Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Darius Robinson v. NCAA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Darius Robinson v. NCAA

Jul 18, 2013, 10:16 PM

According to Andy Staples of SI, Darius Robinson has joined the O'Bannon suit against the NCAA.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Money Hungry***

Jul 18, 2013, 10:19 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

It might be a little early to say that

Jul 18, 2013, 10:25 PM

I don't know enough about the lawsuit to give an informed opinion, but I don't think it's overly greedy. Beyond that, I know nothing about his, or any other plaintiff's, family and financial situation.

They want a check like many other people in this country***

Jul 18, 2013, 10:27 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Perhaps they deserve it******

Jul 18, 2013, 10:33 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2013_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All of us deserve a lot of things***

Jul 18, 2013, 10:37 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Y'all are a bunch of commies.***

Jul 19, 2013, 7:39 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I would imagine almost everyone wants a check

Jul 18, 2013, 10:46 PM [ in reply to They want a check like many other people in this country*** ]

generally, if you work you deserve to get paid.

The issue is whether they get paid for what they bargained for already with their scholarship. But don't act like it's wrong to make money.

I can only imagine the trauma of playing a video game and

Jul 18, 2013, 10:57 PM

seeing the likeness of youself b/c you were good enough to play for a major university when most could only dream of having that kind of talent. They must have it rough with going to a university for free and having free tutors to help them with all their classes, and free meals, free room & board at the nicest apartments on campus, getting treated better than any other student on campus. They must be basket cases

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Re: I can only imagine the trauma of playing a video game and

Jul 18, 2013, 10:59 PM

Does something have to be traumatic for you to make money from it? That's a bit of a non-sequitur.

Re: I can only imagine the trauma of playing a video game and

Jul 18, 2013, 11:05 PM

It's about as illogical as thinking they deserve money b/c there is a video game figure has their "likeness" . I have known many college football players that thought it was awesome they could play a video game with someone that resembled them.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

This is purely a legal question

Jul 19, 2013, 12:22 AM

No company can make money off your likeness without your consent. The only real question is whether they signed over that consent in exchange for their scholarship. Honestly, I'd guess they probably did as part of the clause that the school could use their likeness in marketing the program. But, I admittedly do not know that to be sure.

However, wanting to control how your likeness is used by a company who seeks to make money from your likeness isn't greedy, it's simply wishing for the law to be upheld.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are an example of what's wrong with this country today***

Jul 19, 2013, 1:37 AM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Not that I particularly feel like arguing tonight

Jul 19, 2013, 1:43 AM

But out of curiosity, how so?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Arguing with the uninformed bro. Don't waste your breath.

Jul 19, 2013, 2:39 AM

Contracts, property, and rights don't seem to play a part in his argument.

Message was edited by: MSTiger02®

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Probably has to do with political correctness and not using

Jul 19, 2013, 7:46 AM [ in reply to Not that I particularly feel like arguing tonight ]

common sense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Common sense is that the law applies to them

Jul 19, 2013, 10:25 AM

Just as it does to every one of us.

Now, they may very well have signed away the rights to their likeness in the context of college football by signing their scholarship papers. But that is a question of contract.

I'm not sure where you think PC enters into the equation. Quite simply we have laws which say a person can't make a profit from another person's likeness without their consent. That applies to you, me, actors, musicians, athletes, and everyone else.

It simply boils down to whether they agreed to have their likeness used (or whether legally the courts see their stats/general appearance/position as amounting to their likeness).

Right back at you***

Jul 19, 2013, 2:50 PM [ in reply to You are an example of what's wrong with this country today*** ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get your head out of the clouds. Not a single one of

Jul 19, 2013, 7:46 AM [ in reply to This is purely a legal question ]

the plaintiffs in this case are saying "I just want the law to be upheld."

This is a matter of greed, plain and simple.

At what point do you believe laws should no longer apply?

Jul 19, 2013, 10:27 AM

In a country of laws, it is not automatically greed to ask for the protections the law provides.

non-sequitor?.....Nah, man...I'm a Presbyterian***

Jul 19, 2013, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Re: I can only imagine the trauma of playing a video game and ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't forget the free clothes. You wouldn't believe the

Jul 19, 2013, 7:44 AM [ in reply to I can only imagine the trauma of playing a video game and ]

amount of Nike clothing they get.

THEY'RE GETTING A FREE EDUCATION.

Jul 19, 2013, 7:42 AM [ in reply to I would imagine almost everyone wants a check ]

Also, no one's making them play college ball. They do it for one of the following reasons:
Love of the game
To earn a scholarship
To possibly play at the next level

You put in the amount of work these guys have every

Jul 19, 2013, 8:51 AM

summer since before they were teenagers, and through high school, and then in college and then tell me it's free.

I hate the free education argument. It is usually used by people who weren't on a full scholarship and didn't understand how much a person with a full ride worked to get it, whether it be an athletic scholarship or academic scholarship.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Darius Robinson v. NCAA

Jul 18, 2013, 10:41 PM

they didn't ask to use my likeness in the stands, I want in on this...

Crump <3 $EC

waffle

Jul 18, 2013, 10:45 PM

funny you say that. I bought a framed picture of a game several years ago. I got to looking at it and thought that's my view from where I sit. Low and behold,, there I was. That man made money off me and never got permission from me or anybody else. How dare he! I should sue him!

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

With the right counsel you might have a case.

Jul 19, 2013, 7:47 AM

Our society sucks sometimes.

I have to be that guy.

Jul 19, 2013, 9:07 AM [ in reply to waffle ]

There is no no "w" in Lo.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know your kidding about your likeness being in the game

Jul 19, 2013, 12:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Darius Robinson v. NCAA ]

But you did agree to your likeness being used in coverage of the games you attend by purchasing and using the tickets. Its in the license description on the back of the ticket.

I know you know the difference between you're and your

Jul 19, 2013, 7:49 AM

;)

I do. Simply late and made a mistake.

Jul 19, 2013, 11:57 AM

But point for catching it.

Tiger Thom

Jul 19, 2013, 1:08 PM

I apologize for the negative comments towards you. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and we will just have to agree to disagree sir.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Sure thing. Apology accepted.

Jul 19, 2013, 4:19 PM

Appreciate it. Sane folks can disagree.

Let him pay for school and his own tutoring

Jul 18, 2013, 11:03 PM

Then pay them. Won't be close to cost of these things.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Rugby is back on top.
Dailypaul.com

As a former student athlete at Clemson....

Jul 19, 2013, 9:14 AM

I can tell you from direct first hand experience, scholarships do not cover all the costs or expenses associated with being a typical college student and if you think they do, you are either incredibly naive or terribly misinformed.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jul 18, 2013, 11:15 PM

Could the NCAA pay Darius Robinson, then declare him ineligible for accepting money as a player? Technically, it would take away his amateur status.

Jul 18, 2013, 11:19 PM

That is a good point. In a weird way it is almost like suing your head boss and then expecting him/her not to fire you.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Jul 19, 2013, 7:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Darius Robinson v. NCAA ]

> Could the NCAA pay Darius Robinson, then declare him
> ineligible for accepting money as a player?
> Technically, it would take away his amateur status.

...and the logical conclusion to the ridiculous thought is complete. Darius won't have to worry about anyone resembling his likeness because he either received money making him ineligible or he has his head in the wrong place meaning that he either won't play or won't be on the team for long. Then, he won't have a likeness to worry about because there won't be one to resemble on the field.

Jul 19, 2013, 12:24 AM

In my opinion, the only thing this tells us is something most of us already knew. Darius's head just isn't in the right place. He has all the talent in the world, but his mental focus just hasn't been there. Unfortunately, I don't see this changing. Focus on learning the play book and some hip drills so you won't get burnt everytime you're one the field, and be grateful you got the opportunity to not only attend Clemson, but play football! Do your job and the ROI for your time will be well worth it. So many people would give their left nut for that chance.

Off my soapbox.

Re: Darius Robinson v. NCAA---Link

Jul 19, 2013, 1:36 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130719/current-players-obannon-ncaa/?sct=hp_t13_a3&eref=sihp

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love Come Back Song and Wagon Wheel!***

Jul 19, 2013, 3:23 PM

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic