Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: The Sideline Report: What we're hearing after two weeks of camp
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

New Story: The Sideline Report: What we're hearing after two weeks of camp

Aug 14, 2017, 7:01 AM

The Sideline Report: What we're hearing after two weeks of camp

The Clemson football team started fall practice with most of the campus empty, but the students arrive this week, thousands of fans will descend on Death Valley next Sunday for fan day and even more people will arrive to witness next Monday’s eclipse. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: The Sideline Report: What we're hearing after two weeks of camp

Aug 14, 2017, 7:17 AM

Great article! Hopefully this will calm some people down and stop people from reading too much into interviews. I try not to speculate too much about something I haven't had a chance to see for myself. I just know this is an extremely talented team and hopefully the little things will fall in our favor to make another playoff run. These guys are capable of doing it if the chemistry, execution and leadership comes together for them. Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2017, 7:36 AM

Better to say nothing. This sounds like the same drip drip that less to Stoudt.

Aug 14, 2017, 8:21 AM
image.jpg(51.9 K)

Aug 14, 2017, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The Sideline Report: What we're hearing after two weeks of camp ]

Speculation most of the time will create more unanswered questions than questions answered.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2017, 4:25 PM

You're a wise man.

Thanks David, we are an impatient bunch

Aug 14, 2017, 7:20 AM

We want to read into the reports but we all should realize that we don't want our opponents to know our weaknesses or strengths either.

Again thank you for explaining how your information comes from camp after scrimmages.

I can't wait until the season, thanks for setting us at ease we will win all our games!??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Aug 14, 2017, 7:23 AM

@Tiger Michael Isn't gonna like this...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2017, 7:16 PM

I believe you mean Coot Michael..

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A few good points made...

Aug 14, 2017, 7:27 AM

but when and who expected KB to be at a different position by now? I never saw or read this. I always saw and read that he was in the thick of the battle for QB and was frontrunner, since spring.

Re: A few good points made...

Aug 14, 2017, 7:46 AM

I know I have mentioned that I would love to see him run the Jet Sweep a couple of times, with someone else as the QB on those plays. I think he would be almost unstoppable on those plays. He could still be the starting QB, but I just want to see if anyone can stop that play. If KB gets that one key block, I think he takes it to the EZ.

Somewhat like our Jumbo Package, I want to see if anyone can stop that play too.

Aug 14, 2017, 7:47 AM [ in reply to A few good points made... ]

Some posters have been looking for a new QB since DW. Some have decided it is next year's freshman, they love stars! Others have decided KB is not good enough. They are fans that would have run Kevin Doddand BJ goodson off before their junior year, obvious that they were not good enough. I love our team including coaches , and they have not disappointed me yet.

Aug 14, 2017, 8:09 AM [ in reply to A few good points made... ]

> but when and who expected KB to be at a different
> position by now? I never saw or read this. I always
> saw and read that he was in the thick of the battle
> for QB and was frontrunner, since spring.

Have you not read the board over the weekend?

Aug 14, 2017, 7:34 AM

Thanks for the update David. You know what they say Defense wins Championships.

Aug 14, 2017, 7:37 AM

Defense gets tired

Jul 20, 2011, 12:46 PM

Not when teams have the talent Clemson has and rotate out constantly.

Aug 14, 2017, 7:54 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The Sideline Report: What we're hearing after two weeks of camp ]

The coots must have gotten tired in the first quarter last year and the rest of the game they just looked plain dead.

Or, in chicken language, they were #SpursUp***

Aug 14, 2017, 8:29 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not with our D depth, you must be thinking of coot d***

Aug 14, 2017, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The Sideline Report: What we're hearing after two weeks of camp ]

Aug 15, 2017, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The Sideline Report: What we're hearing after two weeks of camp ]

I guess with yore speculation about how our offense will perform with KB, and with how national pundits think our defense will perform, we'll be playing or games between the 2 forty yard lines. Or do you really think our opponents owill push us around. You do know that we are allowed to play 10 additional players on offense as well as KB. And we're allowed to substitute.

lol...somewhat sane

Aug 14, 2017, 7:48 AM

That's a high expectation! Good article

Re: lol...somewhat sane

Aug 14, 2017, 8:18 AM

I know I am totally insane and My Clemson family is going to have to deal with it ??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One Word I Heard Was NASTY

Aug 14, 2017, 8:04 AM

So, a friend of mine has been at a couple of practices. His one comment was "NASTY" in reference to both lines of scrimmage. If that is the case, KB and the running back, whoever they are, will be just fine. Go Tigers!

Re: One Word I Heard Was NASTY

Aug 14, 2017, 8:16 AM

I thought "NASTY" wasa very visible attribute of the secondary during the spring game.

Aug 14, 2017, 8:06 AM

Thanks DHood, good read, especially by touching on the positions where we lost key starters - and have all been 'fretting' over. I also like your upbeat assessment and thank you for sharing your optimism, it is contagious!

PS: Silvocati, I don't have links to provide, however, the 'talk' of (the possibility or 'wisdom' of) switching Kelly Bryant to another position has been ongoing for at least a year, albeit never by our coaching staff. Those guys aren't nearly as smart as we are here on tnet, and need all the advice we can give them..... ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

What's not the same???

Aug 14, 2017, 9:49 AM

When you say it's not the same situation regarding the QB position as Stoudt/Watson, is that because Deshaun was clearly more ready to take over the starting role as the backup than any of the 3 (Cooper, Johnson, Brice) we currently have behind Bryant?

I'm not trying to argue with your statement and trust the coaches, but here is what WILL happen if we lose in September due to lower offensive output and Bryant is left in the game because he does in fact make less mistakes (I don't expect our defense to regress so that would likely be the case). Fans are going to complain because we didn't put in the other 4/5* backup who is "clearly better" - based on ??? Then there will be the comments that KB has had the same amount of time as Stoudt to learn the system (and better tutelage under DW), and if he doesn't have it now, it's time to get our 4/5*QB of the future ready NOW. And people will say that backup X doesn't have to show he is as good as DW was in his first year, he just has to show he has more potential than KB to provide a better chance of winning (exactly what Deshaun did his first year).

So again, I'm in agreement our coaches know best how to handle this situation WAY better than us simple fans reading articles and watching post-practice clips. But would ask you expound on your statement of what is different in case this scenario arises. Is the situation more circumstantial around our chances of getting to the playoffs again this year with the more complete team and the QB who makes the least mistakes will get us there?... just curious.

Re: What's not the same???

Aug 14, 2017, 10:13 AM

It seems similar because there hasnt been a clear leader. While they say Bryant improved, Israel, now out of commission looked better in spring, there is a freshman who people sem to indicate might be the best overall athlete. Whats not the same is Kelly is not Stoudt. He's not playing with a hurt shoulder.

Its different because Kelly is different and Hunter is different. I think a lot of people have concerns because when we would play he appeared to be a run first guy who good teams could make one dimensional, however, our offensive talent...especially the Oline is much better, therefore situation is much different

Yeah, what you said plus...

Aug 14, 2017, 11:07 AM [ in reply to What's not the same??? ]

I think it is different, because of the situation where KB has been in the system long enough to be super confident in what he is doing, and that the younger guys are still progressing. But, I also think that this situation is different because of the coaching situation this year vs. back in '14.

If you remember this was the year "The Chad" was our OC and left at the end of the regular season. ScElliot both took over the offense in preparation for the Russell Athletic Bowl against Okla. And with DW4 out, Cole came in and basically eviscerated the Oklahomo secondary with a good deal of help from our running game and defense (gee that sounds a little familiar).

Elliot said in a preseason interview this summer (can't remember where) that they (offensive coaches) tailor an offense based on what the pieces and parts of the offense do well, this is what they did with Cole Stout in the bowl game in '14. While "The Chad", as good as he was, a lot of times kept trying to force a square peg into a round hole (which he did numerous times while our offensive coordinator). So in short there are a hundred different variables than last time.

And folks seem to forget, DW didn't even participate in spring practice

Aug 14, 2017, 10:04 PM

prior to his freshman season, so naturally, he was brought along more slowly. That's the biggest difference between then and now. Cooper has been here over a year, and HJ participated in spring practice. So, either of those two have much more experience than DW did, going into his frosh season.

Aug 14, 2017, 2:43 PM [ in reply to What's not the same??? ]

My sense is that no one we have right now is as good as DW4, but they are definitely better than Cole was in 2014. KB is a much greater runner than Cole was. Throwing the ball? I don't remember Cole ever lighting it up other than the bowl win over the Okies. Hunter is probably a better passer than Cole, maybe evn a better runner. And our O-Line is better right now. This is a better offense than the 2014 version. Definitely better in the run game. Throw in a dominant defense and things are looking good.

Aug 14, 2017, 6:01 PM

I agree. Our expectations of finding a DW4 replacement may come with disappointment. Deshaun is Deshaun. KB is KB and Hunter is Hunter. We shouldn't expect to see the same.

What we need to see if an efficient QB, who makes good decisions, can create opportunities, keep a rhythm and keep drives alive. If that is with KB or Hunter, so be it. I'm sure the coaches will tailor the offense specifically around each QB to leverage their strengths and whichever proves more successful will ultimately gain the start. I don't care if it is by way of scrambling or pocket-passing. As long as we score and come away with W's.

David , I noticed that there was no mention of Dexter Lawrence

Aug 14, 2017, 10:34 AM

Can we safely assume then , that Big Dex may not be our DL starter come the Kent State game ...and if not then will it be Alex Spence like the rumor mill has it right now ?

I'll hang up and glisten .

DB23

Re: David , I noticed that there was no mention of Dexter Lawrence

Aug 14, 2017, 11:17 AM

You're a legend for a reason:)

Ridiculous_But Christian as KICK holder is a real possibilty

Aug 14, 2017, 2:35 PM [ in reply to David , I noticed that there was no mention of Dexter Lawrence ]

seeing how there are several trick plays from that formation.

Aug 14, 2017, 11:26 AM

davidhood® when you say that this qb battle is completely different than Stoudt/Watson. Are you saying that's because KB is so much better than Stoudt was or are you saying that the other qbs are nowhere close to where Watson was?

Aug 14, 2017, 5:48 PM

Maybe because Stoudt had experience and DW didn't. You can't say that about this year's bunch. It's a different situation and questioning who is the starter is probably too early to answer until each of the QB's perform in a real game.

So are they letting KB throw passes downfield?

Aug 14, 2017, 11:58 AM

And is he connecting on them?

TIA

Thank you Chef Hood. Another entree of delicious nuggets and tidbits!***

Aug 14, 2017, 12:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DHood, so your saying that Renfrow

Aug 14, 2017, 2:33 PM

isn't starting this year? What's up with that? Is he sick, broke leg....for the love of god man, what is going on with Hunter Renfrow????

Re: DHood, so your saying that Renfrow

Aug 14, 2017, 4:28 PM

I've never seen anything to indicate that Bryant can lead a

Aug 14, 2017, 4:21 PM

passing attack. If he's the best that doesn't say much for the others. We may have a one dimensional offense vs Auburn and their hot shot transfer. Who would have thought all the Baylor troubles would have a direct negative impact on us. But the way our running game goes, if we don't have a passing attack, we may have a zero dimensional offense for that game.

We are going to need to score points. As good as our defense is, they will give up points to a confident passer. That was the case last year.

Re: I've never seen anything to indicate that Bryant can lead a

Aug 14, 2017, 9:39 PM

Just remember, none of us get to see what the coaches see in practice.

Reports Reports Reports.

Aug 14, 2017, 11:27 PM

The only reports we need are the ones that appear on the scoreboard over the East endzone about one second after the game ends.....I think there are twelve of them??????

The only reports that count.

Aug 15, 2017, 5:39 AM

Outstanding post, David. You were spot on!!

Thanks
DUFFER

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Max QB pressure - next man up

Aug 15, 2017, 8:28 PM

This year's team has an opportunity on paper to be better than the 2016 Natl Championship team. Recruiting has been phenomenal. The D-Line is the nation's best, IMHO the LB and DB's have more range and potential, Milan will bring it at TE with outstanding blocking and pass catching, the O-Line is rated among the nation's best, the RB's are outstanding and deep, and we will miss M. Williams but the WR talent including Cain and Renfrow is proven. Folks are uptight about the QB position because the talent is in place to repeat. The schedule is as good or better than 2016 with home games vs. Auburn and FSU. Vegas could favor Clemson in all games if we get on a roll. (Right now Clemson is favored over Auburn and FSU and a slight underdog on the road to Louisville). So it all comes down to the QB position. And to say D. Watson's skills and quiet leadership will be missed is a huge understatement. So that's a lot of pressure on the QB position, and Dabo and coaches understand it and are doing their best to mitigate it. The pressure will be massive. How will each of these QB's stand up under the pressure? This is unknowable until it happens on the field even by our excellent coaches. And that's why they play the game. Next man up. And 99% of those on this board (minus the stealth chickens) will be pulling hard for whatever QB Clemson puts on the field. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic