Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Deon Cain
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 7,700

Deon Cain

Sep 26, 2017, 8:56 PM

Understanding our offensive coaches were surprised and KB & receivers were not prepped for BC's unexpected zone coverage schemes, where has Deon Cain been this year? He seems to be getting snaps but not touches. For a player ranked as a pre-season All-American by some and as a 1st round pick (even as high as No.5) by others, Cain has been strangely absent from the offense so far this year. Is he hurt?
Is he being used primarily as a decoy? Is he being double-covered on most plays? Can KB get him the ball? Hopefully Cain will see some touches in the Va Tech game. Clemson will need his talent sooner or later. Any T-Netters have insight on Cain's status?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're saving him for the big games!***

Sep 26, 2017, 8:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Deon Cain

Sep 26, 2017, 9:01 PM

He's been getting doubled. Considering the way BC played defensively last week, our coaches needed to mix things up some.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 26, 2017, 9:11 PM

IMO it is just bad breaks:
1) Kent State - 2nd drive Cain hauls in a long TD reception...
2) Auburn - made a couple of tough catches down field and forced the CB to commit two PIs...
3) UL - had a long TD called back and KB2 missed him on another...
4) BC - coverage/pressure caused problems with KB2 and OL. Also, KB2 missed Cain on a throw where Cain got behind the coverage...

Cain is fine; he has had a couple tough breaks.

Tight end needs to step up or Overton at same time as Cain

Sep 26, 2017, 10:02 PM

to get the double team off Cain.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tight end needs to step up or Overton at same time as Cain

Sep 26, 2017, 10:33 PM

Milan is a pretty good pass catcher but I don't think we have a TE on the roster that can block
Worth a d@mn.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Certainly have not seen Milan stretch the field like Leggett***

Sep 26, 2017, 10:48 PM

Sep 26, 2017, 11:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Tight end needs to step up or Overton at same time as Cain ]

> Milan is a pretty good pass catcher but I don't think
> we have a TE on the roster that can block
> Worth a d@mn.

When Garrett hurt his knee, I thought he was out for the year. Now I see on the injury report that he is not in the OFTY section, but out for this game-----He may return this year, point is he was our best blocking TE last year.

Sep 28, 2017, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Tight end needs to step up or Overton at same time as Cain ]

Overton and Cain have lay the same position so they're never on the field at the same time.

Once our offensive line decides to consistently protect KB

Sep 26, 2017, 10:55 PM

We will see more passes to Cain.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I hope so Judge ... also believe Milan can split seam

Sep 26, 2017, 11:04 PM

if O-Line can give KB a couple more seconds. A little nervous about Bud Foster blitzes this week but figure we have the hosses to take gobblers down.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Made some crucial plays/catches

Sep 27, 2017, 6:11 AM

ag. Auburn and Ville, and we had no passing attack ag. BC. Let's see how things unfold

Sep 27, 2017, 6:47 AM

His main problem is KB, who is limited as a passer. KB is on pace to throw 6 TDs this season. Obviously he'll will throw more than that. But, it's hard to see KB having a 20+ TD season. All the WRs are going to have low numbers compared to previous seasons.

Sep 28, 2017, 12:57 AM

He has caught a few bad breaks. I expect Cain to have plenty of more catches as defenses will try to make us beat them with the pass. KB can deliver and Cain has still got all that speed and big game experience.

Sep 28, 2017, 8:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Deon Cain ]

Have you watched KB throw the ball this year??

Sep 28, 2017, 8:41 AM

yes, above poster is correct. Kelly's arm strength is limited.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

KB's arm strength is fine....

Sep 28, 2017, 9:03 AM

He can throw the long ball, just not as accurately as I had hoped.

Re: KB's arm strength is fine....

Sep 28, 2017, 10:05 AM

His deep balls float and hang in the air for a long time. This is because he lacks arm strength. He has had some nice deep throws but has also missed a bunch that were way underthrown. At least the last nderthrown balls have a chance of being caught or being flagged, unlike overthrows.

Sep 28, 2017, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Deon Cain ]

Remember when you said we wouldn't have any big passing plays because of KBs passing ability? That was funny.

https://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=21992411

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Sep 28, 2017, 10:47 AM

Please explain to me how I was wrong. KB has 2 TD passes in 4 games, and one was against Kent State. KB has 1 TD vs 3 INTs in 3 games against Power 5 schools so far. I was also right about CJ Fuller, who is averaging 2.7 yards per carry vs the 3 Power 5 opponents.

Your feathers are showing again

Sep 28, 2017, 11:56 AM

You clearly haven't watched any games and just read of stats. So his deep ball Cain in the Kent state game doesnt to count? What about the 30+ throws to Ray Ray that he dropped in the bucket against Auburn? What about the 40 yard throw into a tight window to Renfrow on the first drive at Louisville? There's also the 77 TD yard throw to (at least 40 of the yards the ball was in the air) to Ray Ray against and the 40 yard would be TD to Cain that was nullified due to a penalty. These don't include the plays he's made with his legs and critical 3rd down throws he's made. Also only one of his INTs are on him, but you would know that of you actually watched the games.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: Your feathers are showing again

Sep 28, 2017, 12:47 PM

Every college QB hits Ray Ray on that 77 yard TD against UL. It was a double move, and Ray Ray was wide open. I'm just amazed that you believed mentioning 6 passes (1 against Kent State) over the span of 4 games would be a reasonable counter argument.

Clemson is 63rd in passing offense. KB has more TDs than two ACC QBs, and both of them have only started 1 game. Georgia Tech's QB has more TD passes than KB right now. Hell of a runner though.

Sep 28, 2017, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Deon Cain ]

The decision to go with Bryant may be the correct one, but it certainly limits the touches that receivers at that position (Cain, Overton and Higgins) will get.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 28, 2017, 10:50 AM

I agree with this. KB is the better option that Zerrick and Hunter. That's obvious so far. But, he's still very limited as a passer. And it's only going to get more difficult for him in my opinion. Teams are going to gather more and more film to expose his flaws. That's what Boston College did. Anyways, Feaster and Etienne have been awesome! The defense has been everything that we have expected. Glad to be 4-0

You just asked 6 questions.

Sep 28, 2017, 8:16 AM

wow

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

We have favored the lateral passes to short, quick guys

Sep 28, 2017, 11:49 AM

over the back-shoulder passes, posts, and slants this year so far (passes that work better for the bigger, NFL type receivers.) That being said Cain has had a few slants that I can remember and he did well. We have to do a better job of "loosening up" defenses and not waiting until 3rd and long to try to go downfield. Then, he'll get more action.

Replies: 25
| visibility 7,700
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic