Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Funny the way Spurrier....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Funny the way Spurrier....

May 3, 2013, 9:16 AM

...keeps talking about the players should be paid. Guess he means legally, so he doesn't have to worry about all the under the table crap he does now.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hey, if you cant follow the rules change them

May 3, 2013, 9:18 AM

sounds like a good plan.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: hey, if you cant follow the rules change them

May 3, 2013, 9:21 AM

Dabo is also in favor of this. Probably a good idea.

I agree that SCar players should be paid. Their degree sure

May 3, 2013, 9:22 AM

isn't worth anything.

Do any of them graduate?***

May 3, 2013, 9:34 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Do any of them graduate?***

May 3, 2013, 9:36 AM

Not a single one!

Dabo addressed this at a P&G he said

May 3, 2013, 9:35 AM [ in reply to I agree that SCar players should be paid. Their degree sure ]

"football is a year round game. A player has to train everyday and take different class loads so in the fall most take the minimum. During the off-season they are just as active in training, well the ones that want to succeed." "This hampers their ability to hold down a part-time job." I was against paying athletes but if you think about it if they have a little walking around money they may not get in as much trouble.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True- but it's not just about that

May 3, 2013, 11:02 AM

there is so much money involved now

hard to stomach that much cash and the players not getting a dime to send home, or to help out in other ways.

It will happen- in time.

agreed- how is this different than paid internships

May 3, 2013, 11:21 AM

or when I was in school I got paid minimum wage to help a professor with his research. I wasnt a professional I was just being paid for my effort and services. I think the tricky part and the thing that is holding this back is how it will be implemented such as:

1) What are the guidelines as to how the pay is set. What Universities can afford to pay its athletes varies drastically from school to school.From Duke football to Alabama to Furman. How do you set the payment to make it fair across the board? What about programs that are in the red or just barely in the black and cant afford to pay players at all? Are they just to operate at a disadvantage to the programs that can pay players? Also is it a set amount or by the hr?

2) The other thing is that if you open it up for football, inevitably you are going to have to open it up to all athletes,which would further the gap between the haves and have nots in the other sports as well. A team that actually could afford to pay players in the smaller sports would have a tremendous advantage.

They get free meals, housing and a 1000 monthly stipend

May 3, 2013, 11:35 AM

So I'd say they have plenty of "walking around money"

Who gets a 1000 monthly stipend? First I've heard of it.***

May 3, 2013, 12:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Problem being

May 3, 2013, 12:05 PM [ in reply to Dabo addressed this at a P&G he said ]

If you pay them, then you'll have to pay the womens rowing team the same amount.

Just not enough $$$

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

^^^^^POTD***

May 3, 2013, 11:37 AM [ in reply to I agree that SCar players should be paid. Their degree sure ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic