Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why So Many RB's??
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 2,542

Why So Many RB's??

May 21, 2013, 11:40 PM

Okay, so every day it seems like we've offered yet another...... you guessed it...... running back. The most recent additions being 2015 prospects Bryce Love (NC) and Chris Warren (TX). Not to mention, consider this: For 2014 we've already offered 6 RB's: Caleb Kinlaw (SC), Stanley Williams (GA), Johnathan Vickers (FL), Joe Mixon (CA), Donte Thomas-Williams (NC), Racean Thomas (AL). And this doesn't even take into account the RB's we've offered that have already given a verbal commitment (which TigerNation has learned, quite painfully that, until signing day, are Never set in stone). I mean, unless we're planning to transition half these guys over to different positions (i.e. corner backs, safeties, WR's, special teams, etc..), then I don't see why we've offered such a large number of them. I'm beginning to get a little frustrated with Jeff Scott, Coach Caldwell, and the boys...

They must know something we don't. I really hope that's the case. Because if not, then we're wasting our time scouting out only one position need and holding ourselves back from focusing on equally important pieces (namely, the defensive side).

Anybody with me on this? Or am I just a wet match in a dark cave here?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RB's tend to be the best athletes on teams

May 21, 2013, 11:59 PM

Espcially at small school. They will get a crack at RB, and if they don't make it, they can be moved somewhere else. Hill and Coleman both started at RB before transitioning to defense.

Re: Why So Many RB's??

May 22, 2013, 12:05 AM

I think they know what they're doing. A lot of the guys are purely just for depth. In 2014 if we have Zac Brooks, Wayne Gallman, Tyshon Dye, DJ Howard, Jae'lon Oglesby, and CJ Fuller (forgive me if I've missed any) only a few can get snaps and the best players will play.

Good teams build deep rosters and 6 running backs is all right. Maybe pusing it a little, but someone may change spots. But all of those guys were 3-4 stars coming out of high school and it just gives the coaches options. If Dye and Brooks get most of the snaps and one goes down we still have Gallman and the crew behind them to fill in.

You answered your own question...twice.

May 22, 2013, 12:40 AM

1.Verbal commitments are "never set in stone".

2. "They must know something we don't".

Do you really think that the coaches are only "scouting out one position" and not "focusing on equally important ones" ?????

And, have you even looked at last years defensive commitments?

Good grief.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Couldnt agree with you more!!

May 22, 2013, 3:48 AM

i think the logic here is that DJ Howard and Mcdowell are going to be gone after next year and i think they like the idea of bringing in RB rotations that in the same class so they can progress together and compete appeals to the coaches. but you are right its overkill!

It goes back to recruiting elite talent. We need to quit giving away scholarships to mediocre talent just to fill roster spots. that what it sounds like here

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Couldnt agree with you more!!

May 22, 2013, 6:19 AM

Howard actually has another year after 2013.

Also, our 2 commits for 2014 have work to do in the classroom, even by their own admissions. Would be crazy to not bring one more big RB on.

Dabo knows***

May 22, 2013, 6:40 AM

Re: Dabo knows***

May 22, 2013, 6:50 AM

Yep!!! That's why he makes the big bucks$$$$$$$$

There are offers and then there are committable offers.

May 22, 2013, 6:40 AM

Some of those kids may be told, "We like you, but we have room in this class for only three RBs. So, if you want to come here, you'll have to wait and see who does and doesn't commit ahead of you."

Some others are being told, "You definitely have a place on this team, but if two guys commit before you, we'll have to close the door on your offer."

If you plan on taking three, you have to offer 10 and let them know they had better jump on it if they want to play here.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

pretty sure they know what they're doing***

May 22, 2013, 6:53 AM

Re: pretty sure they know what they're doing***

May 22, 2013, 9:24 AM

1 not every player we offer is going to commit
2 all of our backs are projects ,even Howard and Brooks
3 the guys from last year arent ready for college ball yet
4 we missed on many guys that could have helped

Wasn't long ago folks were bemoaning a lack of depth at RB

May 22, 2013, 6:57 AM

After Gurshall signed with JawJaw, the board was awash with "We don't have depth at RB .... We're one injury away from catastrophe at RB ... We'll never get a running game going at this rate"...etc.

Now, because we offer quality players at RB we're not focusing on the needs at hand?

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ This ^^^ We need at least 3 guys who could "start" & win

May 22, 2013, 8:25 AM

Right now, we don't have that ...

Injuries, attrition, just keeping fresh legs in the game.

All crucial at the RB position.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, our coaching staff has no clue what their doing

May 22, 2013, 7:39 AM

when it comes to recruiting.

Chad drawing up new 5-Back-4-Mation. It's the newest thing!***

May 22, 2013, 7:41 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why So Many RB's??

May 22, 2013, 7:47 AM

Howard will prob leave because he will really isn't that good of a rb. I have never like gallmans rb film think he will move to lb. Mcdowell is gone and Zac brooke has not put on the weight the needed him too. CJ fuller is being brouht in to be a CB. The painful truth isy that we really lack talent at rb.

"They must know something YOU don't know." Hit your

May 22, 2013, 8:16 AM

head on the nail right there my friend.

CJ Fuller is coming in as an athlete, but hopes to play RB

May 22, 2013, 8:20 AM

He may very well play corner when all is said and done.

We're switching to the Wishbone, current offense hasn't

May 22, 2013, 8:36 AM

worked out so well for us. ;)

Ever heard of the words???

May 22, 2013, 8:37 AM

1. Depth?
2. Injuries
3. "Redshirt"
4. Academic Inelligibility
5. Transfers
6. Alternate Position development
7. Attrition
8. Competition
9. Graduation
10. Leaving early for NFL

Our coaches must be clueless:

That darn Dabo and that crazy Chad!! They are just recruiting way to many quality athletes at one position. What ever is their logic in this?? (Smiles)

Go Tigers!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably not taking Kinlaw

May 22, 2013, 9:40 AM

the latest Rivals article on him is that he's stronly considering Marshall

BC we're not going to sign them all...

May 22, 2013, 10:03 AM

Our staff must be content with the current offers. We would more than likely lay off some of the other RB's if we gain a commitment from 1-2 of our current offers.

It's playing it safe and seeing who wants to come to Clemson the most.

Indeed

May 22, 2013, 10:20 AM

You make offers to players you think will help you.

Among those offers are folks you want more than others and as such the offers to some are time-sensitive (strongly commit before these other guys and you have a spot) and some are absolute (we'll always make room for you).

In a system where no offers can be signed and sealed immediately (due to a unified signing day) its really the only way to try and get guys you want the most while also making sure if you miss on those guys you get other guys who you believe can help your team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 2,542
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic