Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo gets attacked for making a joke....oh brother
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Dabo gets attacked for making a joke....oh brother

Jun 12, 2019, 8:06 AM

When exactly did we stop being "funny" and start being "perpetually offended" anyways?

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/clemson-tigers-dabo-swinney-usama-bin-dabo

Shame on these self-aggrandizing media clowns for attacking him (Finebaum, Brando, etc..).

Anybody that was offended really needs to spend some time self-reflecting trying to figure out what's broken inside.

It was a funny joke...holy cow!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Long before they started tearing down statues of great men.***

Jun 12, 2019, 8:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Long before they started tearing down statues of great men.***

Jun 12, 2019, 10:16 AM

...and speaking of great men, this should be required reading by all. The history is as simple as it is complicated, but he was, by every definition we attribute to the term, a good man.

Go Tigers!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Long before they started tearing down statues of great men.***

Jun 12, 2019, 12:07 PM

Amen to that. A southerner with intelligence and charisma is detested by the mainstream. It threatens the existence of the shallow world they walk in. A great book to read for sure.

Re: Long before they started tearing down statues of great men.******

Jun 12, 2019, 2:43 PM [ in reply to Long before they started tearing down statues of great men.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: Dabo gets attacked for making a joke....oh brother

Jun 12, 2019, 8:16 AM

Make sure to go to the comments section at the bottom of the article on the fox website. Refreshing.

Pretty good stuff. I even saw deadsolidperfect in there***

Jun 12, 2019, 8:48 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Social media = Miranda rights

Jun 12, 2019, 8:17 AM

Anything you say can and WILL be used against you.

It's a great platform for people to look for things with which to take offense and then grandstand as though they're better than that person because they're being critical.

As much as I enjoy social media most of the time, I'm almost ready for it to live out its life and be gone so we can go back to actually talking to people we actually know about things that are actually important.

Give a person a Twitter account and all of a sudden they think they're important and that their opinion is desired.

Nobody can take a joke anymore. Granted, this was kind of a bad joke, but clearly no offense was meant nor was it as a swipe at 9/11. Somebody makes a stupid joke - let it die its own stupid joke death. Geez.

I liked all the comments about the article. Nobody

Jun 12, 2019, 8:20 AM

sided with the negativity. If you are going to jokingly compare yourself to a villain, why not go with one of the worst of all-time, Now if a Bama fan had compared him to bin Laden in a vicious manner that might have been an issue.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The real reason this is such a big deal is its a 24 hour

Jun 12, 2019, 8:41 AM

news cycle and they're running out of stuff to talk about. Especially in the college football realm. Someone dug this up and they've had it on the docket for a while for the slow period. I wouldn't give it too much thought. Its unfortunate they have to hit DAbo but when you're on top this comes with the territory.

Jun 12, 2019, 9:07 AM

Used to listen to his local show way before he went Sirius XM and then ESPN/SEC Network. There were many, many days he made racist comments on his show, degrading or inappropriate comments, etc back when nobody was listening outside of Alabama. I was shocked when the 4 letter put him on knowing his past and their left leaning management and viewpoints. If anyone wanted to dig them up and play them in his face it wouldn’t be hard. Dabo’s comment was vapor in the wind comparatively speaking. Ridiculous uproar.

Jun 12, 2019, 2:12 PM

Hopefully someone here knows how to find these old quotes..

Jun 12, 2019, 9:16 AM

There is great power in being offended.

No one is more butthurt about it than Finebaum

Jun 12, 2019, 9:17 AM

sorry we killed your beloved Bama, Finebaum. But you're a grown-ass man, get over it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No one is more butthurt about it than Finebaum

Jun 12, 2019, 5:24 PM

that is just it, he may not be a grown ### man, he is just a nerd who knows nothing about football except acting like he is some sort of Football Brainiac, a sucker is born every minute, ...

Jun 12, 2019, 9:23 AM

These snowflakes need to get a grip! Is Dabo now going to be the Trunp of college football? Attacked by haters that somehow connect dots that can't reasonably be connected for everything he says? I'm just glad he didn't say "Hitler" … or that would have upped the ante to killing 6 million people! Yeesh!

Was waiting on that. I hope Dabo ignores them all.***

Jun 12, 2019, 9:31 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2019, 9:49 AM

Make no mistake, the left wing media has been looking for a reason to destroy Dabo since he came on the scene with all of his religious talk. Nothing they hate more than a non muslim talking about God and you can bet your sweet ### they are digging through his past 24/7 looking for anything they can use to discredit and ultimately remove him from national prominence.

I'm hoping someone makes some Osama Bin Dabo T Shirts

Jun 12, 2019, 10:24 AM

Would be a best seller - maybe T-Town Graphics will do it?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Listened to Mark Packer destroy a caller over this yesterday

Jun 12, 2019, 10:29 AM

Some fool called in, calling it a "mistake" and a "step back" and wondering if Dabo would apologize.

Pack basically said though he wouldn't have said that, it's a total non-story and anyone making a big deal out of it should be ashamed of themselves. Especially since he said that in February.

Re: Listened to Mark Packer destroy a caller over this yesterday

Jun 12, 2019, 11:41 AM

That was me and Packer in no way "destroyed" me for what I said. First I asked his opinion of what Dabo said because of his close relationship with Coach Swinney. When I first read about it, I assumed it was on Packer's show because of how often he has Dabo on. Mark clarified that it wasn't his show. I did call the statement "a rare misstep", because that's how I view it. Packer agreed with that and he said that he would not have said it. What he really took issue with the fact that this was said in February and is becoming an issue today, well yesterday. (That is something I also agree with, but hey, welcome to the offseason.) In my mind, Packer was taking issue with David Hood's shining a light on this so many months later, than the question itself. The way I viewed Pack's take is that there's professional courtesy in journalism, and Mark can't throw David Hood under the boat by name for digging up a lost quote from 4 months ago, even if he wanted to.

And what this really tells me is, nobody listens to Coach K's show. Lol.

Here's the transcript of what was said in the phone call:

Me: "Hey Packer, I wanted to get your take on this because I know you're close with the coach. But, I could not believe when I read this morning when Dabo Swinney comparing himself to Osama bin laden calling himself Osama Bin Dabo or whatever. That's a rare misstep for the coach, and he is so likable, and he's said so many good things and done the right things, that's a rare misstep. And that's just a zone you don't go into dude. Well, I just dunno."

Packer: "Well I heard that today, and, um, somebody, in fact it was Wes Durham asked me this morning, uh we had said something about it and he said, 'Pack did that happen on your show?', and I said that I don't ever remember him saying that, and I've done a gazillion interviews with him, uh and I don't remember him saying that and then I saw the quote and it was labeled to SiriusXM, and said recently on SiriusXM. SO I ws thinking he must have said it on another channel or somebody else interviewed him I don't know what it is, but when I read the quote, the first thing I was like, well I don't know where it came from so here's what it is. So would I have said it? I wouldn't have. Um, but that was what Dabo said. I found out later, cause I did not know the answer to this where it happened, it did not happen on our show or a camp tour, it happened on he made an appearance on Mike Krzyzewski's show. In Feburary. And the thing I was amazed about was #1, I would not have done that but he did. So he said it, he's got to own up to it. And #2, I can't believe somebody would think something that was said in February became newsworthy in June."

Me. "Yeah. Yeah. David Hood I think is the one that dug up the quote. And, I mean, I get what he's (Dabo) trying to say, "

(we talked over each other a bit here)

Packer: "I would not have used that"

Me: "and the perfect term is Persona non grata"

Packer: "Right."

Me: "Persona non grata. ya know"

Packer:"Right"

Me. "That's what you need to say."

Packer. I think. I know what he's trying to say, wh, in terms of I went to favorite son to the now I'm the enemy, uh per se. But I wouldn't have used that as an example, but he did. And um, you said it back in February and now somebody is going to try and make an issue out of it in June. Hey what ever makes the world go around. I wouldn't have said it, I understand what he's trying to say. There's probably 18,000 different examples you could use, uh to lessen the blow per se, but I really don't think it's that big a deal. I really don't."

Me: "Do you think he'll end up issuing an apology over it? Do you think it's going to get to that level?"

Packer: "I dunno. In this crazy news cycle that we live in, I suspect that by Thursday, we'll be on to something else."

(We talked over each other again)

Me: "Probably by in the morning

Packer: "But the fact that something that something could be said on a national radio program four months ago now becomes something that should be discussed today is almost comical. I wouldn't have said it, but he did, but here we are four months later trying to find something."

Me. "Alright thanks for taking my call. Appreciate it."

Packer: "Ok. That's kind of how I feel about it. I would not have used that example if it were me. But Dabo's got to own up to it in one way or another. To be honest, I think it's kind of a non issue. If people went crazy about it in February, when he made the statement, so be it. Like I said, two days later you'll be on to something else with the news cycle. I wouldn't have used that example. But he did. And he did it four months ago. So if people want to make a big deal out of it, I guess you've got nothing else to do. Back to the phones..."

So if that's your definition of getting destroyed, I got destroyed. The point I was trying to make I know he was trying to make a joke, but as the head football coach of a major university, you need to be socially aware enough to know that there are some that will be triggered by that name. There are so many other ways you can make the same point. Should Dabo be crucified for this. No. Are folks making a bigger deal out of this than it really is? Yes. But that doesn't mean that there's no culpability for the words. There are. 9/11 was to painful of a day for many Americans to casually joke about it.

Peace and God Bless America.

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Jun 12, 2019, 11:53 AM

And the worst part of it is that all of this takes away from the big mental health campaign that Dabo and Clemson are pushing right now.

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Jun 12, 2019, 12:13 PM

You seem mental for that to bother you enough to post the entire transcript as a rebuttal. Wow?

Jun 12, 2019, 2:25 PM

I was thinking the same thing but was really scared I wasn’t properly reflecting on my thoughts so as not to offend anybody for anything that may have ever happened in the history of the world. So sick of the handcuffs the left has tried to put on thoughts and speech.

Jun 12, 2019, 10:33 AM

It had nothing to do with 9/11. His comment was related to the fact Usama had to hide in caves, etc, to escape detection. Anyone with an iota of common sense should have been able to make the connection. Personally, I though his reference to Usama was a clever statement that flew over the heads of the less intelligent.

Keep 'em coming Dabo. You've got the so-called pundits grasping for straws and their responses to your comments confirms their bias and stupidity.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2019, 5:31 PM

THIS

Jun 12, 2019, 11:50 AM

Today’s world is too sensitive

Jun 12, 2019, 11:59 AM

And Paul Finebaum is am expert on "distasteful." After all, he has to listen to his own show everyday.

Jun 12, 2019, 11:59 AM

He had to reach around all of the way back to February to find something so he could be "outragred" about now? What a maroon.

Just got an alert on my phone that someone mentioned

Jun 12, 2019, 12:12 PM

reach around.

Signed,

classof1994®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Just got an alert on my phone that someone mentioned

Jun 12, 2019, 12:16 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Jun 12, 2019, 12:13 PM

Ridiculous to say the least, but no different than the way people reacted to the NFL protests making it about something it was not.

Finebaum is using the deaths of 9/11 to increase his ratings.

Jun 12, 2019, 1:25 PM

He knows his livelihood thrives on controversy. Any half-intelligent person knows that there is no connection between Dabo's silly comments and the memory of those who were killed on 9/11.

Therefore, Finebaum wants to MAKE that connection to gain attention in order to enrich himself. It's disgusting and I will now never listen to another clip of him ever again.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who didn't see this coming. I knew it as soon as I read it.***

Jun 12, 2019, 2:41 PM

GO TIGERS!!

Re: Who didn't see this coming. I knew it as soon as I read it.***

Jun 12, 2019, 3:04 PM

If you look at the context of what was said, Coach K’s comments are probably more insensitive than CDS’s comment. Think Hale or Finebaum will attack Coach K?

Jun 12, 2019, 3:20 PM

I knew when we caved on the Confederate Flag in SC it was just the beginning. Now it’s statues, renaming buildings, rewriting history and on and on and on. It will never be enough. And this stuff with Dabo just shows how crazy some people in the world are!

The NFL Owner’s have joined the group of nut jobs because they want to eliminate the word owner because it makes it sound as if they own people. How stupid is that line of thinking. What about a homeowner does that mean you also own the people that live there. Same goes for business owners, does he own his employees???

Has so many people just gone nuts and lost their minds. Where will it stop? Will it stop?

This crap with Dabo just shows the media and certain people are looking for anything to bring down powerful successful Christian men like Dabo.

I don’t know Nick Saban’s heart but if he is a man of faith he hides it well. You don’t see Saban being attacked like Dabo is attacked frequently. Saban has said some pretty stupid things during press conferences yet he is never called out.

This kind of stupid stuff just makes me so angry. People are raising the roof about a joke when kids are staving to death, drugs are out of control, the world has a lot of serious problems. Yet they spend so much energy attacking Dabo and Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2019, 4:02 PM

I agree it's absurd, but has nothing to do with any of the situations you mentioned.

The confederated flag represented an ideology that believed african americans were not equal to whites and it needed to go. Buildings named after blatant racists should be renamed.

If getting rid of these things bothers you then you sir are a snowflake.

No, it's the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia...

Jun 12, 2019, 4:09 PM

it represented that and our 2nd War of Independence, but simpletons such as you fall prey to ignorance on the dailies.

You'll be hard pressed to find many in the world from that day that believed the Negro was equal, no one celebrates that, people celebrate the heroic and other great deeds, you're just too stupid to know better.

Are you banned, JHop? Have you no integrity, or is the Lounge Left that desperately in need of morons to fill their ranks?

Re: No, it's the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia...

Jun 12, 2019, 4:20 PM

So it's ok to be racist as long as everybody else is....gotcha.

The south lost so the flag never should have been there and after being taken up by racist organizations like the KKK who terrorized african americans in this country only a POS would be bothered by the removal of it.

Maybe if you had the ability to think about someone other than yourself you would feel the same.

No princess, you're not going to separate the world

Jun 12, 2019, 4:34 PM

from the view, never. Science of that day supported the differences in mankind: Types of Mankind, 1854, just one text. We're they right? No. Did we learn, evolve? Yes. Are we better now? Absolutely.

No one I know celebrates racism or its evils, those were common understandings of their day, supported by scientific belief and empirical data/observation. That's evolution, we celebrate the great men and their great deeds, and understand that trying to look at those days through today's lens is a ridiculous exercise, willfully stupid in fact, but that's you all over.

The US Flag stands for a great nation & its Constitution, a Constitution that galvanized slavery in the United States with the 3/5ths Compromise.

We can't separate our or the world's history from slavery, or bigotry, no more than the Kingdoms of Africa that sold millions of their own into the middle passage. It's a world blight, no culture known that hasn't known its shackles, no matter the color of their skin.

Heck, the 4th World African was eating pygmy under 20 years ago because they believed pygmy flesh contained magical properties. Maybe while you're chasing rain clouds, you can take in the local fare?

Now, aren't you banned Skeeter? Or JHop? Have you no integrity? No need to answer, your presence is answer enough.

Re: No princess, you're not going to separate the world

Jun 12, 2019, 4:39 PM

Actually we can separate ourselves from it the best we can....and in the mean time we'll just have to put up with angry old farts like you until they die and make the world a better place.

No, we can't; celebrating the great that men do and have

Jun 12, 2019, 4:41 PM

done, doesn't mean we celebrate the times they lived in or generally accepted principles of that time.

You're just not bright enough to know better or see the difference.

Re: No, we can't; celebrating the great that men do and have

Jun 12, 2019, 4:54 PM

Ok well the flag came down, so it looks like we can.

And? It doesn't change a thing, not even you being

Jun 12, 2019, 5:02 PM

ignorant of which flag it is or its purpose.

The good news JHop, the world is full of the painfully practiced such as you, never a singular independent thought, just the same droning and tired routine, so when your time is up, you'll have plenty of company.

People as dim as you oft times fall to natural selection, I'm guessing it takes you before time takes me.

Re: And? It doesn't change a thing, not even you being

Jun 12, 2019, 5:09 PM

The only sheep here it sounds like is you.

See I have the ability to recognize that other people in this world have different experiences and different feelings than me. Thankfully great people throughout history have had this same ability or else African Americans might still be in slavery.

The south ain’t rising again pal, but you can still fly your little flag on your garage and wear your Dixie outfitter shirts if you’d like.

The South is a wonderful place and the why so many

Jun 12, 2019, 5:15 PM

Yankees and their companies have left the cold, dark, dank reaches, similar to your mind as any hope of intellectual integrity abandoned you long ago.

No, slavery wasn't going to still exist today, save in Africa where it's been part of the culture for thousands of years, but you wax ridiculous all you want.

You being stupid doesn't help you do anything, but be stupid. Now, unless that was your goal, you certainly don't need my help - you nailed it.

Jun 12, 2019, 4:51 PM

It is a bunch of crap which these guys are full of.......hope it makes Dabo mad and he takes it out on Bama next season .........apparently they didn’t get the message last season and need to be taken back to the wood shed for a longer stay this time....... Go Tigers!!!!!

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic