Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do y'all remember when we used to DREAD Thursday Night Espn Games........
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 3,232

Do y'all remember when we used to DREAD Thursday Night Espn Games........

May 29, 2017, 4:39 AM

Don't get me wrong it doesn't matter what the date or time is, I'm gonna be just as excited to see our Clemson Tigers play football. But I have never been a big fan of Thursday or Friday Night Games and I think most of you will agree with me on this. I think Friday Nights should be left for High school football and I've disliked Thursday nights because It's during the week. Meaning I'll have to travel back home & get back extremely late leaving me exhausted at work the next morning. Or I'll have to use one of my vacation days which I try to save for family vacations. So like most of you I'm a fan of Clemson Football games played on Saturday because that's what we do in the south. We go to Church on Sunday, we work Monday-Friday & we watch Clemson football on Saturday.

With all that being said do y'all remember when us Clemson folks would just absolutely DREAD Thursday Night ESPN Games during the Bowden years? Every year when the schedule came out you could just about go on and mark it down as an "L". Tommy West was the head coach when Clemson played it's first Thursday Night ESPN Special on 11/12/98. A 24-21 lost to Georgia Tech in his next to last Game as coach. Then in came Bowden. Bowden had a dismal 1-7 record on Thursday Nights. His lone victory came @ N.C. State on 10/13/05 (2-7 if you count the Temple game in Charlotte in 2006 which was moved for some reason). Bowden was a really good person and he did some good things off the field but he had a lot of struggles when it came to actually winning football games, other than a 7-2 record against the COOTS. He annually lost to inferior opponents, couldn't win a division title and couldn't win on Thursday Nights. It's only fitting that his last game as head coach was on a Thursday Night, a miserable 12-7 defeat @ Wake Forest on 10/9/08. I remember being mad as fire on the ride home from Winston Salem that night. In hindsight it was a great game because we got Dabo out of it. Just think about what might or might not have happened if the Tigers would've won that night....... Would Bowden still be fired that following Monday? Would Dabo ever become the interim head coach? Would the Tigers win 70 games between 2011 & 2016? Would Clemson be the 2016 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS? Who knows but the story wouldn't probably be exactly the same.

West & Bowden have a combined 1-8 record on Thursdays. Swinney lost his first one in 2009 to Georgia Tech 30-27, But has since won 6 straight. His 6-1 mark brings Clemsons all-time record up to 7-9.

In closing I'd just like to say that I'm glad Clemson lost that miserable contest to Wake Forest on 10/9/08. That ugly game paved the way for Head Coach Dabo Swinney and the rest is History. And that I don't mind Thursday Night Games near as much as I once did. I don't feel like it's an automatic loss like I did during the Bowden years and Clemson currently holds a 6 game winning streak in them. Remember all this the next time a Thursday Night game seems to be a bother.

Go Tigers, Beat Kent State & GOD Bless Clemson!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something nice about taking care of business on Thursday

May 29, 2017, 6:06 AM

And just enjoying watching football stress free on Saturdays with the only real rooting interest is for whoever plays that team from 5 points.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There's something nice about taking care of business on Thursday

May 29, 2017, 7:12 AM

Thursday nights still suck and always will

Re: There's something nice about taking care of business on Thursday

May 29, 2017, 9:48 AM [ in reply to There's something nice about taking care of business on Thursday ]

I like "TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS" also!!

Re: Do y'all remember when we used to DREAD Thursday Night Espn Games........

May 29, 2017, 8:15 AM

Thursday nights are bad for two reasons. 1) They are on a week night and most have to work the next day and 2)it leaves a empty feeling on the following Saturday with no game to watch.

May 29, 2017, 10:09 AM

I like Thursday and Friday night AWAY games

May 29, 2017, 6:36 PM

Same. If the Friday away game is close, I'll consider going.

As long as we're doing what ifs, what if we beat BC in '07

May 29, 2017, 10:10 AM

I was at the Clemson/BC night game in November 2007.
And we've all agonized over the 20-17 loss, especially
after Aaron Kelly laid out at the 2 or 3 yard line and
the pass rolled off his finger tips. A win would have
put us in the ACC Championship game.

Would Tommy Bowden have been let go in October of 2008
if we had played in the ACCCG in 2007, especially if we
had won it? We also had beaten the coots the week after
BC on a last second FG for the 5th win in 6 years. TB
also had his contract redone after the season when he
threatened to go to Arkansas. Man, i can't believe all
that's been almost 10 years ago.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As long as we're doing what ifs, what if we beat BC in '07

May 29, 2017, 11:38 AM

I Remember both of those games very well. I missed the B.C. game, but I remember I was at a Texas Holdem tournament and the game was playing on a big screen TV. Needless to say I didn't pay very good attention to my cards. I was told several times to pay up my blind or it was my turn to deal. I thought that was finally the year we were gonna get over the hump, win the Atlantic Division, win 10 games, win the ACC and go to a BCS bowl. But we were let down again. As for the South Carolina game, it still remains the only game I've ever seen live in Cootlumbia. It was a thriller coming down to that last second FG and a Tiger Win! It is hard to believe that it's all been 10 years ago and its hard to imagine what may have happened if the Tigers had of won more of those games. Going back I don't think I'd change a thing. I think we turned out just fine..

Kelly's upper body was laying in the endzone when he dropped

May 29, 2017, 1:07 PM [ in reply to As long as we're doing what ifs, what if we beat BC in '07 ]

that pass.

And Bowden should never have had a chance to coach the '07 Coot game after pulling Reggie in '06. Still to this day you can't convince me otherwise that that isn't the stupidest move in Clemson football history.

Complete gameday coaching idiot.

Re: Kelly's upper body was laying in the endzone when he dropped

May 29, 2017, 4:16 PM

It certainly was a bonehead move! Me and my Dad have often joked that Papa Bowden would let Tommy beat him and FSU occasionally to help him keep his job.

May 29, 2017, 1:20 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Thursday night curse start under Hatfield. I seem to remember suffering threw those while a student.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

dangit "through"

May 29, 2017, 1:21 PM

I'll blame it on the trauma of remembering.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

I really hate the Wednesday night games and hope we never

May 29, 2017, 6:07 PM
Champions.jpg(256.5 K)

have another**** Although we did get Brent Venables, because of that game in Miami ( Wednesday,Jan,4,2012 ) --- just goes to show,The Good Lord,has a plan for everything & everybody**

TV MONEY $$$$$$$$$ will forever dictate the time & day we play football from now on !!!

GO TIGERS________ pulling for ya' to win every game, on days ending with "'Y""

Replies: 13
| visibility 3,232
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic