Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Renaming as a philosophy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,065

Renaming as a philosophy

Jun 9, 2020, 3:51 PM

Inanimate objects get named (and renamed) all the time and naming us usually done to honor the person. Look around SC and you will find roads, bridges, streets, building, etc named after real people to honor them - not because they personally built the thing.

And they are often renamed. I live in the midlands and a boat landing and building named after Lexington Sheriff Metts were renamed when it was discovered he had broken the law and used his position to enrich himself and his buddies.

As such, I think it is completely appropriate to rename any "thing" if it was originally named as such primarily to honor that person. If we will rename a boat landing because a sheriff played fast and loose with his position we will not rename a building named for a avowed racist??

As for the Calhoun mansion, I am ok leaving that what it is. It is name for him because he built it - it was his house. No one built it later and then decided to name it in his honor.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Renaming as a philosophy

Jun 9, 2020, 3:55 PM

I thought the mansion was called Fort Hill but maybe I am wrong

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2020, 4:12 PM

TU for not typing Fort Mill!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2020, 5:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Renaming as a philosophy ]

I stand corrected. When I was a student we all called it the Calhoun mansion.

They renamed a whole lake....Clark's Hill***

Jun 9, 2020, 3:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2020, 4:06 PM

Would you be okay with renaming Clemson University to something else? As a side-note, I'm okay with renaming Tillman Hall and the Honors program.

Message was edited by: 04TheseHills®

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2020, 4:10 PM

No. Too costly. people already have enough trouble grasping where the school is. And lastly w/o Mr Clemson's will there wouldnt be a Clemson

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2020, 4:27 PM

I'm with you, but it's definitely a slippery slope to start renaming things. There has to be a very clear rationale and standard, and it can't be a moving target. Today's Clemson culture that I love doesn't support slavery or racism, but clearly Thomas Clemson was a slave owner. My degree is from Clemson University, and I definitely didn't attend because of the choices Thomas Clemson made at his present day. I chose to attend Clemson University because of the reputation and quality of the education I would receive today - nobody forced me to attend. I could have researched every building name and past transgression of every person who a building or program is named after before I chose to attend Clemson, and could have decided to go elsewhere. I didn't, since I was looking at the Clemson culture of today, which has rightly changed with the times.

Message was edited by: 04TheseHills®

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It may not matter but I hope people realize...

Jun 9, 2020, 4:22 PM

the decision to name the things at Clemson, whether it be an honors college or building, after those men was not based at all on their personal beliefs but instead on what they did for the University.

The father of our country, George Washington, was heavily dependent on slave labor. In fact, he owned over 100 salves.

Shall we also rename the Washington monument and take his photo off of US currency.

If so, where does it end?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Difference being that Calhoun's historical mark on

Jun 9, 2020, 4:45 PM

the US is because of his advocacy of slavery and being a leader in the secessionist movement. While GW owned slaves, his fame was derived from other, slightly more important, things.

Re: Difference being that Calhoun's historical mark on

Jun 9, 2020, 4:59 PM

Did you know? (found this on the internet so it must be true) In 1957, a Senate Committee headed by Senator John F. Kennedy selected Calhoun as one of the five greatest United States Senators of all time

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, I did know.***

Jun 9, 2020, 5:23 PM

Re: Difference being that Calhoun's historical mark on

Jun 9, 2020, 5:05 PM [ in reply to Difference being that Calhoun's historical mark on ]

His historical mark is not only slavery but you and others want to make it so.

Save it, BP.

Jun 9, 2020, 5:43 PM

Being born and bred South Carolinian, I found Calhoun a fascinating historical character in my younger days. Nerd, I know. Anyway, his writings on limited government and personal liberty are foundational to this country and would be a solid reminder of what is important today.

That, however, is not why he's well known. Later in his career, he eloquently supported nullification that brought legal definition to state's rights and bolstered the secessionist movement. Throughout his life, he was an advocate of slavery, that the privileged and less-privileged system was even good for the slaves themselves. He was the preeminent pro-slavery voice in his time. Curiously, this is odd considering his thoughts on personal liberty, but, oh well.

I'm not making anything so, as you put it. Calhoun is known for his pro-slavery views for a good reason.

Whether you admire him or not, the truth is

Jun 9, 2020, 4:40 PM

Clemson University might not exist today with Benjamin Tillman's support, which is why Tillman is named Tillman.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,065
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic