Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Defense Can Hold It's Own!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

Defense Can Hold It's Own!

Oct 8, 2019, 6:55 PM

ttooth made a point that perhaps the thought coming into the year was to "protect the defense"! To call offensive plays that would guarantee time was taken off the clock. To not be too aggressive; b/c sometimes it backfires and you put your defense in a bind.
Well, if that was the case, "it's time to let it go"! This defense isn't the same up front! Davis and Pinckney are playing well and keeping the LB's shirts clean. But, not that you should not even think about running at us front! We are doing it different; yet still very effective this season so far.
One of the big attributes of Coach Swinney's really successful Clemson teams is: "complimentary football"!
I can't help but think - this had a part in the super conservative play calling. These dudes on our defense are studs who will only get better with more snaps!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Defense Can Hold It's Own!

Oct 8, 2019, 7:14 PM

I’m still concerned about the run defense, we gave up an average of 6.1ypc on 1st down verses UNC. The scheme we’re playing on defense is very susceptible to the run, especially on 1st down.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Defense Can Hold It's Own!

Oct 8, 2019, 9:07 PM

Yeah! I hear you! And, I agree. The DL especially DT needs to tighten up moving forward. Things won't get easier! If you are Nyles Pinckney and are considering the NFL after this season; you could literally make millions by being a stonewall on the Tigers defense. The NFL knows all about defenders Brent Venables has coached up. He could make himself into an early draft pick! Outside shot at 1st round; but his height might not allow that. If your Jordan Williams - if not now then when. The young guy Tyler Davis has played well; but he is still a young guy. It's time for X. Kelly to step up as well. The other guys are works in progress and we knew that coming into the season.

Benny Lemay and Charlotte are 6th in rushing offense in college football;; but yeah they were getting too many yards on the ground. The important thing is the scoring defense is looking to be among the best in the nation still. Bend but don't break I guess!

I prefer the Tigers defense that has a ton of TFL's and gives the offense favorable field position. But, you work with what you have!
I still like this defense to be among one of the best in the nation by seasons end. Top 10 maybe not top 5 like previous years! Or 1st!

DK on an Island! How many times has his guy been targeted?

Oct 8, 2019, 9:13 PM

DK is either providing such tight coverage they don't even try to throw his way or the safeties are providing him a ton of help! I haven't seen him have to defend a whole lot of passes this season! I can think of only a few 5 games in.

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic