Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Demonte Capehart Discussion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Demonte Capehart Discussion

Apr 10, 2019, 11:07 PM

I just watch his film for the first time and I must say he has some of the worst football technique I have ever seen........and I Love it. The fact that he can produce at all with his level of technique means he has so much room to grow. Who knows what his potential is. From his stance to his ability to shed blocks, his pad level, keeping his feet moving. He is a horrible football player right now, but he's an amazing athlete. As a coach I would love the opportunity to mold him. Coach Bates was my college coach and knows his stuff at DL. He's in good hands.

if you don't know what I mean heres his Highlight tape https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7798826/5c080715578d6b0fa4b9e842

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he looks raw. he has never needed any technique look at

Apr 11, 2019, 12:44 AM

How he can move. He is an incredible athlete. it will be fun to see him develop

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: he looks raw. he has never needed any technique look at

Apr 11, 2019, 1:29 AM

I agree...a lot of the top high school athletes get by on athleticism alone, but its interesting how poor his technique is and how well he still produces. Im definitely excited about him

Re: Demonte Capehart Discussion

Apr 11, 2019, 12:51 AM

Stands straight up at the snap of the ball ..... zero leverage, but because of his quickness hardly anyone gets their pads on him. His upside is tremendous.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2019, 1:31 AM

He's probably a name we won't hear too much about for his first 2 years but then once he puts it all together he's gonna explode on the scene.

Good assessment IMO

Apr 11, 2019, 6:51 AM

Hopefully he’s an early enrollee which would shorten the learning curve and maybe let him play meaningful snaps after a redshirt year

Didn't look that bad to me

Apr 11, 2019, 12:53 AM

Obviously could use better hands but you can say that about virtually any high school d-lineman. Only real gripe is he plays a little to high with his pad level which is understandable given his height but that'll be an easy fix once he gets to Clemson.

Re: Didn't look that bad to me

Apr 11, 2019, 1:34 AM

Ive seen 11 year olds with better stances than him. He plays on brute strength and quickness uses 0 leverage, and I don't think he knows what shedding a Block is. but he takes good angles has a decent instinct, and is probably a better athlete than Bryan Bresee if we're being honest. It's a lot of good to him.

Apr 11, 2019, 9:12 AM

I see your concerns, but based on what I see in the video, before we change anything in his technique we should see if he can do it against our players. If he can, we should list all of the things he does wrong and get him to help teach those errors to our players...... maybe he's just so bad he catches opponents off-guard by doing things they don't expect..... :)

Apr 11, 2019, 3:09 PM

Trust me he's in for a rude awakening when he tries to do this on the college level.

Apr 11, 2019, 9:23 AM

I coached a 6'2" 250lb(grew to 6'3", 285lb), DT a few years ago that was absolutely off the charts. Strong as a bull, quick as a cat, mean streak on the field, nicest guy you could ever meet off the field. Three time all state, All conference 3 years in a row, conference defensive player of the year twice(lost to team mate other time) grades wouldn't let him in 4 year schools so he enrolled at Georgia Military. He got tired of school and came home. He works for Michelin now making a good living, but he could have played on Sundays if he could have gotten the academic help the guys today get. Looking at the film of Demonte, athletically they are pretty close, technique wise not even close. Someone hasn't done DC justice, any DL coach worth a #### teaches pad level, hand placement, swim, rip, and other moves, but I guess one thing in his favor is he keeps his eyes up. Thank the LORD we have great coaches that can mold young athletes into great players, men, and citizens!

Apr 11, 2019, 9:36 AM

OK - I agree he doesn't keep a good pad level and doesn't have good hand placement and doesn't extend his hands as much as he should, but take another look at the video.

He does have a swim move and demonstrates several times on the video. He does have a dip/rip move and demonstrates it several times on the video. He does shed blocks and demonstrates it several times on the video. He knows where he's going and how to get there - he does what he needs to do to get the job done.

It won't take long for him to become an outstanding player at Clemson.

Apr 11, 2019, 9:41 AM

His moves are very raaw and seem like it's an afterthought. No doubt the talent is there, it's just raw but sometimes that is what you want, easier to get it corrected instead of having to break a bad habit!

Apr 11, 2019, 9:47 AM

I see the afterthought evidence, but it seems to me to be that it's to brush off players who try to get in his way after he's already beaten them.... more of an irritation, like swatting at a fly. He'll learn very quickly what he needs to do, because his motor runs wide open and he has an incredible desire to find the ball and punish the ball carrier.

Apr 11, 2019, 3:07 PM

You think we are speaking negatively on him but these are positives. Some players come out of high school already peaked. He's far from that. Even his stance is atrocious. Ive never been a fan of the 4 point stance in general but definitely not one that has a D lineman's Head higher than his butt. His instincts are decent, but he is poorly coached in terms of football technique probably because he's the best player on his team.

Apr 11, 2019, 5:00 PM

I agree his technique is not what is coached on the college and pro level and I also agree he'll find out soon enough whether it'll work at Clemson.

His stance has been useful to him at his level of competition because it allows him to get vertical and forward quicker and allows him to start running into the backfield faster than if he were in a butt-high position. The problem is that when he's vertical, he's susceptible to losing leverage and can be easily blocked by someone lower with good hands. But, he avoids that because he's extremely good at getting off blocks with strength by throwing off whoever is trying to block him.

Some of what he uses to his advantage is bad technique that works because he's not up against the best and he can cheat - but some of his bad technique may be useful if he's so athletic that he can get away with it. I'm sure the coaches will evaluate what he does that must be corrected and what he does that may not be by the book, but works to his advantage.

Trevor Lawrance doesn't have a perfect throwing motion, but he sure gets the job done. Jordan Leggett was a terrible TE when it came to blocking, but he found a place in our offense. Ben Boulware wasn't the best in coverage, but his motor made up for it.

Between this guy and the coaches, he'll be a very good player - even if his technique isn't the best.

Trevor Lawrence's throwing motion

Apr 11, 2019, 7:30 PM

Trevor Lawrence's throwing motion is amazing. People use the term "can make all the throws" loosely, but Trevor Lawrence really can make ALL the throws. The only other players i see in the world with his quality of arm talent are.

Patrick Mahomes: may actually be more talented than TL if we're being honest.

Matthew Stafford: was blessed with a rocket launcher for a shoulder.

Josh Allen: A great comparison for TL just a little rougher around the edges.

and maybe Ben Roethlisberger. Thats about it. Trevor Lawrence has one of the 5 best QB arms and throwing motions in the world right now in my opinion.

Re: Trevor Lawrence's throwing motion

Apr 12, 2019, 8:31 AM

I don't have an issue with his throwing motion either - because it gets the job done, gets the ball out in a hurry with velocity and accuracy. But, some will criticize the elbow outside the proper plane - not so much on the delivery, but on the arm ####.

This is the same sort of argument used in golf about a player not having the club in the proper back-swing groove, yet the player gets good results because he drops the club into the groove on the downswing.

My point is not that a player's form is bad - it's that sometimes our view of good and bad according to "ex-spurts" is not correct and can actually limit a player's potential and performance. What would #### Fosbury have accomplished if he was not allowed to use the flop on his jumps? How about Willie Mays with his one-handed catches? Lew Moren's knuckle ball?

Sometimes coaches teach what's in a book that somebody wrote that says there's only one way to skin a cat - when reality might teach them to first figure out what kind of cat it is:

http://smartfootball.com/uncategorized/improving-a-quarterbacks-throwing-motion#sthash.OEn2e7Uw.dpbs

^^^ A Good Example ^^^

Apr 12, 2019, 9:09 AM

of my belief that folks get programmed into believing things only work one way. When we get to the point where we can't use a nickname for "Richard" without it being assumed to have negative meaning, artificial intelligence is exposed as fake intelligence - or just plain stupid.

Don't Forget He'll Be At IMG Shortly!

Apr 11, 2019, 4:56 PM

He will receive fulltime coaching on technique like XT did!

There was a huge improvement in XT's time at IMG and hopefully, will see a similar improvement.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic