Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My reasons for why there should not be an 8 team playoff
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,451

My reasons for why there should not be an 8 team playoff

Nov 29, 2016, 10:17 PM

Lot of words, but please read.

1) It would take away from the significance of a conference championship game.
If a team like Bama or Clemson were to be upset in a conference championship, then they would probably still get an at-large bid. Plus a VT or Florida could end up in the playoff as an automatic bid when they are probably not one of the 8 best teams in the country.

2) It would take away from the significance of the regular season.
Right now, four 2-loss team are sitting in the top 8. If a 2-loss team can make it to the playoff that easy, then upsets really aren't that upsetting and matchups like OSU-Mich don't really have as big of playoff implications if both teams remain in the top 5 afterwards.

3) Logistically it would be hard on fans.
The cost for playoff tickets/travel expenses is extremely high as it is for one playoff game. For someone to buy game tickets, hotel rooms, gas money or plane tickets, and food/other expenses for 3 playoff games, they would have to spend a small fortune. Not to mention if you throw a conference championship in there.

4) The playoff system we have now works.
The regular season/conference championships are very exciting and meaningful. The playoff has eliminated the teams that didn't belong in that top tier(Example A - Mich St 2015). The only flaw has been that maybe a #5 gets snubbed that is elite caliber. But OSU won it as #4 two years ago so, I'd say the committee has done well these first two years.

5) It would include teams that don't belong.
Right now the top 4 teams have records of 12-0, 11-1, 11-1, and 11-1 respectively. Teams ranked 5-8 each have 2 losses. The only team that I would argue is as good as those top 4 is Michigan. The other three I feel like don't belong. I know Penn St beat OSU but I think most would agree that OSU is better than Penn St just like Clemson is better than Pitt. I don't think you have to dig deep into the rankings to find the best team in the country, I think the best team is in the top 4. That's what the playoff is for isn't it? To find the best team in the country?

There is never going to be a perfect system that makes everyone happy. There are always going to be doubters about anything that is put in place. However, I believe that the system we have now works well, and an 8-team playoff is not necessary. When we start having 6, 7, 8 teams that look elite caliber, then an 8 team playoff will be needed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good post***

Nov 29, 2016, 10:23 PM

Re: My reasons for why there should not be an 8 team playoff

Nov 29, 2016, 11:19 PM

this is how it will Play out over time if Ohio gets in and the Conference champs are left out because they won but convincing enough win There will be no more college conference championship games it will be divisional and then a choice made who is the better team and crowned conference champ this is why the Big 12 is not going to expand. then there will be a chosen 8 teams to play the play offs that way you have the same amount of games with out hurting your ranking by losing a conf. championship game or not playing well enough in the win and still hurting your chances at the play offs So instead of what he have now of a 8 team play off this Saturday and since the big 12 dont have a conference championship game we already have a 8 team play off with the big 12 as number 9 waiting for a screw up so if we gonna do a true play off do the D2 model and really see who is the best

good post, but

Nov 29, 2016, 11:28 PM

if a one loss conf champ or a champ with a head to head win over a selected team are left out, a couple of your given facts are not real

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think there should be an eight team playoff

Nov 30, 2016, 12:03 AM

1) Don't agree that it makes conference championships less important. I think it is more interesting for the underdog just out of the top 8 trying to impress the committee. A championship won by a team ranked 15 (like Florida) wouldn't get them in. The big jumps and falls happen at the beginning of the year when no one knows what the heck they are talking about.

However, the regular season could be reduced by one (however, some teams may scream about losing the revenue of a home game). This is necessary when you get to point 3.

2) No problem with a two loss team being in the playoff if they have scheduled well and or lost well. Yes there is a thing as a good loss.

3) Logistics - this one is tough. I'd have to take a look at the FCS schools to see how they handle it. But they do. One option might be to have the first round at the home stadium of the higher seed.

Conference championships would take place on Thanksgiving weekend and rivalry weekend would be a week earlier (this is why we shrunk the season by a game in point 1)

4) the BCS "worked" but was flawed. CFP 4 is better but still flawed

5) by widening the pool to eight you allow more teams a "chance" - not just the ones with resources to build the best facilities. Maybe make this game less of the pro sport that it is (I know I'm dreaming).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My reasons for why there should not be an 8 team playoff

Nov 30, 2016, 4:56 AM

You left out one other factor.Why not just give it to the most popular team in the top 2.
That would either be Alabama,and Ohio State because that's the two teams the committee really wants to play this year,and most years from now on.

If it ever went to 8 I assume there would be home games

Nov 30, 2016, 5:11 AM

For some higher ranked teams and the semis and final or just final would be neutral.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know what makes Clemson so much better than 2 loss

Nov 30, 2016, 5:30 AM

teams.

A missed short FG by NC State.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Disagree on ALL points

Nov 30, 2016, 6:32 AM

Based on your reasoning, college basketball would have a 16 or 8 team field. 4 slots is not enough for all the really good teams in the country, and 8 of whom could win a 3-game playoff on a given stretch. And what a great December this would make, and yes, I guarantee people would travel, just like for basketball. Good try, though.

Apples, oranges***

Nov 30, 2016, 7:57 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Disagree on ALL points

Nov 30, 2016, 8:25 AM [ in reply to Disagree on ALL points ]

And does anyone give 2 ##### about the basketball regular season? No! No they don't...
College football is the most exciting stuff out there because every game can make or break a season. You can already feel it getting watered down with the 4 team playoff. Fans were apathetic after the Pitt loss. If there wasn't a playoff you would've seen adults crying in the streets after that game, because our season would've been over. And I think that's a good thing.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,451
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic