Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did we just witness the greatest 2 consecutive years in Clemson football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Did we just witness the greatest 2 consecutive years in Clemson football

May 7, 2017, 6:13 AM

history? I know '81 was special but I was too young to really understand what took place leading up to the championship. I'm just curious what some of you think that are able to compare. I know I was more dialed in on everything from recruiting to what other teams were doing than ever before

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clearly***

May 7, 2017, 6:16 AM

Re: Did we just witness the greatest 2 consecutive years in Clemson football

May 7, 2017, 6:18 AM

Definitely. Played in 2 consecutive natty's. '81 team did go 9-1-1 the following two years after winning. Lost to THUGA and tied Flutie led BC team in '82, then lost to Flutie led BC team and tied THUGA in '83 if my memory serves me correctly.

No the best is yet to come

May 7, 2017, 6:23 AM

NO, Dabo has yet not yet taken us undefeated! It will happen and possibly will for 2 straight years. Great, yes. Best it will ever be, no. I was there for 81-83 with a total of 2 losses and 2 ties. Who knows how the ties turn out if we had OT then but both were at home. If we go 12-1 or better this year then there is room to argue.

Re: No the best is yet to come

May 7, 2017, 6:33 AM

So we have 3 consecutive years to match instead of the 2 we just experienced? Got you

Re: No the best is yet to come

May 7, 2017, 8:17 AM

Not ending any time soon! Embrace it!

May 7, 2017, 6:55 AM

i was not around for the '81 team, just a kid living in Florida. But what we are witnessing is a product of exceptional leadership, and a program that is being built to last. Swinney represents the values of the university and has been rewarded with the incredible amount of support that it takes to build a program like this. He has surrounded himself with very talented assistants that are also good people. He has built a trust between his players and staff and has a good reputation with the high school coaches in the region. Provided he sticks around, I think this is just the beginning of a dynasty that a lot of other programs are trying to emulate.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2017, 7:36 AM

You know I didn't consider the "off the field" importance but you're spot on. From all accounts it appears Ford was more inclined to spearhead the entire program where as Dabo seems to spread the wealth, if you will, amongst the entire program. This seems to add in galvanizing all from fans to personnel to players. Not knocking Danny at all, just a difference in style

May 7, 2017, 7:02 AM

All I know is I added a ton of grey hair,lost my voice screaming at the television,
and probably took a year off my life.The nerves were shot after "The Natty".
Add to it,I spent a small fortune just on the magazines that hit the newsstands.Forget the hats
and tee-shirts.
Don't know how much more of the last two years I can take.
Yea,I would say this was the greatest 2 consecutive seasons in Clemson History.
And who knows just how much better it might get?

May 7, 2017, 8:05 AM

Tiger fans old enough to clearly recall the Ford era would tell you by comparison any number of answers, but as a historian and having witnessed both the last two seasons were our best thus far. We played fifteen games, not just twelve and despite two losses overall the teams played more top ten foes and won.

The comparison that will be fair will come when Dabo has coached as many seasons as Danny. How many ACC and national championships will Dabo have? Coach Ford had a premier program, but one that suffered under probation in the mid 1980s and I truly believe Clemson and his staff could have won another championship, but his record speaks volumes. Dabo has six straight ten win campaigns. Danny did not so Dabo stands alone from a standpoint of consistency.

If we continue recruiting, coaching and developing teams with the future QBs we have and expect to sign then Dabo has every chance to win a second and perhaps a third national championship, but the task has become much more difficult than during the 1980s. Right my vote goes to Dabo and company.

Go Tigers!

Perspective

May 7, 2017, 8:35 AM

The 81-83 teams won 91% of their games if you count ties as half win and half loss. The 2014-2016 teams are at 86% with more home games played. About 90% of the probation stuff was Charley Pell and I don't think Danny was named and NONE of it involved FAKE classes. So I would say the two runs are very close but the current one will take over soon most likely this year. Eventually Perimeter Road will be Dabo Swinney Blvd. and there will be a Kathleen Swinney building. If WCS wins 2 more national championships, look also for Howard-Swinney Field when he retires after 20+ years.

Re: Perspective

May 7, 2017, 9:44 AM

Nice angle on statistical comparison

Re: Perspective

May 7, 2017, 2:37 PM

Sometimes numbers mean things. As long as we get another couple of 1s before I am called home, that will be fine!

No doubt

May 7, 2017, 8:25 AM

The best 2 consecutive years.

Without question

May 7, 2017, 8:48 AM

When you take into consideration the absolute fabulous character of our players and coaches, it is simply remarkable

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, you witnessed the 2 best years in CFB History.

May 7, 2017, 9:00 AM

The playoff makes winning out even more difficult. Clemson and Bama are the only two teams to ever go 14-1 and they did it at the same time playing each other for the title each year. It's a movie quality ###### that is bound to be a 30 for 30 if ESPN can keep their #### together.

Re: No, you witnessed the 2 best years in CFB History.

May 7, 2017, 9:50 AM

We had a lot of talent back then and if you gave Danny two weeks to practice before a game, Clemson usually won. Different style of football being played today and every team has some players, well most every team wink, wink, but I think the past few years have been fantastic and I don't think we are finished yet. Most of the guys played until they were seniors back then and now a lot of them are in the pros for their senior year. We have better recognized talent today than back in the old days. Dabo and co has taken us to a new level and I like it!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2017, 9:54 AM

Yes! Making the playoffs by impressing a group of people is harder than rising in the polls after teams lost. Dabo has changed this program. However, what Danny did was special as well. Had the probation not happened, he would have had at least one if not more national titles. When he was fired by the worst president that we have ever had, we were poised to get another one. Both had their ways of doing things. I thank both coaches for both national titles.

May 7, 2017, 10:35 AM

Thanks to all for the feedback! TU'd all I think. It seems, for the most part, there's an equal amount of those that feel either way with plausible reasons. Glad to witness this run. Ready to add to it!

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic