Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Now Cornell Powell is calling for buildings on campus to be renamed.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 74
| visibility 1

Now Cornell Powell is calling for buildings on campus to be renamed.

Jun 3, 2020, 9:11 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/CornellPowell17/status/1268244776312352771

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I figured it was about time for

Jun 3, 2020, 9:19 PM

"Let's rename Tillman Hall" week.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I figured it was about time for

Jun 4, 2020, 10:18 AM

He was being sarcastic. Did you guys not notice the emoji?

Holy carp you're right!

Jun 4, 2020, 11:59 AM

Can't believe I missed the universal symbol for sarcasm emoji. I feel like such an idiot now! Lol, Cornell really got me on that one! Good job!

Re: I figured it was about time for

Jun 4, 2020, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Re: I figured it was about time for ]

Not sure if serious. That’s not a sarcasm emoji...it’s the hugging emoji. HTH

we've been TROLLED again!!

Jun 4, 2020, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Re: I figured it was about time for ]

everyday I wake up, log on to tigernet so you monkies can jerk my chain.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His opinion ceased to matter when he wore the UNC shirt***

Jun 3, 2020, 9:20 PM

Re: His opinion ceased to matter when he wore the UNC shirt***

Jun 3, 2020, 9:27 PM

Amari liked the tweet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: His opinion ceased to matter when he wore the UNC shirt***

Jun 3, 2020, 10:58 PM [ in reply to His opinion ceased to matter when he wore the UNC shirt*** ]

Ding Ding Ding! You hit the nail on the head. Cornell really needs to focus on NOT Dropping balls of which he he has had a lot of.

Re: Now Cornell Powell is calling for buildings on campus to be renamed.

Jun 3, 2020, 9:31 PM

He could call it the " the house that Dean built" in honor of his favorite team.

Why didn’t he just go to Chapel Hole where this kinda nonsense

Jun 3, 2020, 9:36 PM

Is tolerated and encouraged. That’s where u go and erase history and pick and choose what/who was allowed to be apart of our history based on whatever the flavor of the day is...

For a moment, I was like...General Powell talks about Clemson?***

Jun 3, 2020, 9:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah me too lol!***

Jun 4, 2020, 9:20 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Jun 3, 2020, 9:54 PM

Maybe his ### should portal to his beloved Liberal college in Chapel Hill.

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Jun 3, 2020, 9:57 PM

Let's hope his *** portal's into the end zone with the ball plenty this coming season.

Jun 3, 2020, 10:03 PM

Lol, I agree

Jun 3, 2020, 10:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Now Cornell Powell is calling for buildings on campus to be renamed. ]

He’s not good enough.

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

He’ll drop it, like he did against UNC***

Jun 3, 2020, 10:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Now Cornell Powell is calling for buildings on campus to be renamed. ]

LOL !!!

Jun 4, 2020, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Now Cornell Powell is calling for buildings on campus to be renamed. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m sure if he writes the University a

Jun 3, 2020, 10:04 PM

Check for several million dollars they’ll let him rename them.

As long as they rename Tillman Hall to Dyess Hall I'm good

Jun 3, 2020, 10:13 PM

with it...

For those that don't know Aquilla James "Jimmie" Dyess is a 1932 Clemson College graduate and Medal of Honor recipient. He is more than deserving of having a Clemson campus building named after him....

In addition to Dyess Hall I think Skardon Hall has a nice ring to it as well. Can't think of a better Clemson man than Ben Skardon to have his name on a campus building.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As long as they rename Tillman Hall to Dyess Hall I'm good

Jun 4, 2020, 7:41 AM

I say this with 100% seriousness--if you have contacts at Clemson, you should forward this suggestion to them to push up the chain. I think it's a great idea.

Dyess is also the only person in history to earn the MOH, the Carnegie Hero medal (for heroism at great personal danger), and Eagle Scout.

Re: As long as they rename Tillman Hall to Dyess Hall I'm good

Jun 4, 2020, 8:33 AM [ in reply to As long as they rename Tillman Hall to Dyess Hall I'm good ]

Ben Skardon. Just saying.

Jun 3, 2020, 10:32 PM

Need football back and put the social media back in the lock box for another year.

Let me guess...he wants to rename one of them Dean Smith Hall?***

Jun 3, 2020, 10:32 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jun 3, 2020, 10:52 PM

I’m sure Tnet would be happy with calling it Joe21

Jun 3, 2020, 10:55 PM

How about naming a building after John Carruthers Stanly, fellow AA North Carolinian.

https://www.ncdcr.gov/blog/2016/03/12/john-carruthers-stanly-black-master-of-new-bern

I see what you did there

Jun 4, 2020, 3:57 PM

I had never heard of the guy, and wondered what he meant to Clemson, so I clicked your link. If nothing else, I learned something today.

Seriously, though, I wonder what suggestions those who are advocating changing some building names have for new names for those buildings. Maybe Harvey Gantt?

Jun 3, 2020, 11:03 PM

Young men get excited when other young men are excited. But let's go ahead and keep the names of racist murdering men honored by their names on our buildings. After all, they were put there..ummm in the 40's? Yeah, then we should keep them there.

Jun 4, 2020, 12:09 AM

Clemson University chose to honor Tillman for what all he did for Clemson. YOU DONT HAVE TO LIKE IT! There are many many other colleges and Universities that may better represent you, Cornell, and Amari if this is such a bothersome issue for you. It is not everyone else's job to make you feel all warm and cuddly all the time.

I can promise you, I am not in favor of you taking my tax money and donating it to an organization (planned parenthood)that murders black children. However all the liberals on here get off on it for some reason.

So to summarize, deal with it!

Jun 4, 2020, 12:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Now Cornell Powell is calling for buildings on campus to be renamed. ]

Clemson University chose to honor Tillman for what all he did for Clemson. YOU DONT HAVE TO LIKE IT! There are many many other colleges and Universities that may better represent you, Cornell, and Amari if this is such a bothersome issue for you. It is not everyone else's job to make you feel all warm and cuddly all the time.

I can promise you, I am not in favor of you taking my tax money and donating it to an organization (planned parenthood)that murders black children. However all the liberals on here get off on it for some reason.

So to summarize, deal with it!

Jun 4, 2020, 12:20 PM

I believe in a previous post that you mentioned that you are AA, is this true?

Jun 4, 2020, 6:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Now Cornell Powell is calling for buildings on campus to be renamed. ]

So what new name do you want for "Clemson" University? Thomas Green Clemson doesn't exactly have clean hands when it comes to the history of the South and slavery...

I get it... Tillman, even during his lifetime, was a controversial if not a divisive kind of guy and I fully understand why some want to rip his name off the building. I have no issues with renaming Tillman Hall and have even offered the names of Dyess and Skardon as worthy candidates.

However, where do we draw the line from not glorifying people associated with slavery to erasing the factual history that these same people did some good things for the world as well? Human beings have always been complex creatures with none being total saints and total sinners. What level of a person's sin disqualifies their good deeds from being recognized? Must all historical figures now pass through the modern lens of enlightened thought to be deemed anything other than a reprobate? Do we start ripping them out of the history books as well?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2020, 12:18 PM

There's a pretty big difference between "doesn't exactly have clean hands" and "was one of the foremost faces of white supremacy at the turn of 20th century". The former describes essentially every single rich and powerful white American (northern and southern) pre-civil war/reconstruction era. The latter describes Ben Tillman.

Jun 4, 2020, 3:12 PM

Tillman was truly a horrible human, even though I appreciate his work in getting Clemson established. I wouldn’t have any problem with renaming the building. I would prefer to not name it after a person though...

Wasn’t it said that the school has to get permission from the legislature to rename it?

Jun 4, 2020, 9:40 PM

I'd prefer they just go back to referring it to the Main Building.

Jun 5, 2020, 8:59 AM

Agree. For those who prefer to stick with tradition, that would be a great way to do so. I think that would be cool.

Jun 4, 2020, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Now Cornell Powell is calling for buildings on campus to be renamed. ]

There's a pretty big difference between "doesn't exactly have clean hands" and "was one of the foremost faces of white supremacy at the turn of 20th century". The former describes essentially every single rich and powerful white American (northern and southern) pre-civil war/reconstruction era. The latter describes Ben Tillman.

I agree - that's why I can support renaming Tillman Hall - especially if we can name it after someone like Jimmie Dyess or Ben Skardon - men that have physically sacrificed and suffered for their fellow man. I am more than a little concerned, however, that some very loud and influential voices are incapable of making the distinctions you have.

Jun 4, 2020, 12:26 AM

Powell has a right to his opinion, doesn't mean he has the authority to do anything with it. There are many people who love Clemson and the history of the school, who donate lot's of money to Clemson, and would not like being forced to change anything about the names on our buildings. There has been good and bad done by people of every race, religion and ethnic group, it is a part of history. Our history will not change regardless of how much bit$%ing and complaining some do. Same with the history of our great country, we embrace our history, good and bad, learn from it and hope to be better in the future. I am of Cherokee ancestry, and if any have a better gripe against the country it is Native Americans. Political correctness is a disease.

Jun 4, 2020, 12:43 AM

Not discounting the real struggles of AA’s, but the Native Americans by far faced the worst treatment of any group in our history. Nobody ever wants to bring them up though. Strange....

Jun 4, 2020, 12:18 PM

Good point!

Jun 4, 2020, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Now Cornell Powell is calling for buildings on campus to be renamed. ]

Recommending a vote for ROH post...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2020, 9:54 AM

I'm speaking of "I speak the truth" post.

Jun 4, 2020, 2:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Now Cornell Powell is calling for buildings on campus to be renamed. ]

Well spoken/typed.

Jun 4, 2020, 12:42 AM

Well I call for Powell to be replaced with a more talented receiver that can actually catch a football.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2020, 6:49 AM

I just looked up the history on Tillman Hall and Tillman himself. The building was originally named Main Building or Agricultural Building. If the building is going to be renamed, and I believe it will, it needs to go back to Main Building. Anything else is wrong.

Wont stop with this..

Jun 4, 2020, 7:20 AM

are they going to call for fort hill to be leveled? for the name clemson to be changed?

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

What were the buildings named when he chose to come to Clemson?***

Jun 4, 2020, 7:33 AM

I have an idea. How about everyone grow a friggin spine.

Jun 4, 2020, 7:36 AM

Expeditiously.

Re: I have an idea. How about everyone grow a friggin spine.

Jun 4, 2020, 9:58 AM

Lol, funny...yet true too.

Jun 4, 2020, 7:42 AM

There are many good reasons to rename the buildings and to leave them as they are now. But, if Tillman were renamed the R.C. and Louise Edwards Hall, my feelings would not be hurt. They were great individuals that guided us through and provided extraordinary leadership during major changes at Clemson.

Jun 4, 2020, 8:10 AM

He has a right to offer his opinion, but luckily it means very little.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jun 4, 2020, 8:17 AM

LETS just tear everything down and rename streets and buildings that make it pass the tear down phase. The pussification of America is continuing to grow.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This could get expensive.

Jun 4, 2020, 12:35 PM

What happens when we tear down a building and then build a new one with someone else’s name on it...and then we find out the new one is on the naughty list? Yikes.

Classy thread of the Tiger family eating its own over a

Jun 4, 2020, 8:24 AM

personal opinion.

Re: Classy thread of the Tiger family eating its own over a

Jun 4, 2020, 10:59 AM

Very true. Our fans love our players as long as they play well, and don't have any opinions that aren't the same as their own.

Debatable as to whether "our own" would wear the

Jun 4, 2020, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Classy thread of the Tiger family eating its own over a ]

opposing team's jersey to a home basketball game, while sitting in our student section, using a ticket he received for free.

Also debatable as to whether "our own" would post on social media calling for his own university's campus buildings to be renamed, rather than taking his concerns to the proper people on campus. To me, doing so publicly is disrespectful.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Debatable as to whether "our own" would wear the

Jun 4, 2020, 11:17 AM

Dabo seems to consider him as one of our own so that's good enough for me. He was given a scholarship at Clemson to play football, not to cheer for Clemson in all other sports. I probably wouldn't have worn the UNC gear the way he did, but I'm not going to disown the guy over something so silly either.

Who is disowning him?

Jun 4, 2020, 12:40 PM

I'm certainly not calling for him to be kicked off the team or have his scholarship revoked. I view him as a valuable member of our football team. But that doesn't mean that I don't have the right to be disappointed in his behavior.

Supporting someone doesn't require agreeing with everything they say or do.

Re: Who is disowning him?

Jun 4, 2020, 3:49 PM

Well your first statement said that it's debatable whether one of our own would do what he did. You didn't specifically say you were disowning him though. I wasn't actually saying that you were though, or really singling you out even though the reply was to something you said. I just didn't see the need for people to say he should transfer to UNC or attack his skills as a receiver over either his opinion in his tweet, or in wearing the UNC gear to the basketball game.

Re: Debatable as to whether "our own" would wear the

Jun 4, 2020, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Debatable as to whether "our own" would wear the ]

Judge, you're such a nice person, and stated that much better than I could have. For me, I'm just an ol' codger that doesn't put up with a lot of chit. I would have said something abrasive like "Ain't no dang building names gonna be changed, and if you didn't like it, you shouldn't have come here to start with". If you don't love or respect CLEMSON (or AMERICA), then get your butt out, and stay the heck out.

See how different we are, but yet I respect you and your perspective, which is more than I do for some.

unwad your panties ladies.....***

Jun 4, 2020, 9:50 AM

Jun 4, 2020, 9:57 AM

Think he needs to concentrate MORE on catching the frigging football and less time running his mouth and pulling for UNCheat.....definitely not one of my favorite Clemson players......Go Tigers!!!

Jun 4, 2020, 10:19 AM

Chill. He was being sarcastic.

Jun 4, 2020, 12:49 PM

Uh - he hasn't earned the right to do that. He's on probation in a lot of CLEMSON fans' minds (mine included).

Jun 4, 2020, 7:04 PM

Are you trying to deny rights to a black person right now lol? The man is free to speak his mind.

Jun 4, 2020, 11:03 AM

Wouldn't it be nice if someone like Powell could have an opinion on something, and those who disagree with him be able to just say they respectfully disagree instead of ripping him apart over not being a good receiver, and telling him to transfer somewhere else?

Jun 4, 2020, 11:07 AM

Agreed....
Kid has a right to speak his mind - he’s not doing so in a disrespectful way..

Jun 4, 2020, 11:16 AM

The Hollywood elites, Rich athletes, and other high profile people think what they say should be heard by all. That's just arrogant and egotistical. Like Dabo said I would not take criticism from someone I would not take advice from.

Jun 4, 2020, 12:34 PM

I guess I'm in the minority, but I've never seen the big deal about him wearing the UNC gear at the basketball game. It's not ideal, and not what most of us would do, but I never saw it as a reason to get upset at him either.

Just imagine if we were currently recruiting a high profile 4 or 5 star recruit in football that grew up a big UNC basketball fan. Let's say that player picked Clemson, and did an interview talking about growing up a UNC fan because of basketball, and mentioned that he would always be a UNC basketball fan, but felt Clemson was the better place for him to play football in order to compete for championships and give him a chance at the NFL. I don't think many on here would be suggesting that Dabo not accept his commitment.

His production at receiver so far hasn't been what many hoped, but I have no doubt that he's been giving it 110% out there because Dabo is always saying positive things about him. I can't hold that against him either. He's not the first, and won't be the last talented player to get caught back in the depth chart due to the high level of talent we have.

You would feel the same way if one of our basketball players

Jun 4, 2020, 12:41 PM

grew up a Georgia football fan, and showed up to our home game against Georgia wearing a bulldog jersey?

Honestly.

Re: You would feel the same way if one of our basketball players

Jun 4, 2020, 12:52 PM

LOL - the Judge is firing on all cylinders today. Better to just let this one die on the vine, or suffer death by a thousand cuts. Still LOL.

Re: You would feel the same way if one of our basketball players

Jun 4, 2020, 3:46 PM [ in reply to You would feel the same way if one of our basketball players ]

Not really. I realize that many fans would take issue with it, just as many did with Powell, but I don't see why it would bother me. What harm did it do? Would we have won that game had he worn Clemson gear or not gone to the game at all? Did we lose out on some high profile recruit that we otherwise would've gotten had he not worn the UNC gear?

If someone on the basketball team wants to wear gear for another school to a football game then why should I care? As long as he's filling his responsibilities as a student athlete then he can wear whatever he wants. I think sometimes we get too emotional as fans. If his teammates, fellow students, and coaches accept him as they appear to do, then why should any of us get so upset? Those people actually know him on personal basis unlike any of us.

It will happen. Practice radical acceptance.

Jun 4, 2020, 4:49 PM

Because it will happen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we name them buildings 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, would that offend

Jun 4, 2020, 5:05 PM

the numerically challenged?

And would the Sesame Count pay us for using his numbers? How do we get paid for buildings? How do we recognize the founders of our great University?

Replies: 74
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic