Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo's Blind Spot
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Dabo's Blind Spot

Aug 13, 2017, 8:37 AM

Don't get me wrong, I love Dabo and think he is a great coach. I hope he remains here until he retires. I just think he has a blind spot when it comes to QBs. I think he sometimes overvalues loyalty and tenure and does not always go with the best guy at QB.

We saw it when he insisted to go with Cole Stoudt when it was clear to all of us that the best QB that season was Watson. His decision may have cost us a couple games that season. I just don't want to see this type of mistake repeated again and cost us a chance for the playoffs.

For OUR offense with all our elite receivers, you need someone who can deliver the rock consistently. I just think Kelly Bryant is not as consistent throwing the ball and that will frustrate our talented receivers. I just don't want to see what happened to Alabama's receivers with Hurd, happen to us.

We are not called Wide Receiver U (WRU) for nothing. Let's put someone in there like Hunter who can better "deliver the goods".

Does anyone else agree?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I, for one, will not tolerate the outcome Bammer had last year!

Aug 13, 2017, 8:44 AM

National Championship runners-up?

NO WAY!!!

BEST IS THE STANDARD!!!

Get this qb situation fixed IMMEDIATELY before we play any games, Dabo, or you're out the door!

Best Wishes,

~JKB

Re: Dabo's Blind Spot

Aug 13, 2017, 8:47 AM

Dabo is going to play the kid who is most prepared , whether it be from a purely athletic standpoint or one that combines athleticism and decision making based on the kid's preparation.
If you're basing your premise on the Stoudt/Watson thing you have to remember, Stoudt came out when it became apparent that Watson was mentally ready to play at the level he needed to be . The arm and athletic ability are just a portion of what CDS has to see to make that call .

Good morning .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

^^^This

Aug 13, 2017, 11:15 PM

It's like playing an running back that knows the running plays but can't block yet/

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2017, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's Blind Spot ]

The only thing that held Deshaun back vs. stiff Cole Stoudt was Dabo. Cost us a win against UGA. The only thing that can hold #1 ranked 5 star QB is Dabo. Blind spot.

Clemson's ability to get to 2 championship games was more on Deshaun.

Good grief

Aug 13, 2017, 8:49 AM

I have nothing against the mentally challenged, but we gotta stop letting coot trolls take root in here.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Aug 13, 2017, 8:51 AM

Well, put it like this....Dabo or Trump? Pffftttt! Wrong bored?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We ain't got time for this

Aug 13, 2017, 8:55 AM
image.jpg(84.1 K)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2017, 8:55 AM

Coot fans should be experts on blind spots

This will go well.***

Aug 13, 2017, 9:33 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Lots of fail here***

Aug 13, 2017, 9:52 AM

Yes, the Fail is strong with this one.***

Aug 14, 2017, 1:02 AM

Aug 13, 2017, 11:07 AM

I think people need to rewind.

Cole Stoudt was not exactly chopped liver. Actually he was a 6'4" QB with a fairly strong arm who assuredly had the bloodlines - keep in mind his dad was an NFL QB - and he was more mobile and athletic than people give him credit for; the guy could scramble and move the chains with his feet and he was mobile and athletic enough to throw on the move and extend plays. He had at least borderline NFL physical talent and maybe more than that.

We saw distinct flashes of what his ceiling was. He had one game as a junior where he set a Clemson record completing 19 of 20 passes or something ridiculous like that. He looked really good in the Spring Game when he crushed Chad Kelly, sending Kelly off the deep end. He looked really good in the first quarter of the Georgia game, came out slinging with authority and for the briefest of moments it didn't look like we were going to drop off from Tajh Boyd at all. He looked awesome pretty much all game tossing and catching against Oklahoma in his final start.

What happened in the middle, IMHO, was more of a psychological train wreck than lack of talent. He had one year left to make the NFL. He had Deshaun Watson breathing down his neck. And maybe most disconcertingly, he had a position coach and coordinator in Chad Morris who really wanted to coach Watson before he left for SMU. And oh, yeah, just to add to the fun, Stoudt messed up his shoulder and was playing hurt the whole season too.

If that goes another way, I think we remember Stoudt a different way. I think he mostly got unlucky more than he just couldn't play.

Also keep in mind that Deshaun Watson had broken his shoulder in the Spring and hadn't played, and was playing catch-up through Fall practice. So the gap between the two players wasn't exactly glaring. Sometimes you just need to put them in against live bullets before you see which guy is the gamer and I think that's exactly what happened - the separation came mostly after the two QB's started seeing live fire.

So...yeah, the hook probably should have been quicker, but you can also understand why it wasn't.

Sometimes you just don't know how it's going to go until you roll it out there and see. And hindsight is always 20/20.

As usual... a voice of reason.***

Aug 13, 2017, 11:47 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^This obvious truth has been discussed and reiterated

Aug 13, 2017, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's Blind Spot ]

hundreds if not thousands of times. The cliff notes are - if anyone still truly believes Dabo forced in Stoudt simply because of seniority, then they are dumb, a coot, or at best ignorant ("clueless").

When 100% healthy, Stoudt was a very good college QB.***

Aug 13, 2017, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's Blind Spot ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Maybe. He had 2 good games and 1 pretty good game on

Aug 13, 2017, 11:12 PM

the season, and 2 of those came during that stretch where he was supposedly bad because he was injured. His performance at GT was one of the worst I've ever seen from a QB.

If Stoudt had Brandon Streeter as a coach all season he would probably have taken is all the way

Aug 13, 2017, 5:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's Blind Spot ]

I cannot remember a greater transformation than Stoudt between the regular season to the LSU bowl game. It was nothing short of stunning.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We took the LSU Sooners to the woodshed in that one***

Aug 13, 2017, 5:53 PM

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: If Stoudt had Brandon Streeter as a coach all season he would probably have taken is all the way

Aug 14, 2017, 6:29 AM [ in reply to If Stoudt had Brandon Streeter as a coach all season he would probably have taken is all the way ]

It's almost like he was given a month to get his shoulder healthy

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

I never really saw the arm strength with Stoudt

Aug 13, 2017, 11:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's Blind Spot ]

I always thought he had a fairly weak arm. Probably average by college standards, but the weakest arm we had had at QB in some time.

A thousand times, this. The whole Dabo knock

Aug 14, 2017, 7:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's Blind Spot ]

about being overly loyal to upper classmen is just lazy. He made a judgement call based on factors none of us had access to. It is silly to assume it was wrong. For all we know Deshaun would have gotten shell shocked if he went in too early. I'd say overall it has worked out well.

null

Chris Fowler is that You? or You Just Anti Clemson***

Aug 13, 2017, 11:46 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you, are sh1tty at trolling***

Aug 13, 2017, 11:47 AM

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

I think you're clueless, at best.

Aug 13, 2017, 11:48 AM

But other than that..

Re: I think you're clueless, at best.

Aug 13, 2017, 12:22 PM

What are you basing this opinion on? I have not seen KB, ZC,HJ or CB start a game yet. I have not even seen a live scrimmage of these guys yet. So what facts are you using to pick our next quarterback with. One thing I do know is Brandon Streeter, Tony Elliott, Jeff Scott and Dabo Swinney have been watching and grading their every move for the last 8 months. I think they are better positioned to make this call than anyone else. I trust our National Championship coaches.

Aug 13, 2017, 1:12 PM

Don't forget he stuck with Kyle Parker entirely too long.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2017, 3:54 PM

Yep, I forgot about Parker. Some people on here will defend all decisions 100%......sorta like Trump supporters. Sometimes, you have to take the good with the bad and feel lucky that the good is around 90%!

Re: Dabo's Blind Spot- Geez, this is just toooo easy

Aug 13, 2017, 4:40 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No

Aug 13, 2017, 5:00 PM

Do you recall the garbage quarterback we most recently beat? Talking bout "Mr next-years heisman", per eSPIN. How many times in that game could Bammer have straight up walked away from us if only they had the kind of receivers we had.

AND I think KB is 12x better than Jalen tHurd.

Lots of teams i.e. anOSU, UT, UF Sakerlina, would love to have the talet we have in KB.

Give me a break. The stars we have are sought after by everyone

Aug 13, 2017, 5:41 PM

The blind spots belong to tiger netters who dance to the troll tunes.

No. Reading your post history confirms it. No.***

Aug 13, 2017, 11:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic