship" to reach 80% of the speed of light?

You might want to do that calculation, right after calculating the mass of the spaceship and supplies needed to make the trip.

Re: Do you know how much energy it would take for a

Oct 25, 2020, 4:45 PM

Actually, you are being ‘constrained’ by thinking in terms of ‘our’ intellectual and technological capabilities (and limitations). As the old adage goes: “We don’t know what we don’t know.”

Back to my previous comment, this is probably what our scientists and other ‘deep thinkers’ are/were considering by fearing to draw attention or announce our existence to other superior alien beings.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Think where we might be in 500 years.....

Oct 25, 2020, 6:00 PM [ in reply to Do you know how much energy it would take for a ]

..and not where we are now....or an alien civilization 1000 years in advance of us. To the Wright Brothers, what do you think their likely response would have been to a hypothetical supersonic jet or a space shuttle? Probably that the energy or tech required would be either impossible or to great to overcome, which is what you're suggesting....:).

And to think- before 2020

Oct 25, 2020, 6:22 PM [ in reply to A few ideas you might want to think about: ]

I used to like science....... just sayln’

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic