Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do folks still want an 8 team playoff?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Do folks still want an 8 team playoff?

Aug 25, 2019, 12:24 PM

Yeah. Florida would be there. Yuck

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do folks still want an 8 team playoff?

Aug 25, 2019, 12:32 PM

I really don't want a 2 loss team in there unless IFever were CU. I don't function well in IF world.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2019, 12:33 PM

The 8 team playoff is just another trophy for 10th place idea. Past CFP's have shown that really there are not but 3 really good teams per year anyway.

Bit early to say Florida would finish there

Aug 25, 2019, 12:38 PM

Also plenty of time for teams to clean stuff up and get better.

Only #10 over-ranked SEC teams***

Aug 25, 2019, 12:47 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2019, 12:48 PM

I wasnt aware that the playoff field is determined by preseason rankings.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

I saw nothing out of UF that frightens me.

Aug 25, 2019, 1:07 PM

As for 8 teams? no. not good for the player. Gee...Let's squeeze a little more out of the kid before he can make any real money. seriously?

You play em you should pay em.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2019, 1:11 PM

As long as the two best teams are included we never need more than 4 teams. The Championship is to identify the best team in the country, not the best 8!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2019, 1:18 PM

Nope. Fine like it is. reward excellence

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prior to the 2014 CFP selections, I was strongly in favor of

Aug 25, 2019, 1:23 PM

an eight team playoff. My reasoning was, with just four teams,all the talk was the SEC getting two of the teams, or maybe even three! And there were plenty of the SEC pumpers saying FSU shouldn't be in the playoff in 2014, even though they were defending champions and had won something like 27 straight!

Now, I am fine with the four team playoff, but there should be one improvement. It should be very difficult for a team to get in without winning their conference. A team that did not win their conference, should not get in over a conference champ that has the same number of losses.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Prior to the 2014 CFP selections, I was strongly in favor of

Aug 25, 2019, 1:49 PM

Ah but not all conferences are created equal. Some are so tough that being third in their conference is better than winning some real easy cream puff conference. - The Narrative

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Based on what i saw last night...

Aug 25, 2019, 1:29 PM

Florida in the CFP would be an easy first round win for somebody.

That team will have to improve exponentially just to be mediocre.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Aug 25, 2019, 1:33 PM

They would be a warm up game for someone, and that would be good bc of the break between November and the last of December or the 1st week of January....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

6... 5 power five champs... plus

Aug 25, 2019, 1:59 PM

1 at large for non power 5 team not named Notre Dunn

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: 6... 5 power five champs... plus

Aug 25, 2019, 2:04 PM

This is what I have said. And then 1sr week bye for 1 and 2

Re: 6... 5 power five champs... plus

Aug 25, 2019, 7:20 PM [ in reply to 6... 5 power five champs... plus ]

I have always liked 6. I know some people don't like byes, but I think the best teams during the regular season should get rewarded.

While they are figuring out what to do, the NCAA needs to do something to create parity. It will not hurt my feelings if they don't but the gap between us and Alabama compared to everybody else is growing. For the next couple of years they can go back to a 2 team playoff and it wouldn't make any difference.

Aug 25, 2019, 2:02 PM

At least 10 no less. I would like to see 16. All conference champions including group of 5 should have a shot plus 6 at large teams.

Aug 25, 2019, 2:18 PM

I'm probably the only one that is still in favor of 8 teams; and here is why.
First off: the playoff committee changes what the most important thing to them is every year.
Second: I think it's crazy how everyone loves the Cinderella team in basketball but just wants the "best" team in football.
I would love for Clemson to win every year but that won't happen. So some years I would like to cheer for a big underdog like Clemson used to be. When Clemson doesn't make it of course.
So this is the only way I could see the 8 team playoff working and pleasing most people.
1) All five conference champs would automatically be in. This way the conference titles would matter again and it would be no arguing about who should get the spots because win and you're in.
2) The sixth spot would go to the best group of five team ( That is a conference champ). This is where the Cinderella team comes in. Just like this team would get a new years six bowl now; they would instead get a playoff spot in the 8 team system.
3) The last two spots would go to at large teams. Yes in theory both spots could go to sec teams making everyone who isn't an sec fan's worst nightmare come true. However, I don't think it is likely but all conferences would have a team in. So it shouldn't matter as much.
4) All current new years six bowls would become playoff games. The first round would be four of them and the other two would be the semifinals. They could rotate them like they do now for which two are the semifinals.
I think this would be the best way to do the playoffs in my opinion. If they don't want to implement a system like this then they should at least give the group of five teams a championship game. The fcs has a 16 team playoff and that seems to work for them. The group of five teams have nothing to play for. People got mad at UCF for claiming they were national champs but what else were they going to do. They didn't get to play for anything. Go tigers!

Aug 25, 2019, 2:19 PM

Yes

No. The 4-team format should stay

Aug 25, 2019, 2:37 PM

...and I used to be in favor of expanding, but now, I think the 4-team CFP makes it very special & exclusive. Even if this means CU gets left out in years to come. Seems they've gotten it right so far. And sorry Herbie, but a 2-loss UGA should not have bumped a 12&0 N.Dame from last year's top 4.

Aug 25, 2019, 2:38 PM

I want a 6 team playoff...5 conference champs from the power 5 conferences and the highest rated non power 5 conference champion!!! Seed and play!!! That way every college football player in America in D1 has a shot at the title..:period...in essence it is a 12 team playoff because conference championship games serve as the de facto first round...

No, 4 is perfect. Don't water down the regular

Aug 25, 2019, 2:43 PM

season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2019, 3:19 PM

I do. It will get the nation more involved.

Aug 25, 2019, 4:46 PM

Yes...8 teams would be ideal. It would allow a non power 5 a chance to get in....think Boise State 10-12 years ago. Think NCAA basketball tourny every year. I agree typically 2 or 3 teams separate themselves each season...but it would make for a more exciting post season. My 2 cent!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. Better regular seasons and CCG weekends.

Aug 25, 2019, 5:56 PM

Ditch divisions, go with regular season champs, Power 5 champions get auto bid plus 3 at-large - no G5 guarantee. Replace CCG's with these 4 games, but a week later - 2nd Saturday in December. Losers matched up with last 4 out for NYC bowls and off to the semis for the winners. CCG's are a hodgepodge today. This cleans it up, and think of how not having divisions would open up our ACC schedule every year. 3 annual rivals plus every other team twice every four years.

The SEC, B1G, and PAC would all benefit from mixing up their regular season slates like this.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2019, 7:20 PM

Until they get it. Then 16, 32, 64 and include FCS

Yep****

Aug 25, 2019, 11:50 PM

Yes. But I'd pick the teams at the end of the year

Aug 25, 2019, 7:22 PM

Not after game #1.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2019, 7:44 PM

I hear the people who don't like Clemson or Bama wanting an 8 team playoff only. Everyone else is good with it.

I guess they figure like a boxer "they have a punchers chance if they can only get the opportunity"! Problem is: ONCE YOU EXPAND TO 8 IT WILL BE A #10 RANKED TEAM BEING LEFT OUT WHO EVERYONE THINKS COULD BEAT ANYBODY"! And so on and so forth!
Coming from an era of "voted on champions" to where we are now - 4 teams is plenty!

If you haven't earned enough respect by your play or by beating some good teams and making it into the top 4 you should not get an opportunity to make other teams play extra games. Which is all that would happen.
The flip side of it: "I Get"! Often a team isn't playing well at the beginning of the season; would whip anybody's arsenic by the end. But, to me you kind of spit in the face of the team that kept their stuff together all season! If we are being fair; be fair to everyone!

I hope they don't - but if the Clemson and Bama match up keeps happening I think you will see it. Plus, the group of 5 otherwise may as well just drop football! Because they would have no real shot of ever getting a championship(or to a championship playoff game).

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2019, 9:44 PM

As a fan, easily I would want an 8-team or even 16 team playoff.

Cut out the conference championship games and award the higher seed home-field advantage first round.

I want the variety. Give me the bigger playoff and start college football's version of march madness.

Last year it would've been this for an 8-team playoff (Week 15 rankings):

1. Alabama vs 8. UCF

2. Clemson vs 7. Michigan

3. Notre Dame vs 6. Ohio State

4. Oklahoma vs 5. Georgia

First two out: Washington (10-3) & Florida (9-3)

You're telling me you wouldn't be interested in Clemson vs Michigan? or want to tune in to other games? Pfff we'd all be jacked to see Michigan visit Death Valley!

Washington (Pac-10 Champs) would be left out but I'm not here to debate criteria to get in, just the fun matchups we would get

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If not for the sec bias, there would already be a 10 team

Aug 25, 2019, 10:19 PM

playoff. Conference championships leave 5 teams eligible and then have one at large team from outside the power 5. This would result in 6 teams and downplay the committee decision. Play to be in it! This would eliminate UCF's whining and allow them to play for the marbles while eliminating the committee's opportunity to put 2 over inflated sec teams into the playoff.

Probably makes too much sense to work.

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2019, 11:31 PM

Expansion seeds expansion

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic