Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Defense???
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Defense???

Sep 17, 2012, 8:50 AM

A friend of mine made a valid point after the game on Sat. His comments were that we have been a pretty vanilla team on defense, not having used anything very special, i.e. no stunts, no blitzing no special shifts, etc. His point was that, hopefully, those things are in the tool bag and will be pulled out this week vs. FSU. I agree that not showing anything much to FSU should help us. What say you? If what we've shown is all we have, then worry is the order of the day when they have the ball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Defense???

Sep 17, 2012, 8:52 AM

Honestly I think our defense is pretty "vanilla" all around. From Venable's comments, it is a basic, easy defense to learn. It is supposed to be about playing sound defense, knowing your responsibility and hitting someone. Not sure how many tricks they are going to pull out.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2012, 9:03 AM

I have got to say this- it's all about who you have on defense. The players- we have talent but they are young. You can't come straight out of high school and play on the college level and expect to be dominant. If our current recruiting class holds up, then we will have a dominant defense in two to three years. We are playing with very young men on the lines, and while they will be great one day, they are in their teens. BV will be the best DC we have ever had, but he inherited a defense that was made up of YOUNG men.

Sep 18, 2012, 10:01 AM

With your comments in mind, which I agree with, we do need a few new wrinkles to help maximize our youth and minimize their maturity. I hope we are a little less vanilla, and I certainly hope we see some better tackling this week.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2012, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Defense??? ]

While I do agree the defense is supposed to be much simpler than Steele's was (and it really is), I do believe, with as young a group as we have, it will take some unexpected looks to help us gain some advantage. Our guys are 18-19 year old kids with very limited experience, and they are playing a very talented group of men in this FSU team. That said, we need something to keep them on their heels, and most importantly we need to wrap up and tackle all the way to the ground, every single time. IMO.

Keep in mind

Sep 17, 2012, 8:55 AM

1. We have stayed base, with the exception of a few times against AU.

2. Our 3rd down % and redzone % are pretty dang good.

3 BV has faced FSU the last two years, with a healthy Manuel. We will be very prepared scheme wise.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

My biggest concern....

Sep 17, 2012, 9:02 AM

is players being out of position and the resultant big plays.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: My biggest concern....

Sep 18, 2012, 10:03 AM

That has been a key to the long pass plays and the big runs. I hope that get's fixed.

Re: Keep in mind

Sep 17, 2012, 9:18 AM [ in reply to Keep in mind ]

Right on York. Bend but do not break! Mighty Oak.

Sep 18, 2012, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Keep in mind ]

All are very valid points. Thanks for bringing them out. BV knows this FSU team, so let's hope he has something very special for them.

Sep 18, 2012, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Keep in mind ]

Kudos on your points. All are valid and should help us this weekend.

I've said the same thing the last two weeks.

Sep 17, 2012, 9:00 AM

I hope and pray BV and the defense has been sandbagging.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I've said the same thing the last two weeks.

Sep 18, 2012, 10:14 AM

Dittos! Every time I think of what we have seen of the defensive failures (long runs, passes, etc.) I wonder and am hopeful that BV is allowing them to live through and to see the mistakes now and learn from them as "teaching moments". I see much fundamental improvement vs. last year, but we certainly have much work to do. This should be a great game this weekend, and it is one we certainly can win. It will take a great defensive performance to do it. I believe our offense can score on anybody, but as we saw vs WV, a poor defense will kill you.

I don't know if we have been sandbagging, but the defense is

Sep 17, 2012, 9:06 AM

very young in key spots. I could see him dialing up more pressure here and there, but I think what we have seen is what we will get 80% of the time. If they just played within the system and didn't try to be the hero, the defense will be much better. Make the plays you are supposed to make, and take up blockers so others can when you are supposed to. I have seen too many plays where they move out of position and let the opposing o-linemen get to the second level, but that is fixable stuff. It also looks like the pile always moves forward, not backwards like with a stout d like Alabama and FSU or the Clemson D of old even. I think they can play well and give the good guys a chance to win, but FSU is the best team we have seen and will see until the bowl game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't know if we have been sandbagging, but the defense is

Sep 18, 2012, 10:16 AM

Can't disagree with any of your comments. I do hope we are learning from our mistakes.

I think they'll have a package for most of the stuff...

Sep 17, 2012, 9:14 AM

we haven't shown. I expect most of it will be forgotten by the half from having to deal with the stuff we've run all season + Sammy. Who knows how much The Chad has for Sammy?

If we can make it to half time without bringing the house on either side of the ball, FSU gonna be in world of hurt adjusting to us.

Anyway, I think we'll win. We just need to take care of the ball. Tajh has matured enough to do that.

EJ puts too much air under the ball on any pass over 10 or 12 yards. He's good for one fumble and two interceptions. That's not something everybody don't know.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think they'll have a package for most of the stuff...

Sep 18, 2012, 10:18 AM

Good points!

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic