Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dan Scott Blog Extra: Random Thoughts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Oct 8, 2007, 9:19 PM

Trying to shake the cobwebs out of a frazzled mind. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I find it somewhat ironically humorous that CTB gets bashed

Oct 8, 2007, 9:57 PM

for not taking ownership . . . and in a kinda round about way, Dan, you point that out: "Listening to Tommy Bowden say the Tigers "can't work any longer or harder" on special teams doesn't really sit well. I would think I could find extra time somewhere if I were having such troubles."

And then, in your chosen profession, you clearly state that CTB called the fan base "militant". And all you can muster is: "Sometimes the quick notes need a bit more clarity to them. I'll work on that." a day and a half after it has widely been accepted as the gospel that Tommy said it.

Probably just me, but those sound very similar to me.

Coach Bowden did NOT call the fan base militant...

Oct 8, 2007, 10:06 PM

a reporter did and coach Bowden repeated the question for clarification. However, after the virtual lynch mob that shows up on here after every loss, the characterization may not be too far from accurate.

Ummm, that's exactly what he just said.

Oct 8, 2007, 10:09 PM

He was criticizing some posters for latching onto the "militant" comment when it was the reporter's words, and not Coach Bowden's.

You may want to re-read his post.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure I said it well, but you got my point. Thanks

Oct 8, 2007, 10:20 PM

tomerafan !

actually

Oct 8, 2007, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Coach Bowden did NOT call the fan base militant... ]

TECHNICALLY he did call the fan base that. granted he was repeating a question but since you like to get technical. TECHNICALLY he did call us that

The Confederate flag is not racist. If you would like to hate a flag based on racist actions that took place under it, perhaps you should focus your energy on the American Flag.
before any of you criticize my sig, please understand the facts

Re: actually

Oct 8, 2007, 10:37 PM

Technically...he didn't. Can we drop the issue now? or is there something else people want to lie about?

Oct 9, 2007, 7:45 PM [ in reply to actually ]

nice flag. typical southerner, i have black friends redneck that drops the "n" bomb behind closed doors with his white friends. that flag has way too much hate behind it and far too many poor represenatives that support it. the harm it does is not worth the "historical" value. and FIRE TOMMY NOW!

Best post I've ever read.***

Oct 10, 2007, 5:35 PM

Oct 12, 2007, 11:41 PM [ in reply to Re: actually ]

Again....
you need a history lesson!

Re: Dan Scott Blog Extra: Random Thoughts

Oct 8, 2007, 9:59 PM

Dan,
I don't think any Clemson fan in their RIGHT mind would want Bowden fired today. He absolutely has to finish out the season but the fact is that we are essentially guaranteed not to have a chance to compete in the ACC championship game unless BC implodes. This is unacceptable after nine seasons under Bowden. Tiger fans are tired of 7-4 and 8-5 and a lot of excuses and inconsistency. If only we could correct the problems that plague our team year in and year out, Bowden would be the golden boy. I love the recruiting, the graduation rate and the fact that our players for the most part behave and aren't thugs. However, you have to find a way to turn the corner and he's had only one season with less than four losses. Not good enough anymore.

You forgot to mention that....

Oct 9, 2007, 10:47 AM

the only year that Bowden had 9 wins was the year his offensive coordinator was Rich Rodriquez, the current Head Coach at West Virginia.

Re: You forgot to mention that....

Oct 9, 2007, 10:52 AM

no, we had 9 wins in 2003 also and Rod Rich was gone then.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But we also played one more regular season game***

Oct 9, 2007, 3:09 PM

Exactly! TB's a great guy. But 8-5 with 3-4 cupcakes is bad****

Oct 9, 2007, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Dan Scott Blog Extra: Random Thoughts ]

No kidding Dan OP will give you a TB break***

Oct 8, 2007, 10:00 PM

Oct 8, 2007, 10:12 PM

Tommy needs big help! He's not learning from his teams errors, or he would be making big adjustments. We fans don't want to see the same thing week after week. If he wants to save his tiger tail, he better start making big changes quickly. From the Post & Courier in Charleston, SC. Tommy Bowden told reporters that in his first seven seasons, Clemson didn't have a punt or field goal blocked and didn't allow a kickoff return for a touchdown. Bowden was wrong, according to The Post and Courier of Charleston, S.C. In fact, the Tigers had 12 punts blocked, five field goals blocked and three of their kickoffs returned for touchdowns during that span, the paper reported. Tommy sure has a bad memory!

Je me souviens...

Oct 8, 2007, 10:24 PM

As they say in Quebec.

Oct 9, 2007, 7:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Dan Scott Blog Extra: Random Thoughts ]

Players make (or miss) tackles...special teams is about heart, not coaching - Look at a guy like Chris Wade. Not talented enough to get in the game even against our Division I-AA oponents, but one heck of a special teams player. I am not suggesting we go after players, but Tommy didn't have any missed tackles or 30 incompletions last time I checked.

Outstanding Point Cookster22***

Oct 9, 2007, 9:55 AM

Coaches not responsible for perennial poor play? Wow!****

Oct 9, 2007, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Dan Scott Blog Extra: Random Thoughts ]

Oct 9, 2007, 7:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Dan Scott Blog Extra: Random Thoughts ]

all of it is his job. other coaches have their programs ready to play and we will be 8-4 forever under his leadership

Oct 11, 2007, 2:38 PM

What other coaches? You can't point to one person in the world of college football who's team hasn't played poorly at least once this year - certainly not if you look back 2 years.

Bowden (and everyone else) seems to focus on the TIME

Oct 9, 2007, 8:26 AM

spent on special teams in practice......has it ever occured to anyone that it isn't the amount of practice time they spend on it isn't the problem, that what they are DOING during that practice time is the problem?

The time issue is something that everyone faces in the workplace....some people like to brag (and some bosses like it too) on how much time they spend working during a given week. Well, maybe it took so long because of inefficiency.

Agree 100%, it's ridiculous for people to want or even

Oct 9, 2007, 9:01 AM

think about firing TB now before the season is over. He has done such a good job in representing Clemson and changing our perception on and off the field (especially off the field). We are only half way through the season, alot can happen between now and then. Let TDP worry about all that and lets continue to support who is coaching now and see what happens.

Re: Agree 100%, it's ridiculous for people to want or even

Oct 9, 2007, 7:50 PM

playing nice and being sweet doesn't pack the stands, wins do. winning is what matters

Oct 10, 2007, 1:58 AM

Highest season tickets sales in Clemson history.

Oct 10, 2007, 10:18 AM

keep losing and see where they go. you can be happy with 8-4, I'm not

He was real classy when we lost a bowl to a Brawl with USC

Oct 9, 2007, 9:48 AM

Bowden is not the perfect off the field coach you might think he is.

Oct 9, 2007, 9:52 AM

We're in the same boat as Florida. Georgia Tech was our Auburn and Virginia Tech was our LSU. Am I wrong here? Virginia Tech is a really good team, and things just got out of hand very early on. The second half, to me, was exciting as h---! Look at it this way: If we win out, would you consider that a great season? Or better yet, would you consider your season ticket a great investment? I know I would. This week, however, I'm pulling for the ACC....Go Heels.

If Va. Tech was our LSU...then

Oct 9, 2007, 9:54 AM

what was LSU to Va. Tech......New England Patriots

more like the Colts***

Oct 9, 2007, 1:03 PM

Photobucket

Re: If Va. Tech was our LSU...then

Oct 10, 2007, 3:27 PM [ in reply to If Va. Tech was our LSU...then ]

I agree 100%. VA Tech is year in and year out a good school. But that is not to be confused with a GREAT school. Clemson out played them on every single side of the ball with the exception of special teams. The game was a complete heartbreak (as usual) but, our offensive numbers were MUCH higher. Our defense was far superior. Take away the lucky breaks for Tech and we won that game. But, the fact remains...we lost. And when you calculate how horrifically LSU demolished Tech, labeled as a "good team", where does that leave us?? Less that mediocre it would seem. Stats don't matter, the scoreboard does. I am still of the opinion the majority of the coaching problem is Brad Scott. If our offensive line could block well enough for us to put up the numbers to account for the "lucky breaks" that the other team always seems to recieve, then we might pull a few big wins out here and there. Work on special teams all you want, if we can't get our star running backs some holes to run through we can't win championships, lucky breaks or not.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not even a comparison to Florida

Oct 10, 2007, 10:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Dan Scott Blog Extra: Random Thoughts ]

I would have to disagree with this comment. I am a diehard Clemson fan but I could not honestly compare our situation to Florida. They are a fantastic team and a great coach and even though they lost to Auburn they did not look like Clemson did against GT, and if VT is our LSU then what the heck is BC going to do to us! BC is a more solid team than VT and will demolish Clemson if we look like we have the last two weeks. Putting wins and losses aside, I am most concerned about the lack of passion I am seeing from our players and coaching staff for that matter. If Clemson would have lost to GT and VT but played hard and to their fullest I would not be complaining, but they didn?t. They lacked confidence and with the talent we have I don?t understand why we look like we have. Our special teams have been horrendous since Bowdon has been here but that was not our only issue that needs to be dealt with. I agree with everyone on the board who is saying we need to wait it out to the end of the season before making a decision concerning Tommy Bowdon but I am tired of being a mediocre team with superb players.

Oct 9, 2007, 2:07 PM

It would appear to me that the one common denominator in this fraction of a a football team we call our own is Brad Scott. First off, since when does Clemson pick up the scrap rejects from South Carolina? A running back is a running back. Gaining yards with the rush does not require a phenominal running back. It requires a strong motivated offensive line. If the line creates the holes, then anyone could run through them. How do you justify having not one, but two of the best backs in the NCAA and not be able to "get the run going". Mistakes happen and Murphy's Law will prevail. It is expected to have SOMETHING go wrong in every game. It just happened to be Special Teams in this one. The ability to bounce back is measured by a solid offensive attack to stay in the game when the unexpected happens. Bottom line is, Bowden has it together OVERALL. His one weakness is that he won't pull players when they screw up and he won't fire assistants when they can't get the job done. The problem isn't Bowden, and it isn't Rob Spence...it's the pathetic excuse for an O Line that we have with an extreme lack of depth. Every year we face injuries like the plague. When will they recruit solid athletes that will block for 60 minutes of football???? Until that happens, the heartbreak will continue. And IF Bowden does get fired, we need to pay Spurrier whatever he wants to come and fix Clemson!

Steve Spurrier Comment

Oct 9, 2007, 2:51 PM

If Steve Spurrier were to walk onto our field as anything other than as an opposing coach I would resign from my Tiger Loyalty. He might be a good coach but that does not make him a good enough person or have enough CHARACTER to coach my Clemson Tigers. I would cheer the day Spurrier gets run over by a bus.

Your Spurrier comment is the worst I've read on TigerNet.

Oct 9, 2007, 3:04 PM

You say, "I would cheer the day Spurrier gets run over by a bus." And yet you say that Spurrier isn't a good enough person and doesn't have enough character? Wow! How ironic! I've never heard Spurrier say anything so horrible and unchristian.

I would rather have Spurrier as a coach than you as a Tiger fan. Any day.

Re: Steve Spurrier Comment

Oct 9, 2007, 7:54 PM [ in reply to Steve Spurrier Comment ]

while you walked, the rest of us would cheer. we would have an ACC title by now with Spurrier coaching. He is getting his team to exceed with less talent.

Re: Steve Spurrier Comment

Oct 10, 2007, 3:06 PM

That was my point!! Glad someone agrees. Spurrier is long since known as a "ruthless" coach. He goes for the throat and will not give up until he reaches the top. Bowden, though an admirable man in the christian sense, will settle for mediocrity. He makes excuses and promises to fix this problem or that, but he ONLY enforces this in practice. In other words, if one player beats the other out in practice they are in for the whole game as a reward for "earning the position". Even if they fail to get the job done, he will not pull the player out during the game. Spurrier gives his players a few plays before they are snatched. Spurrier has a SENIOR quarterback sitting the bench while a freshman wins the games regardless of what the senior has done in previous years or games. He requires 110% effort from every player on every play. He doesn't act like he OWES them anything just because they have been around a few years. Our players don't "finish the job", as Bowden calls it, because he doesn't force them to. If a player isn't giving the effort for the entire game, PULL HIM OUT. Even if means subbing the entire offense. At least that will get the point across. All the talent in the world doesn't amount to anything without motivation and effort.

Not lynching TB after ONE loss. NINE YEARS of mediocrity!!!

Oct 9, 2007, 2:36 PM

Nobody is saying fire Bowden today. They're saying start interviewing today so that you can fire him in January.

Bowden hasn't finished better than middle-of-the-pack in the ACC for NINE YEARS. That's not good enough. There are LOTS of coaches out there who run clean, winning programs. It's not like we have have to choose between a winning program OR a clean program. Most of the perennial Top 25 programs are respectable.

VT and Clemson have comparable athletes. VT is perennially successful on special teams (and in general). Clemson is a perennial failure on special teams. Obviously their coaches are better than our coaches. I just want Clemson to have top tier coaches too.

Here's a list of head-coach candidates from Rivals.com.
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=705744

And here's a list from Sporting News.
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=277335

In addition, there are several candidates from the NFL that would be excellent choices, such as Bill Cowher (if we could get him).

Re: Not lynching TB after ONE loss. NINE YEARS of mediocrity!!!

Oct 10, 2007, 3:39 PM

There are classy winners, and classy losers as well as poor winners and poor losers. Regardless of classy or poor, a LOSER is a LOSER and a WINNER is a WINNER. Bowden could be the Virgin Mary or the Son of Satan and it doesn't amount to a hill of beans if he can't get the job done. Someone has to be held accountable. If it is his secondary staff rather than he himself, then fire them! If it is him, fire him. Just once, I would like to have them be respected as a top contender without the heartbreak and letdown we get every single year. That's what everyone wants. We haven't even had a 10 and 2 year since Danny Ford was fired. Let alone any form of Championship.

Oct 10, 2007, 10:08 AM

Dan, I respect you a lot, but you are way to easy on TB. I know it is awkward for you being the Clemson Media Guy, but Blogs like that take a hit on your credibility. There is no excuse for what's going on here at Clemson. The national sports media is laughing at us. Dan, to play the graduation and arrest card is pitiful. We are not talking about graduation rates. We are talking about football. It is time to pull the trigger and fire that guy. He is a nice guy, and the team has taken on his personality. They are nice not nasty, physical, or tough. They are just soft and nice.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic