Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Defensive Tackles next year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Defensive Tackles next year

Jan 2, 2015, 8:49 PM

Reader& watson(so glad we got a RS on him) Pagano& Robinson +Rod Byers.

Sterling Johnson who is a Early Enrolle.

Gage Cervenka comes this summer& I'm not sure if Huggins is a End or Tackle

But I'm confident this Group can get it done& Carlos Will be Elite before he leaves

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Defensive Tackles next year

Jan 2, 2015, 8:49 PM

**** Sorry. Watkins!!!! Not Watson. Lol

Huggins has said that he wants to stay at DE...

Jan 2, 2015, 8:55 PM

He may grow into a DT, but for the time being is a SDE.

We know that Reader and Watkins are good and won't provide a huge amount of drop off from Jarrett and Williams, but the question next year will be if Pagano and Robinson can provide the same level that Watkins/Reader/and Watson provided this year with no dropoff. Some have said that Robinson has been impressive, and Pagano definitely looks the part, so lets hope they are up for the challenge and ready to be the next great DL that CU has.

I'm not sure Byers moves back to the defensive of the ball, but if he does it, I think it will be as a DE.

Re: Huggins has said that he wants to stay at DE...

Jan 2, 2015, 8:59 PM

You don't think Johnson can challenge Robinson on the 2 deep?

He certainly may.. He has already has the size and

Jan 2, 2015, 9:05 PM

we definitely need a big Johnson on the field since we are losing our stiff Peters..

I dont know though... Like I said, theres been talks that Robinson has a relentless motor and is ready to compete, but to what extent, we aren't sure yet. Its certainly possible that he can because he is coming in rated much higher. One things for sure though, he better be ready because with 1 injury to the DL, he will thrown into the ring of fire.. Good thing he is an EE and he may avoid RS.

Re: He certainly may.. He has already has the size and

Jan 2, 2015, 9:07 PM

Isn't Robinson around 260?? That's a lil small for a DT

Thats part of the problem with him unless he packed on some

Jan 2, 2015, 9:13 PM

serious muscle and weight in his RS year. Spring practices and spring game will tell a lot... Good thing though that Johnson and Huggins are both EE's because they may be counted on early and often with 1 injury.

We play with one penetrating DT and 1 run stuffer

Jan 2, 2015, 9:22 PM

We do the same thing with our D-Ends. Robinson will play the same role as "undersized" Grady Jarrett. Robinson is only 6'1 or 6'2, so he isn't spreading that weight out over a 6'5 frame. I'm guessing he plays around 270-275 this year and comes in on obvious passing downs. We don't need him to be an every down player, we just need him to a situational player as a RS freshman.

True, but even at 270ish, he is kinda of undersized, but all

Jan 2, 2015, 9:28 PM

reviews on him have been great. And coming from Dan Brooks, thats a good thing. I think he is going to be a good ultimately, but I just hope he packed on some weight and is a little more than 270ish.

You see teams go with 4 D-ends on passing rushing situations

Jan 2, 2015, 9:30 PM

Robinson will be used like that next year. He'll continue to get bigger, but we won't need him to be an every down contributor until he's a RS junior....which give him 2 more years to get bigger.

Well he needs to be able to be used more than that to

Jan 2, 2015, 9:34 PM

give Watkins and Readers breathers.. Look how much we rotated the DL this year - he will need to be able to contribute even on rushing downs. Our DL was great this past year, but what made it great aside from the sheer talent of our front 4 was our depth and ability to rotate guys with no drop off. We will need to be able to do that next year as well, and Robinson will need to be to fill in.

We were spoiled last year

Jan 2, 2015, 9:37 PM

Very rarely will you see a team go legit 6 deep at D-Tackle.

We will be closer to the norm next season by going 3 deep with a situational guy to make it 4.

I disagree.. Yes, last year we were spolied, but

Jan 2, 2015, 9:39 PM

most power 5 teams can go 4 deep at the DL.. there may be drop off, but they can go 4 deep. We need to be able to do that next year, and right now we only know that we have 2 that can contribute in Reader and Watkins. Pagano looks the part, and Robinson has drawn praise, but outside of that we are pi$$ing in the wind until spring ball..

We can go 4 deep

Jan 2, 2015, 9:51 PM

but I don't think you'll see Robinson in on 1st and 10 against a team that likes to run.

I hope not at 270..

Jan 2, 2015, 9:58 PM

But maybe he comes in heavy for the big weigh in..

I want him to be strong, not fat

Jan 2, 2015, 10:03 PM

An extra 20 pounds of fat will only slow him down and won't make him any stronger. Dude will get bigger, but it takes time to put on "good" weight.

Didn't read all the resonses in this thread but GJ was a

Jan 2, 2015, 10:11 PM [ in reply to He certainly may.. He has already has the size and ]

2 and 3 star DT and is now arguably the best defensive player on our team. I trust our staffs evaluation of talent and hope Jabril is ready to take that next step!

Jan 2, 2015, 9:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Huggins has said that he wants to stay at DE... ]

> You don't think Johnson can challenge Robinson on the
> 2 deep?

I remember reading that the coaching staff was excited about Robinson and they feel that they really hit it big with him. It will be interesting to see if Johnson can come in a push for playing time.

Jan 2, 2015, 9:18 PM

I could also see Huggins sliding into the 3 kinda like nikimmmdeeeche at ole ####

Jan 2, 2015, 8:59 PM [ in reply to Huggins has said that he wants to stay at DE... ]

I hope you are correct on Carlos but I have watched him all season and just does not get any push. I think he plays best at 285 to 290 and right now he is over that weight.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you are right...

Jan 2, 2015, 9:18 PM

I think he gets better this off season knowing that he is going to have to be a factor, but he has showed flashes of being elite. I feel confident that him and Reader are going to be a formidable force... the question is the rotation behind them.

Re: I think you are right...

Jan 2, 2015, 9:31 PM

i don't think there will be a big drop off, if any, with Reader and Watkins. Though it's just nearly impossible to replace a guy like Grady, but I think DJ and Carlos will be up to the task. If I'm not mistaken, Robinson was hand picked by Coach Brooks and I trust his judgment and track record. The reviews have been good this far and Brooks is one of the best in the business at molding beastly interior d- linemen. As long as their work ethic isnt a problem, then Brooks will coach them up no problem.

Nobody will replace Grady

Jan 2, 2015, 10:17 PM

HE's irreplaceable, at least in my book. I know someone will step up and do a great job, but Grady was my favorite Tiger and the key to our success. Thanks, Grady.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic