Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dargest Day
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Dargest Day

Jun 3, 2012, 7:48 PM

The Darkest Day in Clemson Athletics was the day Terry Don Phillips took over as AD. Say what you want, but he has ruined our dominance over USC/Columbia Jr. College in all sports. I can remember when looking at the football and basketball schedules and counting them as sure wins............ Now.. they own us. If it were just one sport, you could point to that one coach.... but it is not. Problems start at the top and role down.......... Get rid of TDP and put a priority back on beating our arch rivals.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dargest Day

Jun 3, 2012, 7:53 PM

You, my friend, are an Idiot!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2012, 8:00 PM

You are not my fried... Started the DAY he arrived and lied about the money in the budget.. contiuned when he failed to be at the GT game day when GAME DAY was there for homecoming (He is the AD, and football is king). Never supports his coaches... Had NO CLUE OP was leaving and was totally not prepared to hire a basketball coach because he had no short list. Of course, when his job was on the line not too long ago he was able to outsmart the BOT and the president.

but if you are satisfied with losing to the gamecocks in EVERYTHING.. then i am the idiot.. IF not, you are the idiot.

Jun 3, 2012, 7:59 PM

He has been behind more upgrades than Bobby Robinson ever dreamed of.

Jun 3, 2012, 8:05 PM

He lied about the upgrade you fool.. the upgrades were in the work when Bobby left. TDP came in and CHANGED the upgrades... Initinally the upgrades in the west end zone was to have a family zone up top along with a hotel.... TDP, changed this and made what we have today and increased the cost. then came back and said the university lied to him about funds.

dont forget TDP wanting to stop fans from leaving at the half, stop fams from going onto the field, stop alcohol at tailgates, etc.

I will give him credit for one thing.. we made money last year. He did do that. FSU lost money. Of course FSU has beat Florida two years in a row in football.

Jun 3, 2012, 8:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Dargest Day ]

I think the problems go higher than that. I would start at Barker. We are paying for sins that occurred years ago. Lack of stewardship will always bite you in the a$$ down the road. Whether it is lack of stewardship of the ACC or Clemson. And both are huge problem and have been mismanaged. I wrote Barker an e-mail 7 years ago letting him know this very thing. Basically I told him that their lack of stewardship over athletics was going to cost us dearly and that he would spend more money trying to get it back down the road than he would have had we been on top of our game from the start. His only response was the teams were working hard. Thanks Jim, I was interested in hearing you were working hard to make sure they had the support they needed. He whiffed as the leader of the university and a leader in the conference.

Guess what we are spending out the wazzoo now and the piece meal spending will continue. And guess what...we ain't getting it back. Mainly because we are half a$$ing it in phases. We get a little more serious each time, but unfortunately we have already lost the street cred. You can only be a pretender so many times before people label you poser. And we are a poser just like the Gamecocks used to be. We should have been all in from the get go. By get go I mean back at the turn of the century. Oh well just sit back and watch the train wreck as it continues and it is going to continue for all Clemson sports unfortunately. Get used to it if you aren't already.

Jun 3, 2012, 8:28 PM

You hit the nail on the head! Very well said. This started a while ago when the emphasis was put on the Top 20 junk and we put in place anti athletic policies to help try and achieve a goal that means nothing to the vast majority of the people in the world. I will celebrate no harder than the day Mr. Barker decides that he has done all of the damage he can do to our once proud institution.

Agree...Barker is the problem.

Jun 3, 2012, 8:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Dargest Day ]

Are becoming Vandybon the fields...will never be Vandy in the classroom.

My sources tell me the BOT would get rid of him, but Barker

Jun 3, 2012, 8:05 PM

is the only one that can fire him.

Re: My sources tell me the BOT would get rid of him, but Barker

Jun 3, 2012, 8:07 PM

I thought the president answered to the BOT.. I know the BOT wanted him gone, but something happened in the meeting that kept him. I can tell you on a personal note he is very abrasive. That is fine. i dont care as long as we beat the chickens. But when we consistenly lose to them in every sport... geez....

Jun 3, 2012, 8:20 PM

It drives me nuts when people come on this board and blame coaches, ad's, presidents, girlfriends, and my dead grandmother for things that happen on the field of play. Players play the game. Players win games. Players lose games. That's the way it is. If we want to beat Carolina, then we have to play the game better. No matter the sport!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2012, 8:27 PM

i suppose you are correct.. no changes are needed

Jun 3, 2012, 8:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Dargest Day ]

Yeah because the people making decisions don't have any impact on the direction of the program, right? They don't have control over putting priority on making sure coaches have what they need to do their job, upgrading facilities to help recruiting, hiring good coaches to begin with, etc. Clemson has screwed around for years missing opportunity after opportunity to build their athletic program many times. They were milking the cash cow and now it is bitting them in the ### and will continue to bite them in the ###. Watch them continue to open the wallet. Don't take my word for it, just sit back and watch. 1.3 mil for an OC, 800K for a DC, finally getting around to an indoor practice facility, eventually getting a S&C coach that is up to date is probably next. We will continue to piece meal it together, then by the time we get the last piece we will need to start over because we will be behind again. Lots of money to be wasted trying to get back on top and we will whiff horribly. And at a certain point they will pull back on the spending because they will realize they can't afford to chase it...they missed the opportunity. Your beloved leaders of this fine university..... They missed it. Pffft, swing and a miss.

Do you not think that coaches and AD leadership...

Jun 3, 2012, 8:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Dargest Day ]

have an impact on what happens on the field? If they don't have any impact, then does it matter who the AD is, or who the coaches are?

You, my friend, seem a little short sighted, or perhaps just naive. Nonetheless, Jack Leggett isn't going anywhere in the near future. Things are going to be the same at Clemson for awhile unless he can get some better assistant coaches to help him out.

As for football, we had an idiot for a defensive coordinator, and thankfully Dabo finally got rid of him after a disastrous embarrassment in our first BCS bowl game. Hopefully the new guy knows something about coaching defense at this level. Dabo hired Steele, and Steele failed. Dabo takes some responsibility for that, right? Or was it all just the players on the field, and neither Dabo nor that idiot Steele had anything to do with it?

Geez...

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another fine example of Pumper logic. Thanks!***

Jun 3, 2012, 8:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Dargest Day ]

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic