Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Deer Trevor
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,192

Deer Trevor

Sep 9, 2020, 10:13 AM

From Merriam-Webster

Activist (noun):

ac·?tiv·?ist | \ ?ak-ti-vist \
plural activists

Definition of activist (Entry 1 of 2)
: one who advocates or practices activism
: a person who uses or supports strong actions (such as public protests) in support of or opposition to one side of a controversial issue
- Antiwar activists were protesting in the streets.
-an environmental activist
- political activists

just saying.......

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Deer Trevor

Sep 9, 2020, 10:38 AM

deer noun

\ ?dir \
plural deer also deers
Definition of deer
1: any of various slender-legged, even-toed, ruminant mammals (family Cervidae, the deer family) having usually brownish fur and deciduous antlers borne by the males of nearly all and by the females only of the caribou : CERVID
2archaic : ANIMAL
especially : a small mammal

Sep 9, 2020, 10:43 AM

You ain't from around here, are you?... :)

Some consider the word

Sep 9, 2020, 10:43 AM

“Activist” to be an ugly or hateful word but that is definately not the case. There have been “activist” around for many,many years. Names like Alice Paul, Thomas Paine,Betty Friedan And many others have made great contributions
to the societies of the world. A cause you may not favor will not make it disappear.

My father told me when I was a young lad that by the time I was his age the country would be destroyed by labor unions and crooked politicians. Activist had already begun to establish themselves in the labor forces of America at that time. Now they are everywhere! As far the politicians, nothing needs to be said there,

Re: Some consider the word

Sep 9, 2020, 10:50 AM

Your post reminds me of the saying from Gerald Seymour that "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter."

I first heard that from a Brit in the aftermath of 9/11.

Re: Some consider the word

Sep 9, 2020, 11:00 AM

One of the best writers of espionage novels ever.

"activist" should be treated with connotation...

Sep 9, 2020, 11:17 AM

a literal reading of that definition would suggest that a guy sitting in his living room having empathy for something he is watching on TV would be an activist.

I doubt anybody would make that leap.

I think we all know what an activist is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2020, 11:45 AM

Trevor, you da man !!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2020, 1:04 PM

Have you thought about it this way Tiger66?

“Such as public protests in support of or opposition to one side of a controversial issue.”

Okay so I think we can agree in the concept of equality for all ethnicities and races?... all men are created equal. Right? So there’s no controversial issue there? Right? I believe Trevor said that message of equality is ALL he is after? At least that is what I heard.

Trevor made it clear his black teammates have a different world view and experiences than he does, and likely from you and I! He made it clear he was supporting these guys, with a very different perception. He also made it clear media and folks on the “far right” and “far left” were trying to conflate his support of his teammates on a human level as him supporting the political agendas of the far right and/or far left. Now, I read those comments by Trevor to say he is supporting the concept that “black lives do indeed matter,” but he does not necessarily support some of the far left agendas of at least some factions of that BLM group, like defund police, or violence. Trevor may not even believe in systemic racism? Regardless, we all know some racism exists, whether isolated or systemic or somewhere in between, so what are guys like Trevor and myself to do? Is everything really completely black and white? ... far left or far right? Some of us don’t want to really be in either camp. Some of us are actually exhausted by the political rhetoric of both sides if you can believe that.

I would love to see these football players distance themselves from the BLM organization. Start a peaceful, positive movement and call it Black Lives Unlimited or anything to distance themselves from the “pigs in a blanket, fry em like bacon” BLM crowd/faction or whatever. Maybe they will do that. I am hopeful.

But at the end of the day I personally do not think Trevor is being a controversial activist here, based on his comments. What I heard is he is just supporting and loving his buddies and being a good Christian. I’m not so sure about other players, and what Clemson Universe will allow, time will tell? I say give him some credit and give him a break. Let’s see how this unfolds. I may totally change my mind if I see the Clemson uniform plastered with political propaganda. It’s just too soon to be calling kids out though.

*University***

Sep 9, 2020, 1:07 PM

Sep 9, 2020, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Deer Trevor ]

I understand your point, but remember this:

You are judged by the company you keep.

If (as you say), he is only supporting his friends - and those friends are supporting BLM - then he is (by association) also supporting BLM. Anything else is nothing more than appeasement.

If he doesn't agree with the roots of BLM, then he should say so... he can't have it both ways.

Oh, and

Sep 9, 2020, 1:36 PM

the same goes for Dabo and the entire university as far as I'm concerned.

Judged by the company you keep?

Sep 9, 2020, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Deer Trevor ]

What???!!! You do realize that he plays on a predominantly black team, don't you?

I think you emulate exactly what the OP was trying to say. You're trying your best to put him on one side or the other even though he specifically said he wasn't taking sides politically (alt-right or alt-left).

I guess "you're with us or against us" works for people far to one side or the other. Fortunately, a large majority of the people have less of a myopic view of the world.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Judged by the company you keep?

Sep 9, 2020, 2:21 PM

You might want to have your own eyes checked..... :)

I'm actually giving Trevor the benefit of the doubt by recognizing that he wasn't the one to start all of this commotion. It was started by a group of teammates and Trevor elected to join in.

If you believe that the initial purpose was other than to support the BLM message, I'd like to show you a bridge I have for sale.

IMO, all of these folks have fallen for a nice name and jumped on a bandwagon without understanding or caring about the underlying culture of the group's beliefs. That's what I mean by the company you keep".

So, if not wishing to be involved in a Marst society is myopic, just get me some glasses, 'cause I ain't going to get my vision changed.

Sep 9, 2020, 1:59 PM

i dont know what he said, but he is checking all the boxes for a yuge paycheck , not sure what he is supposed to say, as he pursues his dreams

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,192
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic