Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"Dear Annie"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

"Dear Annie"

Sep 3, 2018, 3:10 PM

DEAR ABBIE is an advice column in the Seneca Journal. Most of the topics relate to problems experienced by her readers. Some times the topics may border on what many of us would consider ridiculous.

Apparently, I missed the original letter from one of her readers who objected to being referred to as "elderly", "senior citizen", "aging" or any word indicating anyone of "advanced years". A later column contained responses to the earlier letter, several of whom also objected to being classified by those terms. Being in the age range of the above referenced terms, if I had rendered a response, I would have recommended those people to get a life. It appears to me so many of us spend our time finding things which offend us.

Over the year I have learned several things I believe to be true and readily admit I have forgotten much more. Some times it takes me a moment or two to remember what "old man" Pythagrous tried to pass along to me in a math class (wasn't it something about a hippopotamus?) but i firmly believe that ATTITUDE is one of the most important characteristics we need for a full and happy life.

I've often been asked "to what do I attribute to my longevity" and being a pompous donkey, I usually said if was due to my never having committed a sin. Then one day different words popped out of my mouth, "I haven't had a bad day in my life but I've had many days that were not as good as others".

Later on, I got to thinking, how can a day when you lose a loved one not be a bad day? And then it struck me like a bat beside my head. Family, friends and even strangers offered words of comfort. Some placed heir hands on my sholders and some gripped my hand in a manner that no words can convey. There were hugs and shared tears. Simple acts such as this can make any day brighter and we have seen it here on this board.

I suppose what I am trying to convey is this, don't let things of an insignificant nature destroy what can be a wonderful and rewarding life. If you feel offended, brush it off and move on. Life is too short to harbor ill will. A good laugh will always wipe away anger.

Today is one of those special days for me. This would have been our 71st. wedding anniversary, but I tend to focus on those memories of almost 66 years we were together. The sun still shines and always will.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said, Joe!!***

Sep 3, 2018, 3:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Dear Annie"

Sep 3, 2018, 3:18 PM

Joe, you inspire others with your words of wisdom and stories. You are a national hero and we are all blessed to have you be a small part of our lives. We are proud of you sir and we are sure your wife would be proud of you as well. Happy Anneversary!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2018, 3:21 PM

THIS

Sep 3, 2018, 3:23 PM

My sour grapes just turned into a nice cup of wine. Thank you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2018, 3:32 PM

Always enjoy your stories Mr. C. Mary had to be a special person.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats JoE to you & your Wonderful Bride Today!

Sep 3, 2018, 5:58 PM

For having 65+ years of a strong loving relationship in person with your fine Lady..

and 71 years in the heart, mind & soul..StiLL! ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2018, 6:28 PM

Thanks, Joe - you give me hope. My wife of 47 years died 10 months ago. I do hope that I can someday show a positive attitude to the world every day.

Sep 3, 2018, 6:36 PM

I don't know you, but I feel that I know you after that post. What a great post.

Sep 3, 2018, 10:18 PM

God Bless You, Joe... this is a late reply, it's that time of night, again, but your post may have just saved my life. Thank you.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic