Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Deer Christians
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Deer Christians

Apr 16, 2014, 11:19 PM

Why do you believe in Christianity? Just curious because I don't.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Deer Christians

Apr 16, 2014, 11:28 PM

What do you mean by "believe in"? Are you asking why people believe in following principles set forth in Christianity? Or why people believe in going to church? Or why people believe in the literal accuracy of the stories?

To "believe in" Christianity means different things for different people. Which beliefs exactly are you interested in?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Apr 17, 2014, 12:11 AM

I believe most of its followers don't live by its principles, the hypocrisy is breath taking at times.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What hypocrisy are you referring to?***

Apr 17, 2014, 12:39 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What hypocrisy are you referring to?***

Apr 17, 2014, 2:35 AM

I must have missed the part in Bible where Jesus owned several hand guns, refused to heal the sick over money, thought helping the poor would cause cultural dependency, defended the wealthy, and sodomized alter boys. I could go on and on..

Oh, you blame Christianity for those things, not individuals

Apr 17, 2014, 7:54 AM

for being thieves, liars, and perverts.

Not sure where you get the idea that Christians believe helping the poor leads to cultural dependency...but, Jesus told Peter that those who live by the sword will die by the sword...that does not constitute "Not owning a sword." It does constitute making a choice.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Re: Oh, you blame Christianity for those things, not individuals

Apr 17, 2014, 1:43 PM

no, read the context of the post, and not just invent our own. I said most Christians dont live by its principles, thus i blames the individuals.

i wish more "christians" would behave like Christians, the world would be a better place.

Apr 17, 2014, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Re: What hypocrisy are you referring to?*** ]

My Church sponsors/supports a homeless shelter. Before that was built ( because the homeless population has grown) they stayed in the church during winter months.
They support a food bank and soup kitchen. Members contribute quite a lot to mission and outreach programs.
They also sponsored a children's home, helped purchase the land ( along with some help form area businesses) it sits on.

I could go on and on and on.....

Apr 17, 2014, 1:45 PM

I did not say all christians, and it is unavoidable not to be hypocritical in this society. But when people say things like, "I support our troops", or in good conscience re-elects a president that bombs people with drones, it goes against the teachings of christ.

Apr 17, 2014, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: What hypocrisy are you referring to?*** ]

By biggest issue with biblical ethics is that often things are either virtuous or sinful with no regard to social impact. For example, victimless crimes such as homosexuality and premarital sex are considered sinful while slavery is clearly sanctioned.

You need to be more nuanced...its hard to do today

Apr 17, 2014, 2:11 PM

With sound bites. Slavery as defined in scripture is not close to what you think of as slavery in the US.

1>Slaves were not kidnapped and sold into slavery
2>It was not race based
3>A slave could buy his freedom and would typically serve for a period of years
4>They were not beaten and were considered a part of the family

Without the proper historical context this can be very confusing.

Also, as far as "vitimless crimes" go, the victim is yourself. You are going against the way a loving God who wants to see you filled with unspeakable peace created you. Absolute freedom leads to slavery. Think of a boat gliding along on the sea. The boat may feel contained by the sea. But if you take it and put it on the city street (set it free) it won't turn out to well. The same goes for us...we were made to enjoy this Earth. Made to enjoy it and worship God through our enjoyment, but we decide at asome point that our way is better and get everything confused, whcih leads to most of the pain and troubles we face. Anything we put above God will eventaully fade away. He never will and having Him as our rock allows us to more greatly love our loved ones, to enjoy our gifts, to be truly free because we are not held captive by the possibility of losing Him even if everything else is lost.

If your total happiness is dependent on something that WILL be lost at some point...what do you have when that happens?

Meet William Wilberforce

Apr 17, 2014, 2:33 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Wilberforce

His belief in Christiany led him to be the leader of the movement to abolish the slave trade in England.

There is no support for America slavery in the Bible...and anyone who uses it as such would twist anything they could find to serve their purpose.

Apr 17, 2014, 9:09 AM

You need to ask folks who do not even know what a message board is. The further we travel in time the messengers get more confusing but the message is still the same. And yea forget about tv. Go to insight.org Radio/internet ministry. And yes at some point you will hear or see the word donation but man does not live by bread alone but you cannot pay bills without it.

What is this life for? Is there a purpose to it?

Apr 17, 2014, 9:50 AM

I guess you start there. Ask where do truths that you hold valuable come from.

I reckon if you come up with all the answers you need, and you don't feel the need to keep asking them, then you're golden and don't worry about what others believe.

I don't know. Neither does anyone else. Those saying

Apr 17, 2014, 11:03 AM

otherwise are selling something.

But some have found peace through Christ.

Apr 17, 2014, 11:16 AM

and those who find peace are often just like one beggar telling another beggar where to find bread.

Keep asking the question until your soul finds peace and rest.

If you find rest in death is the end so be it.

Re: But some have found peace through Christ.

Apr 17, 2014, 11:22 AM

Beggars indeed

Apr 17, 2014, 11:45 AM [ in reply to But some have found peace through Christ. ]
crouch1.jpg(65.5 K)

I'm shocked this topic has never come up before!****

Apr 18, 2014, 3:17 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic